Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

missjo

Practically Family
I Don't wear nylons, just stockings made from different materials as nylon stockings werent really around in my neck of the woods till long after ww2.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
cherry lips, I wear pantyhose too! In winter (and often also in the fall, sometimes in spring too :p) it's far too cold here to wear stockings.
Tell me, where did you order culotte slips and bloomers? I have some, but I have only found them in black... And of course I get chafing too. :)

E-bay, where else?;) They have vintage culottes, but I found modern ones that were identical (shiny nylon, lace trim, a bit shorter than knee-length) and bought several from the same seller to save postage. The bloomers were new too and had a more modern look (I think) but are cotton and can be used instead of undies.

KittyT said:
I just can't wear them. They're too binding and also they don't breathe, which is really unhealthy for the girl parts.

This is an important point your making. I always wear cotton undies. I've seen ads in 50s mags for underwear made of rayon and other synthetics. One of the scarier ones was a girdle and panty in one. At least I wear cotton closest to the skin.
I was surprised at how many ladies here "go commando"! It's healthy, but I'd never dare do that outside of my home. It's rather rrriot! :eusa_clap

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
This is an important point your making. I always wear cotton undies. I've seen ads in 50s mags for underwear made of rayon and other synthetics. One of the scarier ones was a girdle and panty in one. At least I wear cotton closest to the skin.

Yeah, and they're doubly bad if you're prone to yeast infections.

I was surprised at how many ladies here "go commando"! It's healthy, but I'd never dare do that outside of my home. It's rather rrriot! :eusa_clap

I definitely can't do it. Boston can be pretty breezy most of the time, and my skirts tend to fly up at inopportune moments. Also, I spend a fair amount of time at work on my hands and knees crawling around under peoples' desks fiddling with computer stuff.

Treesaaw

New in Town
Please forgive me if this was already discussed. I bought my first pair of seamed stockings but I don't know the rules of wearing them.

Can seamed stockings be worn with peep-toe shoes during summertime? If so, are they only acceptable for certain kinds of peep toe shoes, like pumps versus wedges?

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Garter belts?

This may be a stupid question, but...

Do most of you ladies wear garter belts with your seamed stockings? I bought one, but then returned it because they seem to show through under your clothes. Do you ladies also have this problem?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Treesaaw said:
Please forgive me if this was already discussed. I bought my first pair of seamed stockings but I don't know the rules of wearing them.

Can seamed stockings be worn with peep-toe shoes during summertime? If so, are they only acceptable for certain kinds of peep toe shoes, like pumps versus wedges?

This thread replies to all your questions. Id reccomend looking through it throughly.

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SweetieStarr said:
This may be a stupid question, but...

Do most of you ladies wear garter belts with your seamed stockings? I bought one, but then returned it because they seem to show through under your clothes. Do you ladies also have this problem?

Check the foundation garments thread. Yes, it's fine for the bumps to show through your clothing. This is period correct. Wearing a slip will help minimize this issue, and if they show really badly, your clothing is just plain too tight.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Here's a little more pantyhose history, I hope you don't mind. Paul pm:ed me. Enjoy:

From what I can work out there is no definite start date when pantyhose / tights came into use, most likely 1800/s. these were worn on stage by actors / actresses, circus performers, etc

they did not take off in main stream fashions, might be that the above were seen as lower class who knows,

Any how in 1959 when they were introduced again and marketed main stream they also did not take off for a few years. at that time there were seamed and seen by ladies as unhygienic, the mini skirt and very heavy promoting by the hosiery companies did pay off.

Around this time the hosiery mill had spent load of money equipping after the war to make seamed ff, them then around the early 60's they were having to do it again with circular knitting machines to make seamless stockings, and then it was looking like they were going to have to do it again the make pantyhose, a few hosiery mill when out of business around that period.

I'm also curious about what children wore in the teens. To me it looks like they wore white tights.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I was perusing e-bay and found a kit to monogram your silk stockings. The transfers looked like iron on ones. Would you have ironed those on and where would you have placed these monograms? I was thinking were most decorations go on stockings(the ankle) or would they have been more of a laundry mark so you won't get your stockings mixed up with your sisters?

Samantha

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's what I'm thinking of they go way up at the top of the stocking, by where you hook it onto the garter. I dimly recall it's ironed on, and the texture comes out a little like flocking. Ladies liked to monogram things, like in the movie Rebecca, even if it wouldn't be seen, my mom said. Using it as a nice laundry mark makes sense.

Cricket

Practically Family
Ladies, I need your help. I cannot find seam stockings anywhere in town, so I checked out some Web sites. Victoria's Secret had some but they were like $15. Should I just buckle down and buy them or what? I am new at purchasing these type of things, and there are no vintage shops in my area. [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cricket said:
Ladies, I need your help. I cannot find seam stockings anywhere in town, so I checked out some Web sites. Victoria's Secret had some but they were like $15. Should I just buckle down and buy them or what? I am new at purchasing these type of things, and there are no vintage shops in my area. [huh]

Are there any department stores in your area? Most dept stores like Macy's and sometimes even Sears carry at least one brand that has seams. But they're pretty much always going to cost around $10 or more, so you're probably just going to have to suck it up.

I will say that I've worn the VS ones and they're nice. Very silky and I found them pretty durable. They're just not the authentic look I like to wear now.

Cricket

Practically Family
Thanks KittyT. I am glad that you said you tried VS. It is good to hear that they worked out well. We have an old department store that still sells the vintage-style merchandise. They had a hole corner of fishnet stockings, and when I asked about seams, the lady (who was an older lady) said, "We don't have any, but I am sure glad that someone like you still stops in."
It was so funny! We spent 30 minutes talking about pencil skirts, gloves, seamed stockings and hats galore.
I may not have picked up a pair of stockings, but it was wonderful talking to a a true diva. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cricket said:
Victoria's Secret had some but they were like $15. Should I just buckle down and buy them or what?

$15 isnt a whole lot for a pair of stockings (nylon). Check out the 30s Wards catalog thread. They were selling for 65¢ a pair and up back then. Thats pretty close to $13+ today. If these are stretch stockings, then yeah, thats pricey because you are paying for that faux seam thats down the back, that looks like a characture of FFs in my opinion.

Those might be good to practice on, but if youre interested in real nylon FFs, then you prolly wanna try one of the online stores and invest in a pair for fit.

LD

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I may have missed it in my skimming through this thread, and using the search function wasn't helpful. Has anyone been able to find plus-sized FF stockings? The only ones I've seen are regular sizes, and certainly won't fit my legs. I tried googling for it and was able to find a lovely high-waisted open bottom girdle that looked like it would do the job for me (at $48 was way out of my price range, though), but even that site only had modern stockings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic