Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Notions about fit

Damon141

Practically Family
@MrProper : Kind of like the style you have to be honest. Not too flashy effortlessly cool.

There was a time here in the USA where these graffiti shirts were popular with younger guys mainly in their teens and 20’s. Affliction was a brand. Every so often you would see older guys wearing them and it looked funny.

In my 20’s I would wear tshirts that had designer brands or logos across like Polo, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein but now that I’m older I wouldn’t wear that and choose mostly Henly style shirts and mid rise jeans that are neither loose nor skin tight.

I don’t know if skinny jeans ever caught on in Austria lol but if they did can you imagine a grown man wearing them.

The reverse can be said about age appropriate, it could also mean just because you are older you don’t have to wear old man clothes.

I live in Florida by the beach and the vast majority of older men try to emulate Jimmy buffet’s style in the 3rd picture but clearly they would look better if they took some tips the the first two, Ofcourse suited to their own lifestyle.

Attachments

• 50E1A666-3742-43FE-A47A-6FBDCD7C824D.jpeg
    50E1A666-3742-43FE-A47A-6FBDCD7C824D.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 133
  • CFCD987F-7070-4EA5-B777-812F737A926E.jpeg
    CFCD987F-7070-4EA5-B777-812F737A926E.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 105
  • BDB9EACB-1F36-4C71-9256-A299FAE79534.png
    BDB9EACB-1F36-4C71-9256-A299FAE79534.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I've eluded to the "TFL Fit" in previous posts, which was a tailored, slim to skinny fit for jackets, which for many is not a functional fit. Sure it's great for static posing with arms at the side for doctored social media photos, but for dynamic reality, it's just not practical. Most people who actually use these jackets for work, riding, etc, the fits tend to be more "generous", or practical.

For certain body types, TLF Fit works well, but for myself it absolutely does not, because as I move stuff moves around and it makes the jacket terribly confining, and I adjust my expectations accordingly.

I think there are certain base line things that are universal, like having a sleeve past your finger tips, or shoulders sagging down to your bicep, my own definition of fit is the right equilibrium of comfort and flattering your appearance.

It's kinda funny really, because those in the past like the Brandos and such, wore jackets that if they were a random person posting here, forum members would say oh you need to tuck this, shorten that, etc etc.

In a much lesser extent, I liken it to my anecdotal observations with women and high heels. The few proclaim how they can wear them all day in comfort, look good in them and all that, which then leads to others following suit because they want to achieve the same look, but then are just laboring wearing them. A similar phenomenon happens with fit here with jackets. But that's fashion, and I hate fashion, and the irony is that the hipster work wear trend was supposed to be an anti-fashion statement, and yet...

Fashion oftentimes dictates fit, and currently the proper fit is a skinny cut. Rewind 30 years and the proper fit was far, far more generous. Suits these days are painted on, gym clothes now are all tapered, so the general consensus is slim fit, and this has carried over into this world, which I always found interesting because of all the attention paid to period correct, authentic reproductions, however the fit is nothing like those who wore them in photographs, the fit is always far far more modern.

Mich486

One Too Many
Embracing different cuts and patterns imho is the key for variety and happiness in this hobby.

Sometimes I feel certain people are super set on a certain fit or set of measurements and all of their jackets have the same silhouette. Don’t know… kind of boring?

Some cool factor is undoubtedly needed to pull off certain styles more than others. It’s not just age obviously.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Prince was the epitome of cool back where/when I was from. I have two white leather jackets and am getting a third one (in white leather). I also learned to play guitar in high school trying to be 1/10th as cool as Prince. But I get it, it was a different time then. Talent got guys laid, not just pretty faces and auto tune.

Purple Rain

Damon141

Practically Family
I do not think that Jason Momoa got a good fit out of his Centinela

If people are comfortable with what they are wearing then they generally pull it off. No need to ask anyone :)

As a former personal trainer while in college and weightlifter all my life I know from experience that it’s nearly impossible to maintain the same muscle mass year round. Since they said it was custom fitted I just assumed he was larger when measured because he obviously relaxes his training while not filming a movie that requires the superhero physique.

But in general I meant his look, he just has a tough look and I could picture him patched up riding with a real club.

Damon141

Practically Family

Attachments

• A58D03B7-E33B-4B0C-A45F-040D774DE1BC.jpeg
    A58D03B7-E33B-4B0C-A45F-040D774DE1BC.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 65
  • E50665C0-CF3F-4E55-BD60-BF9433DB429C.jpeg
    E50665C0-CF3F-4E55-BD60-BF9433DB429C.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 62

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a former personal trainer while in college and weightlifter all my life I know from experience that it’s nearly impossible to maintain the same muscle mass year round. Since they said it was custom fitted I just assumed he was larger when measured because he obviously relaxes his training while not filming a movie that requires the superhero physique.

But in general I meant his look, he just has a tough look and I could picture him patched up riding with a real club.

Good point on the weight variation, he might not need to be as big while promoting the movie then when actually shooting it. That being said, a jacket can look good on someone even with 10 - 15kg variation. Precise measurements are not that important for a jacket, not as much as for trousers for example.

Back to the point, I don't think you need to look tough to pull off that leathertogs jacket or any other motorcycle jacket. They were utilitarian article of clothing worn in everyday life. I don't see why it should be any different nowadays....
Sure it does help to be in shape, but that could be said of any item of clothing.

The most important think is not to feel too self conscious, if you are wearing a jacket naturally, nobody will bat an eye-lid. I regularly wear the Leathertogs B from LW and do not look specially tough.

Damon141

Practically Family
Do you have a link to your Lost Worlds?
The more I look at his jackets the more I want one despite some having negative experiences. The craftsmanship is clearly amazing and the bulletproof leather seems unique to him.

MrProper

Kind of like the style you have to be honest. Not too flashy effortlessly cool.
Thanks for the compliment ;)
But I'm pretty sure some people think I don't dress age-appropriate. Shirts too tight, sweater too tight, low to mid raise and slim fit pants. Colorful sneakers and trail running shoes at the office.
But what I do not care heartily.

But most people don't know how old I am anyway and they don't notice it as much. Unconscious Bias ;)

And yes, skinny also exists here in Austria. I have tried, but that looks too weird on my skinny legs *lol*.

I think there really is no such thing as age-appropriate clothing. With the appropriate self-confidence, anyone can wear anything and will not look stupid.

red devil

Do you have a link to your Lost Worlds?
The more I look at his jackets the more I want one despite some having negative experiences. The craftsmanship is clearly amazing and the bulletproof leather seems unique to him.

Sure!

This the first one that was made, it was originally a custom I asked for because I couldn't get the centinela to fit well

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lost-worlds-leathertogs-b-in-black-hh.101318/

And there is the official link:

http://lostworldsinc.com/Leathertogs%20'B'%20Vintage%20Horsehide%20Motorcycle%20Jacket.htm

Edit: the moose version at the end of the page is also mine, going to have it in hands in about a week :D

Edit 2: fixed the link

Last edited:

Damon141

Practically Family
Sure!

This the first one that was made, it was originally a custom I asked for because I couldn't get the centinela to fit well

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/members/red-devil.37417/

And there is the official link:

http://lostworldsinc.com/Leathertogs%20'B'%20Vintage%20Horsehide%20Motorcycle%20Jacket.htm

Edit: the moose version at the end of the page is also mine, going to have it in hands in about a week :D
I couldn’t see the link for your fit, for some reason it just links me to your bio.

Something tells me without ever touching it that moose would be a great thick leather with a great softness which would mold to your body

red devil

I couldn’t see the link for your fit, for some reason it just links me to your bio.

