Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norfolk Jacket

bookster1uk

Vendor
Doran said:
Any chance we could see this fabric? See, there are times when I could pull it off. Sometimes I shave my head completely bald. On those occasions, I feel more confident about things like octagon glasses and large patterns.
http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH PAGE/CLOTH GALLERY/index.htm
the first one, its called Lomond, I think there are some pics on here with MK wearing a trial suit in the same cloth.It is subtle, but not next to city suits.
So thats the tip, shave my head, being blonde limits the colours I can wear too!:D
We've done lots of Norfolks in Lomond,and our shooting jackets.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Adolphe Menjou:

adolphe_menjou-carole_landis.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I agree. But I have a few more traditionally cut 'Marks and Sparks' half Norfolks from this era (at least one of them bought from Bookster) in a variety of unattributed tweeds and they are OK.

As an aside, I was walking my dog the other day wearing my habitual Winter Norfolk suit in Donegal tweed by Bladen and a bunch of teenagers on their way to school made comments (quite complimentary, I think) on my 'Sherlock Homes outfit'. I haven't seen it, but I take it that such a look features in the recent popular 'movie'?

bookster1uk said:
The most common 70's Norfolk styles were by Marks and Spencers, quite a few of those had the yoke I referred to.Not my cup of tea, we sell the odd one or two, very 70's indeed.

pipvh

Practically Family
I got sniped on a Hardy Amies Harris Tweed the other day, which was basically a British Army officer's tunic in Harris...

It never occurred to me that anyone else would be interested... damn those snipers.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, the photograph on Page 40 shows actual Norfolk-style jackets with the same style of pockets as the civilian types of the same period (although the collar would be different). Another example of the 'cross-over' between military and sporting fashion.

Belstaff used to do a Norfolk jacket in green Carrington cloth called the Moorlander. Have you looked for one? I found one two years ago still in its bag. I also have the breeches to go with it. Best field outfit I know - well worth keeping a look-out for one IMO.

Creeping Past said:
I was looking at British army field jackets yesterday.

I've re-started looking for a fieldable 3-season Norfolk jacket in plain cloth rather than tweed or corduroy.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, I've been — and am still going — right through the card in respect of Norfolk and field jackets, looking for interesting items including Belstaff and other makers.

Incidentally, were the stand-up collar and pocket arrangement on Belstaff and other motorcycle jackets directly modeled on British army tunics of the early 20th century?

Edit: I mean the general style of the thing, not the specifics of angled pockets, fabric, construction, etc.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Norfolk Jacket?

Chaps, I've had a hankering for a while for Norfolk style jacket. Occasionally I hear the term half Norfolk used too. I have just purchased this little beauty which I think would come into the category of the 'Norfolk style jacket'. It has the external pockets, action back for ease of movement, solid Crombie tweed construction but no belt. I don't think its quite a Hacking jacket so could it be regarded as a 1/4 Norfolk? :D

See-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180876173021#ht_500wt_949

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would say 'hacking jacket with action back'.
I would associate a 'half Norfolk' with button-up patch pockets and a half-belt.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it would be nice to see some more pictures here. I found the nice chaps from fine and dandy scanned quite a few cataloges. Most of them are 1920s and before...the Norfolk Jacket style was really popular back then...even for boys. It's also nice to see the development from full to half norfolk and beltback sportsjackets.

Charles Williams Stores Fall/Winter 1915-16
img1341rf.jpg

Spring/Summer 1920 Men's Togs Catalog
togs7.jpg

M. Müller & Sohn Spring/Summer 1925
54978610150647693051476.jpg

Bella Hess Spring Summer 1925
bellahessss19255.jpg

and M. Müller & Sohn Spring/Summer 1926
mmullersohn1925n.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My understanding of what a Norfolk is, involves panles of fabric down the front, that cover the belt loops of a fabric belt around the waist, along with all the vents in the back to make the arms stretch comfortably.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Related stuff from germay, Der Schneidermeister 1930/31. Not all of them are "true" Norfolk Jackets. You can see the influence on sportjackets with belts and halfbelts...

tumblr_m3t4efLsob1rtpes1o1_500.jpg

1931smnr17001.jpg

tumblr_m2u6hh5Mlf1rtpes1o1_500.jpg

1930smnr14018.jpg
1931smnr19015.jpg

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
To my surprise today I discovered the original price tag in the front breast pocket, tag dated 2002 at £375. Imagine my surprise as I won the auction for £10.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there are too many pleated, action back variations about for them to all be 'Norfolks' (a U.S. seller once contacted me saying "i have a Norfolk jacket you might be interested in"... i said i wasn't really into Norfolks. a few months later i saw the jacket in question on his site and it had sold really cheaply. it wasn't a 'Norfolk' at all; it was a belt-back 30s stunner !)

for me, a Norfolk has to have the vertical straps in the front and preferably back, but it must have the front straps. sometime the straps go up to the shoulder seam, sometimes they are sewn under a chest or shoulder yoke. sometimes the straps disappear into the top of the front pockets:

1928catalogue.jpg

norfolkbeltback2vz1.jpg

notice on the one above they have matched the box pleats on the pockets to the straps. there are many permutations but it must have those straps !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112