Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No e-bay hats for big heads

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The hats are there, just look a bit harder.

In just the past two weeks, there have been at least a few in 7 1/2:

over $200
Optimo, ended 1/12
P1010002-vi.jpg

over $150
Two Stetson 3x, both ended 1/11
IMG_0074-2-1.jpg

f24b_1.JPG

around $50
Knox 20 Bowler, ended 1/18
6eb1_12.JPG

around $25
Lee, 7 1/2, ended 1/18
b9c1_1.JPG

ABrew

New in Town
I wish I could find hats on ebay in my size, or anywhere for that matter. Most arent even made in a 7 7/8. I need a head reduction

rtravler

New in Town
fat head

I agree 7-1/2 does equal small. Don't know why I am so blessed- never been called head. O.J. was called head when he was a kid (before he was called OJ and # (whatever), I have a friend that was called head but at 7-7/8 you guys are lucky. Thank you, I need a couple more posts before I can post pics of some things to trade in search of the rare vintage quality hat for the fat headed.

rtravler

New in Town
And,

And, before the internet, I would buy a hat if it fit. That was my only criteria. Boy, were they junk. I can go 7-3/4 if I go hairless but, at my age, all the hair I have is my best feature. Have women come up to me and say-God, you've got great hair. Think I'll keep it.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
One of the truths that goes along with the Internet comes through in this discussion ... you can buy anything if you have enough money.

It seems that, often, the "vintage" hats on Ebay are overpriced for their condition, and you certainly have to be extremely careful, because there are obviously sellers who disguise flaws, over charge for shipping, misrepresent hats, and so forth.

Sure, you can get the larger sizes, if you are patient and don't mind dropping a bundle.

It is probably a microcosm of the free market system. You can get what someone is willing to pay

Those of us who used ebay in the early days of World War II reenacting saw the same thing happen to that market

The good side ... there are probably more "vintage" hats on the market today than anytime since they were cheap to pick up in second hand stores back in the 60s ... when they weren't so "vintage."

The bad side ... they have never been more expensive.

Two sides of the Internet coin.

Welcome to the 21st Century[huh]

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
For us bigger hat guys (I'm a 7 3/8 to 7 1/2), you can at least see a few at the Steve Harvey auction. Whoops, just about broke a rule without meaning to. Go to the Steve Harvey Foundation, and look for the hat sale page. Some fairly nice stuff. It's all new though, no vintage hats.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I bought only four of these hats new. The rest are vintage from e-bay. All are either 7 5/8 LO or 7 3/4. So they're out there, but you have to look almost every day. And when it comes to price...there is definitely a big-head premium.

sundaysdragon005.jpg

AF

Ed13

Familiar Face
While I am only a 7 3/8 LO, I will purchase larger hats and have them reblocked. In the last 1 1/2 years I have found 3 light weight Borsalinos (grey, black and brown) all size 7 1/2 and larger. All were purchased for less than $40 each. The grey is currently being done. The others are put away as back up hats in case something ever happens to any in my current rotation.

They are out there, the trick is to figure out how to find the ones that everyone else misses.

frussell

One Too Many
Big Head Woes

I would agree that anything over a straight 7 3/4 is hard to find. I'm a 7 3/4 long oval to an occasional 7 7/8, depending on the brand. I just got two hats from eBay, a stingy Portis and what looks to be a slightly older Stetson Temple, and both are tight. I'm letting the Portis go, but I think I'll try and stretch the Temple out. The felt is super soft, but it's got some stains and such that would prohibit me selling it to a fellow Lounger. So far, anything older than a few years I've bought in that size has had some shrinkage, and will no longer stretch to fit me. Thank goodness for Art Fawcett and Akubra, where I can still get a roomy, well-made hat. Frank

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
I bought only four of these hats new. The rest are vintage from e-bay. All are either 7 5/8 LO or 7 3/4. So they're out there, but you have to look almost every day. And when it comes to price...there is definitely a big-head premium.

sundaysdragon005.jpg

AF

Wow!

Kind of heavy on Open Roads aren't you.

If it would help, I can give you and address to get some of them off your bed!

Seriously, there are some beauts there!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Sam Craig said:
Wow!

Kind of heavy on Open Roads aren't you.

If it would help, I can give you and address to get some of them off your bed!

Seriously, there are some beauts there!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, but there's a few OR clones there, too. Resistols, Camp Drafts...even a Mallory is in the mix.

AF

Sam Craig

One Too Many
So, at the risk of being ... you know ...:eek:fftopic:

What sort of a hat do you think Atticus would really have worn

I don't remember there being any reference in the book and the one in the movie was fairly lame, as I recall, but then the movie dressed Atticus so simply to show his strength of character.

What do you think?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I stand corrected

It's a better looking hat than I remembered

I still hold to the over all effect of his design in the film ... a man of character and grace

I guess I always thought he deserved a nicer hat ... on the other hand, much of the movie does take place in the summer months, when the ladies turned into

Here's the exact quote

Men's stiff colars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.

donnc

One of the Regulars
A pox on EBay

It's kind of funny to think of all the ladies and gentlemen here, clearly inspired by the taste and style of generations long past ... sitting by their computers checking Ebay every day for some hat deal.

There are hats of all kinds and sizes, newly made and ready for someone to buy them, if you need a hat. The more we buy, the more there will be for everyone, since it's a positive economic phenomenon, unlike vintage collectorism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy