Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nostalgia, the pain of an old wound.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I was re-watching Mad Men season one, and Don Draper's character gives an oration about nostalgia being Greek for "the pain of an old wound... a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone." That stuck with me for a moment and I looked up the word (*in an encyclopedia, not wikipedia*)

Now, I love that word, and when I found its true meaning I thought... what a wonderful way to describe what we do here, in this lounge, in our lives. We feel that pain or longing more acutely than others I suppose, and instead of just ignoring it; we strive to sooth it by embracing the past... and that brought me to my next thought.

One of my World History Instructors at the Academy always said "Embrace the past, and learn from it."

I thought some of you would like to share with all of the Nostalgists here in sharing your further elucidations on Nostalgia, perhaps you're more potent memories of those bygone years that we cannot live again, but can remember... for some of us, only in our dreams.

I have said enough for now, and I bid you a happy night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails