Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found a vintage Borsalino in a thrift store, I'd like to know more about it!

somethingsfishy

New in Town
First off, hi everyone! I'm somethingsfishy, I have an account on Styleforum by the same name. I've seen your board around. and consulted it on occasion for info on vintage clothing, but when I found this hat, I figured it was time to create an account and ask about it.

Saw this guy in a thrift store for 3.50, realized it was something quite special when I saw it, as it looked far higher quality than most hats I'd seen. Looks like I was right! :D

In the interest of full disclosure, the hat is a little too small for me (and I don't wear hats that often) so it's probably going to end up on your classifieds page. Before I do that, however, I want to get some information on the hat, so I don't say something false about it out of ignorance. All I've gathered thusfar is that the sizing on the hat is french sizing, and that it's equivalent to a US size 7 & 1/8.

I seem to be having issues attaching images, so here's a link to a gallery of photos:

http://imgur.com/a/nkUIJ

Here are some of the things I'd love to know:

What exactly is this style called?

Does anyone know anything about this model and its history?

Any idea on a manufacture date?

To my untrained eye, the hat appears to be in excellent shape, but I'd like to know what experts think. What are condition issues to look for with hats such as these?

From what I've read, Borsalino uses rabbit fur felt to make the majority of their hats. From what I can tell, this is certainly made of felt, but how can I determine what the felt is derived from?

Any other information you can provide me would be very helpful also.

Thanks!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's a traditional tyrolean or 'alpen-hut'. You'll find cousins to this hat all over the Alps.

Rabbit would be my gues, but I can't be sure. Neither can I tell you the age, but there are some quite sharp Borasa-guys around. They can probably help you on that :)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
217Gb9Fh.jpg

Even thou this is a Broso. Due to the style it is worth not much more than 3 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner