Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice intent, frustrating result...

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Both my sons returned yesterday from a 7000 mile drivethrough of the western US. And they thought of me by bringing me a birthday gift: a brand new Stetson (Sovereign) fedora hat. Size 7-1/2. My size is 7-1/8. Bummer!

So, after consulting them, and convincing them that there is no way to shrink it to my size (or would there be, after all, it's a modern hat :D ), I put it on a local bay type site, asking for "best offers". I guess the hat cost about $160 or so (bought in a Seattle shop with a forgotten name).

I'll be curious to see how this goes... 7-1/2 what were they thinking of, it doesn't fit them either! :eusa_doh:

Here's a few pictures, my son Haroun is wearing it for the sales advert.

003-4.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Kids (and people in gerneral) just don't see the importance of checking before they buy (especially when spending that kind of money). I see women and kids do it all the time at Home Depot on Father's Day. They have no concept of "fit" or size and they just don't think. It's a shame because it's a nice looking hat.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Since you're in Brussels, are you 7 1/8 American or English? because if the latter, shrinking it my bring it to a 7 3/8 American and a little felt tape under the sweatband to 7 1/4, which is... 7 1/8 English

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Tha's right, Terry, they don't think (if at least they'd have bought a hat which fitted THEM, for cryin' out loud!).

Well, Saint-Just (good Jean Gabin avatar there!), it's the US 7-1/8 and one of the first things I did was to slip some thickish wool felt strips, both fore as well as aft, under the leather sweatband. Not only did that "wrinkle" the sweatband because of the changed inner circumference, it remained possible to -easily- slip a finger between the inner rim of the hat and my forehead...no solution there, none whatever!

Blackthorn, please don't hold it against me if I say...wehl, guess we'll have to play house, then.

I could eat my hat!!! Or leave it in the rain, I'd have an change of color thrown in as extra "benefit"...

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, Fathers often "loom large" in a Son's eye ;). Not surprising really, consider it a sign of respect as opposed to thoughtlessness. Sorry to hear it didn't fit, a nice gesture just the same.

HatsEnough

Banned
This is just evidence of how far out of touch people are with hats. You see it in ebay auctions all the time, too...

People aren't even aware that hats have sizes!

People are so out of touch with the whole milieu of hats that they don't know that different people wear different sized hats. To them a hat is a hat is a hat. And with most ball caps being one size fits all with the plastic adjustment dealio in the back, that makes it even worse.

Gromulus

Practically Family
The thought that counts

A vey nice hat and a truly loving gesture by your sons. It may be hard to part with it just from the sentimental aspect.

EggHead

Practically Family
Well, Fathers often "loom large" in a Son's eye ;). Not surprising really, consider it a sign of respect as opposed to thoughtlessness. Sorry to hear it didn't fit, a nice gesture just the same.

Not when they are young. When my kid was 16 months and learning how to draw, he was drawing lines that depicted people he knew. Grandma got the longest line, I got the shortest!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family

I'll make peace with that thought, Trick...you're of course perfectly right, same as Gromulus... They were gone for five whole weeks, both our sons away in a fur'n land, far away. We missed them, and when I saw that 6 foot++ guy with a Seattle Mariners foam hand -they'd been to see a game- and wearing a hat...handsome...beckoning me to a parking spot, I was sooooh pleased he'd bought himself a hat...and that they'd made it safely back home. Peace! The house's already less orderly than it's been, of course, but ...ne'er mind such details...back home is what counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner