Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not at all important to you ... I found a new book store!

dashiell

One of the Regulars
:D

Dash here, reporting from the best book shop in Van Nuys. Today I found a hardcover collection of Eleanor Roosevelt's newspaper columns from 1936 through 1945. Other finds included a book on the society of Renaissance Florence, a copy of Snow Crash (I lent mine to someone who never returned it), and a healthy bit of Stephen Hawking. The grand total disbursed for these items was ... wait for it ... $3.48!

I've had quite a good afternoon out. Now to prepare for the weekend work barreling headlong in my general direction. After supper.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Books, books, wonderful books

:eusa_clap
New reasons to love FL just keep coming! Hanging out with you guys is like being at some kind of continuous gala or soiree.

Most of my favorite used book stores here in Philadelphia have disappeared. There were so many with that indescribable aroma, that peaceful rustling of books leaving the shelves and pages turning, that wonderful experience of requesting a book and having the clerk know what you were talking about (and usually generously filling in the gaps of your knowledge at the same time), and that awesome feeling of walking out with a king's ransom of treasures for a pauper's pay. When the one located in an alley just west of Broad Street (sorry, cannot quite remember the name) closed, I heard the death knell of the independent used book seller.
*sigh*

However, your post inspired me to check into it. Those that are listed online are not on my normal transiting routes, but they can be! Hey, maybe I'll discover new favorites among them. At the very least, there will be all those books, books, wonderful books :D

BTW: In addition to "too many books, too little time", at the FL, there are "too many threads, too little time.";)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dash, You may have found a used book store aligned with Harry Dresden. The finds are great and the prices...wizardly!

Leading Edge, PM me if you ever have a bit of time in Dallas. There are some excellent UBS here.

I dropped a fair bit of change the evening before last for 3 Fitzgerald titles, a copy of Fitzgerald in Hollywood, a copy of Letters of Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, a biography of Fitzgerald, another biography of Hemingway, a copy of The Hemingway Book Club, Kosovo, a copy of The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats, and a couple of other titles. There was a rather expensive slip-cased volume of Haiku that I think I'll go back for. Hope it's still there.

I need to have a book sale myself. :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
It's not random, and it is related--I try to keep a list of good bookstores to look up while traveling, and I refuse to believe I'm the only one who does.

You're holding out on us, sir--GIVE...lol

I wouldn't say I necessarily keep a list, but I'm definitely on the lookout for bookstores when on my travels; ESPECIALLY independent bookstores. I think its great to support them over the monopolies, and you can find such great treasures in them sometimes.

Feraud

Bartender
I had the pleasure of visiting Brattle Book Shop in Boston.
DSC01337.jpg

The bookstore is worth the trip if you are in the area.

Do not forget thrift stores for great book finds.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Strand

The place I always get in trouble in is The Strand. The main branch is on 12th St and Broadway, but I hang out on the downtown Annex, on Fulton St near the South St Seaport. Talk about a kid in a candy store! I seldom escape without 3 or 4 new acqusiitions. They have lots of new titles, but you can also find second hand treasures of every sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart