Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nivea Creme

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it is listed as a body moisturizer, but many people use it on their face. I have tried it and didn't have any breakouts or problems. The best one to use is the German-made cream in the tins. It used to be available at drugstores for under $1, but is more difficult to find now - most of the tins are made in Mexico, unfortunately. I love using it on my hands.

I've never tried it as a cold cream or for makeup removal.

What is it about this moisturizer again? I can't find the original thread. Something about an ingredient that is the same as a modern trendy one at something like $80 an ounce?

Yes, it is purported to be the same, or very similar formulation, as Creme de la Mer. CDLM is quite secretive with their ingredients (they aren't available online), but are printed on the packaging. The creams are quite similar (mineral oil, paraffin liquidum, petrolatum), the main difference being CDLM uses sea kelp, and a few other ingredients further down the list that Nivea doesn't have - eucalyptus leaf oil, sesame seed oil, and a few others.

I own and use both and I can honestly say that they look, feel, and smell practically identical. I found that for a facial cream they work about the same - a very thick, almost "barrier" type cream for extremely dry skin. CDLM is $135 for a 1 oz jar.

tamjwhite

New in Town
Thank you for all that information fortworthgal, I am now even more excited to receive my order. Have you worn it under your makeup?

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Somebody mentioned Nivea creme manufactured in Poland? They still make it in Poznań, like in the old days:

kremnivealotnik7b032e55.jpg

kremnivealotnike76e70d8.jpg

kremnivealotnika17690a8.jpg

Found on internet auction. Pre-WW2 tin. "Airman" brand, those aviators had to protect their skin (for the ladies!) in these open-cockpit planes!

Hello, Rola! Finally, I am meeting someone from Poland! I hope you are having fun! And yes, Nivea was manufactered in Poland since 1930s , as witnessed by old ads I saw. If it was invented here - I do not know. Perhaps?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
To be true, I´m not sure why Nivea is still so popular. It´s full of paraffinum and I find it to be rather useless [huh]

Cosmetic grade mineral oil isn't a "bad" ingredient at all - that's a myth. It is considered to be a "good" moisturizing ingredient because it binds moisture in and prevents water loss to keep skin hydrated, and most people can tolerate it without reaction.

tamjwhite

New in Town
I don't know why people say mineral oil is bad, I never get bad reactions from it. My grandmother always used Nivea and her skin looked amazing. That's why I want to get a hold of some for myself. Also, I love the smell.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
As far as I know it´s still in discussion (at least in Europe, afaik every country/continent has its own guidelines for everything). But that´s not my point. Paraffinum is dead material. There´s nothing in it that could be of advantage. I´ve had dry skin for quite some time and cremes like Nivea didn´t improve it, it became worse and my skin felt icky after applying. I don´t know if that was because of the paraffinum or some other synthetic ingredient like the perfume or the preservatives. I also didn´t like the sticky feeling on my skin, caused by paraffinum that lays on top of the skin. I try to use organic cremes only, my skin feels better with them. No dryness, no burning feeling, no stickiness. Instead my skin gets some nutrients that it might not get otherwise. And I don´t pay more for it than I´d pay for Nivea.
(On a side note the extraction of mineral oil and the production of paraffinum is much worse for the environment than that of vegetable oils.)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I´m using this one, a drug store brand:
media_1-data.png

It´s for very dry skin and worked wonders for my facial skin.
When nessecary I also use body butter by the same brand, also for very dry skin.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
As far as I know it´s still in discussion (at least in Europe, afaik every country/continent has its own guidelines for everything). But that´s not my point. Paraffinum is dead material. There´s nothing in it that could be of advantage. I´ve had dry skin for quite some time and cremes like Nivea didn´t improve it, it became worse and my skin felt icky after applying. I don´t know if that was because of the paraffinum or some other synthetic ingredient like the perfume or the preservatives. I also didn´t like the sticky feeling on my skin, caused by paraffinum that lays on top of the skin. I try to use organic cremes only, my skin feels better with them. No dryness, no burning feeling, no stickiness. Instead my skin gets some nutrients that it might not get otherwise. And I don´t pay more for it than I´d pay for Nivea.
(On a side note the extraction of mineral oil and the production of paraffinum is much worse for the environment than that of vegetable oils.)

One thing I've discovered is that skincare is a very personal issue, and what works great for one person probably won't work well for someone else. Every person's skin is different. I've never had any luck with organic products, but cold cream works amazingly well for me. Find what works for you and stick with it!

Last edited:

tamjwhite

New in Town
I´m using this one, a drug store brand:
media_1-data.png

It´s for very dry skin and worked wonders for my facial skin.
When nessecary I also use body butter by the same brand, also for very dry skin.

I don't think they have that here in the states but I wish they did because I also have extremely dry skin.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
One thing I've discovered is that skincare is a very personal issue, and what works great for one person probably won't work well for someone else. Every person's skin is different. I've never had any luck with organic products, but cold cream works amazingly well for me. Find what works for you and stick with it!

I'll second this.
Just a word of warning. I put Nivea on my face this morning (a thick layer for about 5 minutes) & cleaned it off with a warm flannel. On the plus side my skin was nicely hydrated, on the minus side my face flushed like crazy for hours. I wouldn't recommend Nivea for any one with sensitive skin. Then again it will probably work well for others. I can use cold cream with no real reaction, so I'm wondering if the lanolin may have set my rosacea off?

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Wow! Where was the cream made? I've heard some people online complain about the Mexican or Polish made cream causing reactions, because I think the formulation is different, but unfortunately I can't find the German-made cream anywhere anymore.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wonder what caused the reaction... I hope your skin is better now!

On a side note I am very jealous - around here there is no German cream to be found!

tamjwhite

New in Town
Same here fortworthgal! I have to order it off of smallflower.com, now I am a little apprehensive to put it on my face though. Maybe I should do a patch test on my neck or something.

'Cilla

New in Town
I have extremely sensitive skin prone to petechiae and inflammation, and Nivea (all formulas, but particularly the German one) has been amazing for me. I have an emotional attachment!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran