Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not trying to be cute, but...

JennieWren

Familiar Face
I wish someone would call me cute. For years, in many different situations, wearing many different types of clothes and hair I have gotten "You look so...original.", which really doesn't sound like a compliment at all, it sounds like the person just substituted "original" for "weird" or "freakish".
People who meet me outside of work are pretty universally shocked when they find out what I do for a living (critical care nurse). I'm never really sure why. I don't know what they expect that I do, probably retail or something.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I agree on it depending on context. Here in Texas, my experience anyway, is it's a compliment. Usually in a cute "sexy" way. For example, showing a friend some things I liked via the What Katie Did website, we oohed and ahhed over the items and said, "so cuuuutte." Also had a friend hurry me along from her annoying neighbors because the last time I was there, they were asking who was that cute friend of yours.
Sometimes I've seen people tell someone of petite stature they were cute, in a tone normally used for children or small furry animals. I can see how that is totally off putting.
On a related note, it used to annoy me when men would call me "exotic." Like I was an alien or something.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've since decided that I adore being called cute. In the last 48 hours I was called both "adorable" and "cutie" by a friend and an acquaintance. I've made my peace with no longer being called "Femme Fatale."

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
For years, in many different situations, wearing many different types of clothes and hair I have gotten "You look so...original.", which really doesn't sound like a compliment at all, it sounds like the person just substituted "original" for "weird" or "freakish".

I know what you mean! Someone once told me "you have such a creative look!" and I felt slightly affronted, like she thought I looked like a walking high school art project.

Sometimes I've seen people tell someone of petite stature they were cute, in a tone normally used for children or small furry animals. I can see how that is totally off putting.

I get it in that tone often when people see me in flat shoes :rolleyes: Interestingly, its never people with whom I have a better degree of familiarity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner