Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not So Happy Christmas...

fatwoul

Practically Family
Hello everyone. I've been elsewhere, but I hope you are all well, and that you are all expecting a splendid Christmas.

Mine will be marred by a little frustration. A hat I ordered 16 months ago still has not materialised, and the hatter in question is still unreliable in responding to my emails, having already admitted to losing my order!

I won't name names, but unless something has happened since I was last around, you might be surprised to learn who it is who is causing me so much trouble.

:rage:

Anyway, I can't complain, as I don't have any diseases or anything. Must learn to maintain perspective. :eek:

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks guys. Nice to see some old faces still around, and good to see that some new ones have shown up too. Nice to meet you, MrHughes.

IC - yeah, you probably have guessed which one. I'm both surprised and disappointed, considering his reputation.

I might be around here a little more again for a while. At least during my vacation. lol

MrHughes

New in Town
fatwoul said:
Nice to meet you, MrHughes.

IC - yeah, you probably have guessed which one. I'm both surprised and disappointed, considering his reputation.

It's good to meet you as well - I see you have some history around here. This forum seems much more mannerly compared to others; very refreshing in this day and age.
I don’t know what the policy is toward naming names, but sometimes it can be helpful to others in the market. Of course a caveat should always be included that “your mileage may vary”. ;)

fatwoul

Practically Family
Of course, MH, I agree that, should this situation turn worse, I will be happy to make sure that my feelings are known. However, right now my dealings with this hatter are still in progress, so it seems a little premature for me to rant publicly about a transaction that is yet to end.

In part, this is because this person has a good reputation that I have no business to tarnish until they have had chance to fix things.

However, my considerations are predominantly selfish: If I badmouth this guy before I get my hat, he might put fleas in it. lol

Rest assured the problem is only a matter of waiting time, and not a matter of hat quality.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Fat

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I had a similar experience several years ago. My hat cost well over $1,200 I was happy to pay. A slight adjustment had to be made. Sent the hat back never heard from the hatter again.

Until...I threatened legal action. I got my money back would rather have had the hat.

Had the hatter communicated with me I would been more amenable to a more long term relationship. I enjoy my hats.

Instead what occurred was a stressful experience that has left me quite cautious.

Currently, I am considering another expensive work of art I am however awaiting to hear recommendations from those who post on this forum.

MrHughes

New in Town
fatwoul said:
In part, this is because this person has a good reputation that I have no business to tarnish until they have had chance to fix things.

However, my considerations are predominantly selfish: If I badmouth this guy before I get my hat, he might put fleas in it. lol

You're right! A quality hat sans fleas is always preferable! :D Let's hope it all works out and nothing needs to be said.

Carlisle Blues said:
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I had a similar experience several years ago. My hat cost well over $1,200 I was happy to pay. A slight adjustment had to be made. Sent the hat back never heard from the hatter again.

Until...I threatened legal action. I got my money back would rather have had the hat.

Had the hatter communicated with me I would been more amenable to a more long term relationship. I enjoy my hats.

Instead what occurred was a stressful experience that has left me quite cautious.

Currently, I am considering another expensive work of art I am however awaiting to hear recommendations from those who post on this forum.

Yowza! Do you mind telling, if not the name of the hatter, at least the type of hat that fetches $1,200?

Is (was) it a very nice straw, maybe?

Carlisle Blues

tonyb said:
Yowza! Do you mind telling, if not the name of the hatter, at least the type of hat that fetches $1,200?

Is (was) it a very nice straw, maybe?

Yes Tony it was. I have a penchant for those jewels. I am gun shy though.

I also have to be fiscally responsible. In other words ... if my passion is not loved by those I am financially responsible for, it is definitely respected by them. Therefore, I better make sure I am dealing with someone whom I can trust.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Sorry about the mix ups gentlemen...that would leave me VERY upset!!! I'm already far to cautious about buying things without seeing them...Give me in store with a mirror and friend for consultation and THEN I'll purchase something!!

bolthead

Caity.........

Caity Lynn said:
Sorry about the mix ups gentlemen...that would leave me VERY upset!!! I'm already far to cautious about buying things without seeing them...Give me in store with a mirror and friend for consultation and THEN I'll purchase something!!
Some of us just don't have that luxery though. [huh]

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol, I only have one hat ;) neither do I...I'm lucky If I get to a clothing store more than 5 times a year...nearest one is 50 miles.