Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Mail on Saturdays

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
So the USPS is proposing to stop Saturday mail delivery.

"A new five-day delivery schedule could save the cash-strapped Post Office $3 billion annually, the agency said. "

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/29/news...mail/index.htm

Discuss.

I personally would like to opt out of getting mail all together. All my bills are done electronically. The USPS is nothing more then UPS, or FedEx to me. I only receive packages from them (and the junk mail).

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
USPS

The USPS should do the following:

Eliminate mail delivery on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun.

(That is only deliver on Monday-Wed-Friday)

Eliminate 75% of the post offices!

Use Safeway, Luckys, or UPS Mail Box Ect. type of places.

Give their employees a 4 day work week.

Isn't most of our modern communications via FACEBOOK, EMAIL, YAHOO, GMAIL, ETC?

The "WRITTEN WORD" is DEAD!

It's the nature of the beast!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Andykev said:

!

But this would put 75% of the workers outta work....would make our economy even worse.
I still use snail mail on occasion, and that reminds me I have a card I need to mail out.

Bit of a problem: some of us live in areas that UPS and FedEx won't deliver to... and I'd rather not ask relatives to act as "Mail Drops" for incoming packages any more than I really have to, as I hate owing people favors--they usually pick the absolute worst possible times and situations to collect.

Then again, some of my P.O.'s clerks and I have a running joke about "you oughtta work with us, you're darn sure disgruntled enough to!"lol

LordBest

Practically Family
Saturday deliveries ended in Australia decades ago, I am sure it will not be too inconvenient.

Different situation here in many ways, while we have private couriers they are much, much more expensive than Australia Post, and barely more efficient. In my experience, at least.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For a lot of us in small towns the post office is still a very very important part of community life. I'll be very irritated if they cut Saturdays.

As for using the mail, I don't use any of that electronic bill-paying stuff because I never know from month to month if I'm going to have enough money in the bank to pay the bills on the same date. Mailing checks makes bill-juggling a lot easier.

As far as alternative delivery services go, imagine a world without the post office, and consider just how long it would take UPS and Fed Ex to get as fat and arrogant as the USPS is accused as being. Some might suggest they're already well on the way.

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
it would actually make more sense if they closed mondays instead. for me at least, i have trouble getting to my local post office during the week because of work. saturday is about the only day i can ever plan on being able to get there. I dont think i am the only person who closing the USPS on saturday wold negatively effect.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ditto

That would mean either I get deliveries at work, which is not the end of the world, or things go via UPS. About half the time I get things from UPS they get sent back because of snafus with signatures.
I think the real result of this will be that the Post Office will lose half the existing business they still have. Bad business decision, if you ask me. Eliminate the Monday deliveries, if they really have to cut back.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
As for using the mail, I don't use any of that electronic bill-paying stuff because I never know from month to month if I'm going to have enough money in the bank to pay the bills on the same date. Mailing checks makes bill-juggling a lot easier.

I hear ya on that one.
Weekend service ending is going to be an issue. I use mail for a lot of things and Saturday mail is as important as weekday mail. I cant *afford* to use FexEx or UPS for a lot of things.

If this occurs, I do hope they extrend weekday hours for people who work who rely on weekend service to get things done.

LD

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Andykev said:

Eliminate mail delivery on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun.

Use Safeway, Luckys, or UPS Mail Box Ect. type of places.

Give their employees a 4 day work week.

Isn't most of our modern communications via FACEBOOK, EMAIL, YAHOO, GMAIL, ETC?

The "WRITTEN WORD" is DEAD!

It's the nature of the beast!

well, in a way I agree with you. only I have to add a twist to it.

the USPS needs to stop ALL mail and convert to a package service like FedEx, UPS, ect. People can still "mail" things like greeting cards ect via UPS.

Diamondback said:
Bit of a problem: some of us live in areas that UPS and FedEx won't deliver to... and I'd rather not ask relatives to act as "Mail Drops" for incoming packages any more than I really have to, as I hate owing people favors--they usually pick the absolute worst possible times and situations to collect.

Then again, some of my P.O.'s clerks and I have a running joke about "you oughtta work with us, you're darn sure disgruntled enough to!"lol

Where do you live? Mars. :) FedEx not only delivers all over the earth, they have even delivered to the moon once :D

My mother lives out int he middle of NOWHERE and Fed Ex comes to her house.

Besides I am not saying USPS should vanish, they can just turn into a FedEx type service still delivering to all postal areas they do now. Think of the money saved when a USPS does not have to go to a location everyday, only when a package is going there.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't worry about it. It hasn't worried me in the slightest since moving to Oz a year and a half ago.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Honda, try "really bad part of town".

LOL, I grew up in Orlando Fl in an area the cops would not even go into. I remember once there was a body found and the cops were called, but never showed up. To this day I still have no idea what happened to the body.

Mail still run everyday though.

(maybe the body was packed up and mailed away LOL)

Yeah, my usual range-buddies and their cruisers have been stars on COPS before...:rolleyes: :eek: lol

Mail still gets through here, too... but I wouldn't trust my neighbors to leave it on the porch or inside the fence, which is why I have a PO Box--and certain things, like cases of ammunition, can't be shipped by U.S. Mail.

Foofoogal

Banned

Lizzie. I think you should definitely be able to do this but I really believe in not too far off future it will be almost mandatory to pay online.
Some companies charge to not use online now and recently our daughter even told us she has to go online to make an appointment at the doctor.:eek:
I have told my sister for years the internet is like the airplane. It ain't going away.
--------------
I will actually be glad if the post office closes on Sat. It is now open a few hours and it seems everyone goes then.
I am sorry for the workers though. It used to be one of the most stable jobs and now many cannot even get full-time and I have noticed it is being done much more complicated with paperwork.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't believe owning a computer should be required in order to maintain a functional life in society. In fact, I believe that sort of talk is a little near sighted.

Consider how many elderly, impoverished, disabled and unlucky people there are in society who either don't have access to this technology, or who are limited in their technological application. Personally, I would discontinue my obligations with any company that required I use an online paying system.

As far as the USPS, I have my personal gripes, and I would be okay with dropping a day, but Saturday is a bad idea. As others have articulated, I know many people in my community, myself included, who need Saturday to access the physical office.

I prefer USPS over other carriers and I prefer mailing checks in envelopes with stamps. [huh]

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Honda Enoch said:
So the USPS is proposing to stop Saturday mail delivery.

"A new five-day delivery schedule could save the cash-strapped Post Office $3 billion annually, the agency said. "

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/29/news...mail/index.htm

Discuss.

I personally would like to opt out of getting mail all together. All my bills are done electronically. The USPS is nothing more then UPS, or FedEx to me. I only receive packages from them (and the junk mail).

I had no idea the US had Saturday mail delivery. I knew the UK did/does. I'm 42 and I have no memory of Saturday delivery in Canada. Post Offices may be open then, only because many postal counters are effectively privatized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails