Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Leather Sweatband: Size Implications?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I may be acquiring a second fedora, one that is a) rollable and b) as close to being a "summer" hat as practical. Since I love my (modern) Alessandria so much I'm considering one of the unlined hats that Borsalino makes with either cloth or grosgrain sweatbands.

Here's one thing I'm wondering. My Alessandria fits me like a glove, it is size 7-3/4" but it does ride quite low on my head. I prefer a hat that sits down a bit and with its deep crown that works fine. But on a somewhat shallower hat I'm concerned that anything even slightly looser than my hat will bottom out on my head instead of fitting correctly.

Would a grosgrain (i.e. ribbon) sweatband actually make a 7-3/4" fit looser than the heavy leather sweat in my current hat? I'm tempted to size down to 7-5/8" just to assure the hat sits, if anything, a touch higher than the Alessandria. As part of wanting a cooler "summer" experience I'm thinking a bit more exposed forehead would be a good thing.

Now that I've explained it I've pretty much talked myself into it. I just don't want to mess with success. The sizing and overall shape and fit of that Alessandria has been a dream come true compared to a couple earlier fedoras I've tried. I seem to have the perfect head for that hat.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I've never had an Alessandria, so I cannot speak to that particular hat, but it seems that hats with fabric sweatbands fit looser on me than those in the same size with leather sweats.

That could be because leather shrinks and fabric doesn't, or maybe the kind of hats that generally have fabric sweats are more flexible and lighter weight--like straw--and just seem looser. Further, even when of the exact same style, a hat made out of a completely different material cannot be expected to fit precisely the same.

I'd try your usual size and a size smaller before making a final decision.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Just spoke to one of the guys at Bencraft Hats and he thought for the particular hat in question (with a grosgrain sweat band) going down one size to 7-5/8 is the safest bet. Of course they'll exchange it no problem if I need my usual 7-3/4 instead.

I mentioned to him that my 7-3/4" Alessandria fits "comfortably loose" and he said a cloth sweat band hat will usually be even looser. We'll find out when it arrives at the end of the week!

Over the weekend I tried to convince myself to go with a cap (newsboy or ivy style) instead of a hat but it's just not a look I really care for. The ivy caps are too much like a ballcap and the newboy style just seems odd on my head.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brent Hutto said:
Would a grosgrain (i.e. ribbon) sweatband actually make a 7-3/4" fit looser than the heavy leather sweat in my current hat? I'm tempted to size down to 7-5/8" just to assure the hat sits, if anything, a touch higher than the Alessandria. As part of wanting a cooler "summer" experience I'm thinking a bit more exposed forehead would be a good thing.

Now that I've explained it I've pretty much talked myself into it. I just don't want to mess with success. The sizing and overall shape and fit of that Alessandria has been a dream come true compared to a couple earlier fedoras I've tried. I seem to have the perfect head for that hat.
My Borsalino Alessandria also fits me like a glove. The answer about a ribbon sweatband affecting the size is "yes."

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I just hope when my new Astuccio arrives I'll be able to bring myself to actually roll it up. If it's half as nice and anything like as comfortable as my Alessandria it would be a pity to permanently crimp its style, so to speak.

I chose the "Steel Gray" color which is a scary, massive change of pace from the "Taupe" of my current hat...and that big old ribbon! :rolleyes:

BTW, what size Alessandria do you wear Dan?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brent Hutto said:
I just hope when my new Astuccio arrives I'll be able to bring myself to actually roll it up. If it's half as nice and anything like as comfortable as my Alessandria it would be a pity to permanently crimp its style, so to speak.

I chose the "Steel Gray" color which is a scary, massive change of pace from the "Taupe" of my current hat...and that big old ribbon! :rolleyes:

BTW, what size Alessandria do you wear Dan?
About the roll up, my instinct is to take them at their word. If the hat gets messed up it would be a big customer problem, so I'd try it. Myself, I wear a 7 1/8 Alessandria. It seems one of the rare instances where Borsalino sizing fit me exactly. I have a Borsalino WB Traveler from Hats.com at 7 1/8 that is loose, having a ribbon sweatband; a Borsalino beaver fedora at 7 1/8 with leather sweatband that is way too tight, but another one (bought for Dad) at 7 1/4 that is just right; a Borsalino expensive Panama fedora hat at 7 1/8 that is way too loose--but there again the ribbon sweatband. So either Borsalino sizing is all over the place, or it is greatly affected by ribbon versus leather sweatband. Also, I have an Ecuador Panama hat whose original leather sweatband made it too tight, but a ribbon one mitigates that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff