Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice hat-wearing weather.

Doh!

One Too Many
It's a very rainy day here in Los Angeles, and I've been out in it a couple of times already. Luckily, my Jaxon Iconoclast is holding up quite nicely -- and keeping me high and dry.

Sinatra

Familiar Face
ok, a newbie question...

I have worn hats (felt fedoras) since highschool, however, as strange as this may seem, I have never worn them in the rain for fear that the rain would spot or stain the hat. Is that the case? I would love to wear my cool fedora in rainy weather instead of throwing on an ol' baseball hat, as long as it is safe to do so.

shamus

Suspended
I don't wear my "good" fedoras out in the rain, but I do wear my everyday Stetson Fedora (lightly beat up late 40's model). It's dark brown with an olive ribbon. Hides wear and tear pretty good.

Now if it's pouring I wear a boonie or just take an umbrella.

But never go hat-less.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rain and a fedora

I was in Chicago, visiting Optimo for my very first time. Kevin, who used to work there, noticed I was shy about the rainy weather falling on my newest Optimo. We were out for a tasty dinner..

He said, "That's what the hat is for" ...it won't hurt it a bit.

Well, I GOT SOAKED last big storm here recently, and my Optimo literally tapered like a big dog. My fault. It could not have gotten wetter if I swam in it.

It can be reblocked.

So, light rain has never hurt my hats, and the vintage seem to do better. I like to wear darker hats in rain, as the dust that every hat collects shows water spots worse than on dark hats.

My dark hats, are all wonderful in rain. My advice, use the hat as intended, for protection. If you plan on a hike in the woods, I suggest a PURE BEAVER hat. Not a rabbit blend. Art has PURE beaver hats, you will love how they hold up in ANYTHING.
IMHO

zeus36

A-List Customer
If it's really raining, I'll pull out my converted Stetson cowboy hat that I had Fedora (Steve D.) reblock and install a Grosgrain ribbon. It's got a four inch brim and keeps the water off my neck.

If I'm at work (like today) I've got my Akubra Federation beater hat for any weather here on the coast. Otherwise my Dobbs Fifth Avenue and trench coat take the water nicely.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As I've said before, I haven't the heart to wear one of my good hats in inclement weather, so I break out my splotchy and tapered Federation.

Just hold onto your hats in the wind!

Sinatra

Familiar Face
thanks for the answers :)

From the answers I gather, darker color is better, light rain - no problem.

I'll don my dark brown Dobbs and go singing in the rain :)
Thanks again guys :cheers1:

Rainy Day, Dream Away.

I have a canvas hat that's an Aussie style military where the one side can be snapped up to the crown and an early style boonie with the extra wide brim for rainy days.

Who says it never rains in California!

Sincerely,:eek:

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Hemingway Jones said:
Just don't wear that beautiful hat in your avatar. :)

Hemingway Jones, I promise I won't :)

Here is why:

The hat I am wearing in my avatar is definatly my favorite! This Dobbs Fifth Avenue was signed by Nancy Sinatra at her Mystic Theatre performance 11-6-2004. I was wearing this hat in the front row that night and Nancy called out from the stage "Hey, nice hat!" and she signed it after the show :cool:
Hat_Nancy_Sinatra.jpg

I have no idea what year it was made (I bought it in a thrift shop in 1979) or even the model... if anyone has more info I would love to hear it.

Bebop

Practically Family
I wear a hat in all weather. It's always great weather for a hat. I started wearing my Adventurebilt fedora in rainy weather. If it dies, it dies. I don't see any negative effects yet. I have not worn it today in San Francisco because of the high winds. I don't want to loose it. This afternoon, while downtown, I watched a guy chase his fedora across the street and almost get hit by a bus. He came nose to nose with a bus. Luck is the only thing that saved him.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Well, it's pouring here in the SF Bay Area today and I wore my pure beaver black fedora I got from Art. No problem, it held up beautifully and it has held up on all the other rainy days I've worn it in. But I'd be careful about any lid not made of pure beaver...KC

I wore my Dobbs Fifteen today from the 40s. It is still wet from the rain today. No problems though. The more I use it in the rain the better the hat it is for me. It confoms better and the block looks better. It has a three inch brim so it is perfect for this kind of weather but I would take out any hat in my collection. I don't have Wallflowers in the collection. They are there to be worn. Singing in the Rain, just singing in the rain...... :p

Regards to all,

J

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Yep...

I wear mine in the rain also - but I do carry an umbrella (here in Seattle it is mandatory!) to keep from getting completely soaked. Granted I wear a Statson Chatham (in sage green) and it has been soaked a time or two and is no worse for the experience after a little steam to reset the brim. But I don't use an umbrella just to preseve the hat, but my face and my overcoat too. I just happen to think umbrellas are for using. The key is not to lose your hat while carrying an umbrella and a briefcase. :whistling

Burger

New in Town
A few weeks ago I was caught in a downpour with my new 100X Beaver and Cashmere Stetson which is Silver Belly in color. It came through like a champ. The only thing I was worried about was spotting from roof droplets. Luckily those must have been clean roofs! Don't worry, hats are made to be worn in any kind of weather.

Burger:hamburger

Aerol

A-List Customer
Rain & Hats

I always figure that I own the hat, it doesn't own me. I take real good care of my stuff, but I use it all.

Besides, during the Depression guys couldn't afford to replace their hat every time it got wet or dirty. They used their hats; we should, too.

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
I wear a hat in all weather. It's always great weather for a hat. I started wearing my Adventurebilt fedora in rainy weather. If it dies, it dies. I don't see any negative effects yet. I have not worn it today in San Francisco because of the high winds. I don't want to loose it. This afternoon, while downtown, I watched a guy chase his fedora across the street and almost get hit by a bus. He came nose to nose with a bus. Luck is the only thing that saved him.

We should all pause for HAT SAFTEY, it's not worth risking your life to save a hat, the hat can be replaced, not you! Don't become a statistic. :fing28:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff