Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newby to Forum. New hat questions

jrbobbyh

New in Town
Hello. A very little background: I have had a black Stetson Temple for a long time, and adjusted it myself to a flatter brim and more pinched front. I like the tapered crown it has. Also wear two different Panamas in the Summer.

So now I want a grey hat, and of nicer quality. I am considering going with a Stetson Pinnacle in Caribou and try to somewhat adjust it like I did to my Temple. That would be fast gratification.

But some reading of this forum has me considering a custom. Honestly, I would probably not change much from the Temple shape except as I have done with mine, other than a slightly narrower and different ribbon ( eg. Dark grey ribbon on medium grey beaver ).

SO... What input/advice might you have? Can you give me an idea of the order time for a hat from a maker such as Art Fawcett? If I were to go that route, any advice on things to ask for/ think about?

I know that is a lot. Thanks for considering the questions.

Bobby

Mulceber

Practically Family
Sounds like you've been doing some thinking. First off, I think going custom rather than with Stetson is an excellent idea, if you're comfortable spending the money (personally I am, but there are plenty of people who aren't and that's fine too). First thought is check out this page on Art's website: ( http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/Fur_Info.htm ). Don't make a final decision on the color though until Art's sent you swatches. The order time is typically on the short side for custom hatters: mine's typically always been about 6 weeks, although it varies and Art could give you a better idea. As for things to ask for, you might consider Art's featherweight line, which uses some very nice, floppy, light-weight felt. Not saying you necessarily SHOULD go for it, as you may be the type of person who likes thicker felts, but it's an option to consider. Also, if you're looking for versatility, I've heard it argued that "dove" is the most versatile color in Art's stock. Might be worth considering in place of one of the medium grays. Finally, Art often does his best work when he has creative freedom. I mean, if you have a look in mind, feel free to tell him what you're looking for, but there have been numerous times when people have given the reigns over to Art and he's crafted a masterpiece for them, although you should probably give him an idea of what type of hats you often wear, what types of clothes you'll probably wear with it and send him a picture or two so that he can get an idea of the head he's crafting a hat for.

Also, if you choose not to go for Art, there are numerous other excellent custom hatters on the forum, such as Tumwater and Blacksheep hat works. The nice thing about custom is, the possibilities are endless. -M

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Merry Christmas Mr. jrbobbyh, and welcome to The Fedora Lounge! You have come to the right place to find answers to your questions, and I might suggest reading through the great wealth of information that the site holds. Many would concur that modern hats (those in production today) cannot compare to vintage hats in terms of quality. You mention you've had the Temple for a long time. How long? Many here have experienced a change in preferences over time, and you may experience this as well as you acquire a few lids. My advice is to look for quality vintage hats, and you can take that advice or disregard it as you wish!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
How floppy is the liteweight? I mean, my Stetson Saxon is what I consider stiff, and I have a wool Bailey and it is pliable but has some backbone to keep the crease (maybe ironed in for all I know). I read that some get vent holes and keep the liner out to wear in hotter weather, but I have no idea if it will hold up as well or how it compares to the regular felts I might come across

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
See this crease tutorial of a VS Dark Moss lightweight to assess the felt properties.

[video=vimeo;44565617]http://vimeo.com/44565617[/video]

I've had a couple of Pinnacles, still have the Caribou one, sold the black one.
If you can find one at a discount or used, it is a good felt if you like that block profile.
Too pricey at MSRP if you ask me. I'd get a custom for that price... or a couple of Akubras...

hutch

Familiar Face
In addition to the previously mentioned custom hatters check out these two websites: northwest hats.com and falconparkhattery.com. There are many reviews posted here on the FL for both of them. After reviewing these posts call them and speak to them directly. See what they can do for you, what the price would be, what the estimated turn around time is and then decide. Northwest hats can also be found on Facebook. Good luck!

jrbobbyh

New in Town
Incredible advice thus far. I think that I will try to talk with Art when I get back home and can take some pics of my present hats. Got some ideas from the falconparkhattery site, such as the Sicilian and Professor from the custom page. May need to eventually drive somewhere with a store where I can try on many different shapes (Hatco Outlet in Garland maybe?)
I don't remember when I bought my Temple. Maybe 18 years ago or so. Still in great condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21