Something tells me without ever touching it that moose would be a great thick leather with a great softness which would mold to your body
Oups, fixed the link in the post, here it is:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lost-worlds-leathertogs-b-in-black-hh.101318/

Yes, the moose is amazing, it is 2.2 to 2.4mm thick as per the specs from the tannery and it has an amazing feeling to it :D

Damon141

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliment ;)
But I'm pretty sure some people think I don't dress age-appropriate. Shirts too tight, sweater too tight, low to mid raise and slim fit pants. Colorful sneakers and trail running shoes at the office.
But what I do not care heartily.

But most people don't know how old I am anyway and they don't notice it as much. Unconscious Bias ;)

And yes, skinny also exists here in Austria. I have tried, but that looks too weird on my skinny legs *lol*.

I think there really is no such thing as age-appropriate clothing. With the appropriate self-confidence, anyone can wear anything and will not look stupid.
I just turned 40 so I’m not as young as I used to be, I think everyone on this board could only hope to be in your shape. 20 year olds are not in your shape.

You among others in my first thread about fit mentioned that bulky type people have trouble fitting into jackets, I think it was CanuckPanda that mentioned that to me which has prompted me to get my diet n check and slowly lean out if I want to continue this jacket hobby. His comment stick with me.

In the past year I have put on a bit of fat so I started eating a bit better and changing my workouts towards a maintenance style instead of mass mass mass.

Please excuse the shirtless pictures, I’m not posting them to show off but maybe they might help someone that had similar experience trying to fit jackets (basically if make your body fit the jacket versus jacket fit the jacket)
I just know now that I would never look right in high quality leather without keeping the bulk down.
The first is me when I met my girl 3 years ago, the next is when I received my 5star (obviously got comfortable) this last is a couple weeks ago.

This first pic I was around 230lbs/104kg 5’10”/177cm
Last picture I was 195lbs/88kg

So for my height I’m going to try to gradually get down to a healthy 175lbs/79kg

Already I sleep better at night, when I was heavy I was snoring to the point I thought I had sleep apnea. I wasn’t even big like a bodybuilder so you can imagine those guys can’t walk a flight of stairs without being winded

Attachments

• 7DFE928C-C930-4FA1-86FC-3EF6826178E4.jpeg
    7DFE928C-C930-4FA1-86FC-3EF6826178E4.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 9AC0BD50-16B3-4638-8CBF-75C64633F90F.jpeg
    9AC0BD50-16B3-4638-8CBF-75C64633F90F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • B277EFB4-CF5D-49C0-924D-707F16387234.jpeg
    B277EFB4-CF5D-49C0-924D-707F16387234.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 119

Damon141

Practically Family
Oups, fixed the link in the post, here it is:

Yes, the moose is amazing, it is 2.2 to 2.4mm thick as per the specs from the tannery and it has an amazing feeling to it :D
Craftsmanship looks amazing, French seams amazing stitching. When you discuss fit, does he give you the option for tighter sleeves if that is a preference or is that model specific?

I’m afraid that his brand might disappear if he decides to retire from the article about his sons not interested in the business and his one craftsman which has been with him since the beginning has to be getting older. It would be a shame for the brand to disappear or fall in quality

Craftsmanship looks amazing, French seams amazing stitching. When you discuss fit, does he give you the option for tighter sleeves if that is a preference or is that model specific?

I’m afraid that his brand might disappear if he decides to retire from the article about his sons not interested in the business and his one craftsman which has been with him since the beginning has to be getting older. It would be a shame for the brand to disappear or fall in quality

I wouldn’t worry, Carlos and Red will inherit the biz and somehow keep it going.

Damon141

Practically Family
I wonder how much he would sell it for?

I have put much thought into starting a bespoke leather jacket business, I have lots of free time but not a bit of knowledge on how to pattern and sew.

I want to learn so badly that if I lived in a state where a jacket maker operated then I would literally donate my time to apprentice and learn.

I’ve looked at the basics of equipment and for a business it is pretty affordable compared to many other industries to purchase a few sewing machines, a skiving machine, stud and snap button press, button hole machine, tables cutting tools, and supplies, leather etc.

Talent though is priceless and I would not know where to start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk