Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

CassD

One of the Regulars
I saw some fantastic mesh stockings at the vintage fair I went to this weekend. Unfortunately, they were on someone and not on a table for purchase lol

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry if this question has already been posted, but I did a flick through the pages & couldn't see it.....I normally buy my stockings from what katie did (their luxury FF stockings), but I find their nude colour much too dark for my pale skintone. I feel they look a bit silly on me. Does anybody know where I can buy pale nude FF stockings?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lola Valentine said:
I'm sorry if this question has already been posted, but I did a flick through the pages & couldn't see it.....I normally buy my stockings from what katie did (their luxury FF stockings), but I find their nude colour much too dark for my pale skintone. I feel they look a bit silly on me. Does anybody know where I can buy pale nude FF stockings?

I generally have the same problem. The only really pale ones I've found are vintage ones. Also note that the sheerer they are (like a 15 denier for example), the less noticeable the color will be.

CassD

One of the Regulars
Lola Valentine, I've had similar problems in the past finding stockings that don't look a bit silly because of my skintone. I'm with KittyT as far as the 15 denier goes. I haven't atually seen any vintage ones up for sale that aren't a bit dark for me yet, but I did find some nice new ones that are 15 denier and a bit paler, so they are out there. I would share the brand, but I threw out the packaging as I hang mine up.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FYI plus size ladies....

There is a lot of ten pairs of Outsize FFs on eBay right now.

Id bid on them but the foot size is too large :rage:

PM me and I can send you the link.

LD

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I really struggle with buying stockings, I'm short, with very small feet (UK size 2-3), very pale skin and not particularly skinny legs (read, could do with losing some weight off them).

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lola Valentine said:

I have this problem as well. I wear stockings from Magnolia, and though they are definitely darker than the rest of me, they are cheap, great quality, and aren't so noticeably darker that it looks ridiculous. At least I hope not!

Anyway, Dita von Teese's brand of stockings at Secrets in Lace look very pale and are supposedly of great quality. Dita says she wears them in all of her performances. I've been meaning to buy a pair to try them out, but the price tag is a little steep for my budget.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine recommended www.stockingshq.com, if you get their newsletter you'll get lots of info/offers where the stockings get really cheap - she wears the cuban heel and it looks amazing teamed up with regular pumps. I think it was meant to be shown, since it ends so far up..

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I know I'm terribly late to this thread, but I actually got lucky and ran across a massive stash of original fully-fashioned seamed stockings (most still new in the boxes) at our local flea market. I bought the entire stock of around 60 pair - for about $30. lol There's a good variety of colors and they all fit me!

Prior to that, I just bought the stockings from mybabyjo.com in sable. However, they're the pointy style - I think they're Cuban heel - and that wasn't really what I was looking for. They're also a tad orangey for me, as I'm fairly pale.

I will say that most of my original stockings are quite similar to modern-day nude or suntan stockings. There is a wide variety of colors - from navy blue to plum to beige - but none that are really pale. Even the lightest pair is still somewhat dark on my skin.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The pointed heel is known as a French heel, and the Cuban heel is blocky, straight across, like the Cuban heel on a shoe.

$30 for 60 pairs, thats amazing!
Make sure you wash them first, so the nylon has a chance to 'loosen' up. Less chance of runs that way :)

LD

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ok, Cuban heel is what most of my originals are. French heel (pointy) are the mybabyjo stockings I previously purchased. Cuban heel is what I prefer.

There is a booth at the local antique mall that sells vintage lingerie soak, and I keep it stocked at home. So far I haven't had a single run in any of the original pairs I've worn!

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
FortWorthGal,
I would be very greatful if you would be willing to let me know which antique mall you purchased the soak at? I live just north of Fort Worth.

Thanks,

Missy

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
MissMissy said:
FortWorthGal,
I would be very greatful if you would be willing to let me know which antique mall you purchased the soak at? I live just north of Fort Worth.

Thanks,

Missy

Missy, Montgomery Street Antique Mall. There's a booth near the main mall entrance that sells bags of it, as well as other "antique care" type products. Next time I'm there I'll try to get the aisle # for you.

FYI, there are also 2 booths there that sell nothing but vintage women's clothing, hats, & shoes! I've gotten some awesome finds there.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Ohhh, I'm excited to check it out! Thanks Fortworthgal!

Missy

Thank you as well Lady Day for recommending thye Hosiery Mate!

Missy

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Please help me!

I can't decide if I should wear french/cuban heels or just seam without a heel. I am afraid the showing heel might look tacky to others (well, the seam will already do.... I have to be careful with my appearance!)[huh]
Otherwise, which does look more classic... french?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
I can't decide if I should wear french/cuban heels or just seam without a heel. I am afraid the showing heel might look tacky to others (well, the seam will already do.... I have to be careful with my appearance!)[huh]

Well the deciding factor here is... what will you be wearing them with?

Personally, I am not a fan of the plain seamed stockings without a heel. Most times when I do wear seamed stockings with a heel, I choose nude so that the whole effect is a little more subtle.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Goldfish said:
I am afraid the showing heel might look tacky to others (well, the seam will already do.... I have to be careful with my appearance!)[huh]

Showing the seamed heel is period correct. Of corse its gonna show :) you see how big it is?

I was never considered tacky, just functional. Its there so your shoe wont rub a hole in your nice new nylons.

You can get 'sandal foot' stockings. Those are seamed without the reinforced heel/toe, and they are peroid correct as well (but I bet best worn with, well, sandals) but I bet they will/would only last one wear because of the lack of reinforcement.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy