Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks boots - fit/sizing - How does the size compare with normal shoe size?

born113

One of the Regulars
Knowledgeable people share their experience of choosing the size of Nicks boots please.
I am not able to go to the store for measurements.
What sizes of Nicks correspond to what sizes of famous brands of shoes?
Personally, I am most interested in the ratio of sizes to New Balance/Arcteryx/Asolo/Boss.

Marc Lichtenfeld

New in Town
Been a lurker here for a bit. While I don't have Nick's, I have Red Wings, White's, and Wesco's and am very into custom and Goodyear welted boots (I have 8 pairs).

My Bannock size is 12.5. I wear size 13 in athletic shoes (New Balance, Merrill, Adidas, etc.) and wear 11.5 D in Red Wing, 11.5 E in White's (semi dress last), and 12 D in Wesco Packers. Basically, they are 0.5-1.0 sizes smaller than your Bannock. Hard to tell about width without trying.

If you want Nick's I suggest you call them and ultimately spend the extra bit of cash to get a guaranteed custom fit.

If you want White's or Wesco's I would call Baker shoes (I am a customer with great experiences, no compensation will come to me). I went through their fit process, which involved printing their custom form, tracing my foot, and having some measurements taken by my wife. The staff at Baker fit me based on that form and sent me a trial pair. I then out them on for 25 minutes and called them and talked about the fit.

I would do the same if I went directly through Nick's, White's, or Wesco. Especially for my first pair. Follow their fit guide, send measurements, and get a trial pair. These boots are too long lasting and too expensive to get the wrong size.

born113

One of the Regulars
Follow their fit guide, send measurements, and get a trial pair. These boots are too long lasting and too expensive to get the wrong size.
Thanks. I am located outside the United States. And in principle, I do not feel sorry for time and money. But not to that extent. With all the shipping, I'll spend over $1000 on a pair of boots. But for that kind of money, I can make shoes in any country.

In general, I will be glad of other examples as well.

Marc Lichtenfeld

New in Town
There are other good shoe makers. Some in SE Asia are a bit cheaper blwith similar quality. Hard to go wrong with many of them. You still need to figure out your size. That being said, enjoy the journey, and the butterflies when you put the boots on for the first time ascertaining the fit.

Psant25

One Too Many
I have had a bunch of whites and wesco. I think whites, nicks, franks all use the same sizing and same lasts. I am a 10D brannock and wear a 9.5D whites. I think the same would be true for nicks. I have almost got nicks a few times and would get a 9.5D. I would prefer a boot 1/2 size too big than 1/2 too small. I know many size down a full size from brannock and maybe even 1.5 down. Not for me. I need some room in my boots hate them tight. A half size in length is 1/6 of an inch. A little thicker sock or add a thin insole. If I were buying sight unseen without try on I would go 1/2 size down. Once you wear them and the foot bed settles your foot will “find” the center of the foot bed.

Schambach

Practically Family
I agree with @Psant25 , and would guess that the half size down from brannock, is the sweet spot for most PNW boots. It’s been the same for me for both wescos and whites, I bet Nicks is similar. At some point I need to give them a shot, the new moc toes look great.

Last edited:

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I understand that you probably won't be able to get a "try on" pair of boots from them. I live in the US, take a size 8 in virtually every boot or shoe I've ever owned. They sent me a try on pair in size 8 and they fit perfectly. The actual pair of boots they made for me was a size 8. Perfect fit. Hope you can work this out with Nicks because in my case, they are the best fitting, most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nicks Boots are lifetime boots. These are not something you approach such as buying a a pair of boots off a shelf in a store.
Perhaps it would help if you state your current shoe sizes and preferances.

Nick's and White's will look to size you for a "work fit" that is - a quite snug fit that allows the boot to do what it is designed to do - support your foot, arch, heel, ankle and lower leg while working in backcountry conditions. It should not really be compared to a tennis shoe for fit.

I wear 10.5 - 11.5 C & D in Nick's/White's and 11.5D - 12.0D in Red Wing Iron Rangers, and athletic shoes.
So generally down 0.5 to 1.0 size to Brannock device. You really need to know your width.

I would suggest since it's your first time to download, print and complete foot tracings and complete all measurements. For your situation, you can probable send them back to them on a PDF. The tracings and fit suggestions (withouth try on boots) should not cost extra.

