Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I really like the look of a french heel seam, but i would like to find a pair where the seam is a lighter grey and the stocking is my skintone.. any suggestions?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Contrasting seam stockings are popular (I love them too), and therefore, more expensive. Stockingstore will have them. They have everything.

LD

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I know that they are period correct, but where are life people are very strange when it comes to fashion... I have been going to bullying in the past because I didn't dress like everyone else :(

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
this my my pair of Gervin stockings, they have a pyramid heel, but I would have preffered a french heel - I am guessing they have a straight edge in the heel. Does anybody else know of Gervin stckings and if they have french heeled stockings?

DSC01469.jpg

This is the package :

DSC01387.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
this my my pair of Gervin stockings, they have a pyramid heel, but I would have preffered a french heel - I am guessing they have a straight edge in the heel. Does anybody else know of Gervin stckings and if they have french heeled stockings?

Those ARE a French heel. Modern ones always have that little zigzag edge.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The zig zag is around the foot and heel because its mainly there for decoration, and not a real part of the construction of the stocking. If you are able to see real (vintage) contrasting seam stockings, you will see there isnt a huge black line going up the back, but rather the regular seam (often in the color of the stocking) stitched together by a darker thread, thus resulting in the seam look from afar.

The seam is not as bold as the ones in modern repos.

LD

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I envy all you ladies who can wear stockings. I miss when I lived in New York because I always wore stockings, since moving out to Arizona it is far too hot in the Summer (and Spring, and Fall) to wear hosiery.

sigh.

Darhling those stockings are fabulous on you!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I envy all you ladies who can wear stockings. I miss when I lived in New York because I always wore stockings, since moving out to Arizona it is far too hot in the Summer (and Spring, and Fall) to wear hosiery.

I wear stockings here in the summertime, even with 90 degree heat and 100% humidity. Not so much for work, but definitely for nights out in air conditioned venues.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
ahh okay.. I just read the back of the package and it says pyramid heel.

Keep in mind that different companies use different terminology. Secrets in Lace sells their Cuban heel stockings as "European Heel". Frederick's of Hollywood sells point/French heeled stockings as "Cuban Heel".

I think the main moral of the story is that most modern companies have no idea what the hell they're talking about. As a consumer, you just have to know the difference :)

Sunny

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I wear stockings here in the summertime, even with 90 degree heat and 100% humidity. Not so much for work, but definitely for nights out in air conditioned venues.
Ditto here, and it'll be over 100 with... well, higher humidity than Arizona. ;) And I were them to work and church and pretty much everywhere else. Because when it's air conditioned, stockings feel good. And even when I'm hot, stockings keep my legs from sticking together so much. For me, when it's over 90, I'm going to be hot no matter what I do. Stockings simply aren't going to have much of an effect one way other t'other.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Ditto here, and it'll be over 100 with... well, higher humidity than Arizona. ;) And I were them to work and church and pretty much everywhere else. Because when it's air conditioned, stockings feel good. And even when I'm hot, stockings keep my legs from sticking together so much. For me, when it's over 90, I'm going to be hot no matter what I do. Stockings simply aren't going to have much of an effect one way other t'other.

You and KittyT have higher thresholds for pain than I do. You get my respect. I get out of bed and it is already 94 degrees outside.. I just want to wear cotton. ...from head to toe.

One of the reasons my husband and I don't move to DFW is because we are woosies.. we can't handle that humidity. ;) Even during our monsoons it isn't that bad here.

However, I can wear fishnets on occasion, those have built in vents. :D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Pantyhose!

I'm probably one of the only ladies here who wears pantyhose. I've heard that some of you despise them, is this true? If so, why? I can see they're not as flattering as a seam that devides the leg in two etc, but still.
I can't go bare-legged in the summer because of chafing, but I've just ordered som culotte slips and bloomers so that problem is solved :)
Anyway, I wanted to know exactly how non-vintage my hose-wearing habit is, and look what I found out! (wiki):

The actress-dancer Ann Miller devised pantyhose in the early 1940s as a solution to the problem of continual torn stockings during the filming of dance production numbers. The common practice had been to sew hosiery to briefs worn by Miller. If torn, these had to be removed and resewn with a new pair. At Miller's request, hosiery was manufactured for her as a single pantyhose. The first attempt was too short for Miller's long legs; the second try got it right.

174895~Ann-Miller-Posters.jpg

Pantyhose were officially introduced to the public in 1959. I like that year, so I guess they're vintage enough for me :)
Maybe many of you knew about Ann Miller and early pantyhose already, but I'm guessing not everyone did.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
I'm probably one of the only ladies here who wears pantyhose. I've heard that some of you despise them, is this true? If so, why? I can see they're not as flattering as a seam that devides the leg in two etc, but still.
I can't go bare-legged in the summer because of chafing, but I've just ordered som culotte slips and bloomers so that problem is solved :)

cherry lips, I wear pantyhose too! In winter (and often also in the fall, sometimes in spring too :p) it's far too cold here to wear stockings.

Tell me, where did you order culotte slips and bloomers? I have some, but I have only found them in black... And of course I get chafing too. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just can't wear them. They're too binding and also they don't breathe, which is really unhealthy for the girl parts.

missjo

Practically Family
My lifestyle is centered around the late 1930s, early 40s.
So pantyhose simply arent authentic for what I like to dress like, just like nylon stockings.
I prefer stockings because they are so much part of that era and because I get a lot of response from wearing them, no not just dirty old men but nice elderly ladies who want to talk about life back then.
They (together with the garterbelt) also alter the way you walk and behave.
Since I started wearing stockings I almost stopped climbing trees and fighting in public :D
Pantyhose are also much more fragile then stockings and I dont like the 'use and throw away' mentality of the modern age.
If my stockings get damaged, I can repair them.

And pantyhose are just too tight and not very breathable.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Did you check out Texasgirl's thread. Wards was selling stockings (fantastically expensive ones) in their 30s catalog.

So you could wear them if in you wanted.

LD

missjo

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Did you check out Texasgirl's thread. Wards was selling stockings (fantastically expensive ones) in their 30s catalog.

So you could wear them if in you wanted.

LD

Who me?
I am already wearing stockings, every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy