Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norfolk Jacket

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Am I the only one to whom there seems something disturbingly 1970s about this jacket? Or am I imagining things?

No you are not because the 70s was as the era of the dodgy take on the 1930s n'est-ce pas?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Yes, Lawrance make absolutely excellent gear

Perhaps an advance party could make representations to Lawrance to get them to make a proper cord Norfolk to accompany their mounted breeches. Just for re-enactment purposes, you understand.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Necroquoting-

...and for context-

for the others-
I have a pair of WW1 era repro riding breeches from Lawrance,
in a fantastic Bedford Cord- it was thought that a Norfolk jacket,
or suit in that same cloth would be near the ultimate.
In an Edwardian style, most likely. Perhaps end-Victorian.

Like a good heart, "good" wool Bedford Cord is hard to find.

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Something like this, from Tanaka's Harley-Davidson book ?
img218.jpg

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Something.
But maybe more in the classic style, ...

B
T

Yeah, this 1920's gear is too fresh.;)

Hello again Mr. Past,

Cool! I agree. Rayadillo. You did mention these before.
That hickory cloth is nice, but I understand if you'll want it in Bedford cord.
I'll have the cloth covered shank buttons and fancy cuffs please.

A homespun engineered Norfolk utility jacket, it is the Ne Plus Ultra isn't it?
As you say, like something straight out of the next Nigel Cabourn x Post'o'alls x Mr.Freedom catalog. We'll see.

Very nice, thanks.
M.M.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think sporting Tweeds with half belts, pleats and capacious pockets
are covered by the Norfolk umbrella, at least for our interests,
perhaps not for ultra-purists.
We do seem to have terms such as ½ Norfolk, etc.

I believe what I need is a Norfolk.

B
T

bookster1uk

Vendor
Doran said:
Am I the only one to whom there seems something disturbingly 1970s about this jacket? Or am I imagining things?
An ironic observation, as we sell quite a few 70's Norfolk 'style' jackets through our vintage emporium, many have the 'western' style scalloped yoke to front and or back.
Ours is designed primarily for utility use, it has the concealed breast pockets, it comes with a belt, which is handy in cold windy conditions as you can pull it tight to keep out any updraught, though we can make with a button option instead.
The belt buckle is real leather (covered), its just new looking in the pic.
We also have customers that order them for re enactment, vintage golf and motoring, theatre/opera companies, film companies etc,
I love vintage Norfolks with multiple front pleats and other features, they are very rare, the best of them that survive are usually US origin.
We offer over 100 cloths,and counting ( including plenty of plains, including gorgeous Harris), so bold checks aren't compulsory, but they are great for the aforementioned uses. I should also add that some of our customers that go for big checks, have the personality and quite often the size, to carry them off perfectly, they aren't clowns, just great people with a zest for clothing to please themselves,damn what anybody else thinks.
We like to think we got our design right, style and function, its popularity seems to bear that out, and you are unlikely to bump into somebody else wearing an identical one, unlike mass produced Norfolk style derivatives.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Bookster, thanks for that. I appreciate you're appealing to those with an archetypal idea of a 'country' garment. For my part, I'm comparing this with the historical type of jacket.

There's a pretty good Hepworths/Hardy Amies — a made to measure/order item? I remember Hepworths offered service in the 1970s — Norfolk on Ebay at the moment. It's 4-button, high gorge, with a button belt. I mention this because I reckon it to be a 70s Norfolk, but it's quite repro-trad, if that makes sense.

There's many forks taken on the clothing road. I guess we're retracing the steps and hoping for a new iteration of an old type.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, Bookster, that is very fair, and I also thank you for posting that. I would feel like a doofus in such bold patterns, but some folks could make it work. I'm sure the jacket looks very nice in a more subdued herringbone or cheviot.

bookster1uk

Vendor
Doran said:
Yes, Bookster, that is very fair, and I also thank you for posting that. I would feel like a doofus in such bold patterns, but some folks could make it work. I'm sure the jacket looks very nice in a more subdued herringbone or cheviot.

I have the same problem, some of our cloths I like the most simply would not work for me, or so I thought. I attended a function at the European Parliament as chair of a charity I'm involved with, I wore what I thought was a fairly subtle but largish check bookster tweed suit, the effect was quite astonishing, I was mixing with men largely in grey and dark blue suits, I stood out like a beacon, I was approached by all kinds of people, men and women, to comment on the outfit, I found it a little embarrassing ( clown?), and struggled to be as big as the outfit, The upside was that by the time I came back, I had 3 orders as a bonus to my original purpose of the visit.I suspect that next time i'll choose a subtler version and forgoe the extra sales.:eek:

bookster1uk

Vendor
Creeping Past said:
Bookster, thanks for that. I appreciate you're appealing to those with an archetypal idea of a 'country' garment. For my part, I'm comparing this with the historical type of jacket.

There's a pretty good Hepworths/Hardy Amies — a made to measure/order item? I remember Hepworths offered service in the 1970s — Norfolk on Ebay at the moment. It's 4-button, high gorge, with a button belt. I mention this because I reckon it to be a 70s Norfolk, but it's quite repro-trad, if that makes sense.

There's many forks taken on the clothing road. I guess we're retracing the steps and hoping for a new iteration of an old type.
Hepworths and early Montague Burton...outstanding, approaching bespoke quality in some cases, Burton produced some amazing models. The most common 70's Norfolk styles were by Marks and Spencers, quite a few of those had the yoke I referred to.Not my cup of tea, we sell the odd one or two, very 70's indeed.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bookster1uk said:
I have the same problem, some of our cloths I like the most simply would not work for me, or so I thought. I attended a function at the European Parliament as chair of a charity I'm involved with, I wore what I thought was a fairly subtle but largish check bookster tweed suit, the effect was quite astonishing, I was mixing with men largely in grey and dark blue suits, I stood out like a beacon, I was approached by all kinds of people, men and women, to comment on the outfit, I found it a little embarrassing ( clown?), and struggled to be as big as the outfit, The upside was that by the time I came back, I had 3 orders as a bonus to my original purpose of the visit.I suspect that next time i'll choose a subtler version and forgoe the extra sales.:eek:

Any chance we could see this fabric? See, there are times when I could pull it off. Sometimes I shave my head completely bald. On those occasions, I feel more confident about things like octagon glasses and large patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112