Do note it's 2-4 months of waiting for a build on most products.

I would reccommend Watching these videos to get a better idea of what they consider a good fit.
https://nicksboots.com/company/sizing-guide/

Do I need a custom size boot?

I have owned 4 pair of Nick's and over 12 pairs of White's.
With Nick's I reccommend to go Direct to them, and simply email questions, etc

If you want to try White's go through Baker's, or direct, but I feel this is very sound advice that was presented earlier:
Been a lurker here for a bit. While I don't have Nick's, I have Red Wings, White's, and Wesco's and am very into custom and Goodyear welted boots (I have 8 pairs).

My Bannock size is 12.5. I wear size 13 in athletic shoes (New Balance, Merrill, Adidas, etc.) and wear 11.5 D in Red Wing, 11.5 E in White's (semi dress last), and 12 D in Wesco Packers. Basically, they are 0.5-1.0 sizes smaller than your Bannock. Hard to tell about width without trying.

If you want Nick's I suggest you call them and ultimately spend the extra bit of cash to get a guaranteed custom fit.

If you want White's or Wesco's I would call Baker shoes (I am a customer with great experiences, no compensation will come to me). I went through their fit process, which involved printing their custom form, tracing my foot, and having some measurements taken by my wife. The staff at Baker fit me based on that form and sent me a trial pair. I then out them on for 25 minutes and called them and talked about the fit.

I would do the same if I went directly through Nick's, White's, or Wesco. Especially for my first pair. Follow their fit guide, send measurements, and get a trial pair. These boots are too long lasting and too expensive to get the wrong size.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I just checked the website. I thought they used to offer a "measure at home" option, without the trial boot being sent out. I don't see that option anymore.

I recently did a fit at home WITH a trial boot. The trial boot they sent after submitting my measurements was spot-on. I'd ask if they'll let you submit measurements without the trial boot. I also learned a lot about boot fit, which I thought was valuable on its own. But I can see why you wouldn't want to do the at home trial if you live abroad. They also have a limited number of fit boots, so I think that increased the wait time, too.

To answer you original question, I wear a 9D in Redwing Iron Rangers and Moc Toes, and a 9D in the Alden Barrie last. I ordered a Falcon, and was fit with a 9E. I have them and was happy with the initial fit, but I haven't broken them in yet.

On a separate but related note, I have a newly acquired pair of Lofgren engineer boots in 9D. On the outside, they look to be exactly the same size as other well-fitting boots, but the toe box is a bit narrow with my go-to socks. I'm going to try them with thinner socks, but I also wonder if they'll stretch a bit. Does anyone else have experience with Lofgren engineers, and how they wear in? THANKS!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I just checked the website. I thought they used to offer a "measure at home" option, without the trial boot being sent out. I don't see that option anymore.

I recently did a fit at home WITH a trial boot. The trial boot they sent after submitting my measurements was spot-on. I'd ask if they'll let you submit measurements without the trial boot. I also learned a lot about boot fit, which I thought was valuable on its own. But I can see why you wouldn't want to do the at home trial if you live abroad. They also have a limited number of fit boots, so I think that increased the wait time, too.

To answer you original question, I wear a 9D in Redwing Iron Rangers and Moc Toes, and a 9D in the Alden Barrie last. I ordered a Falcon, and was fit with a 9E. I have them and was happy with the initial fit, but I haven't broken them in yet.

On a separate but related note, I have a newly acquired pair of Lofgren engineer boots in 9D. On the outside, they look to be exactly the same size as other well-fitting boots, but the toe box is a bit narrow with my go-to socks. I'm going to try them with thinner socks, but I also wonder if they'll stretch a bit. Does anyone else have experience with Lofgren engineers, and how they wear in? THANKS!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

My Lofgren Engineers, which I recently sold off, were 12D's. They were just a bit too wide for me, however Lofgren does not offer other widths. I purchased these off FL Classifieds and they were "tried on" new in box. Really nice boots, but made of softer leathers, so even with double socks, toward the end of the time I had them they had stretched enough that they were no longer a good fit for me. Shame as they were really comfortable, solid boots that looked & felt amazing on the feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot