Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice needs guidance

English Bob

New in Town
Hi, English Bob here. I am new to The Fedora Lounge and wanted to say Hi and ask advice from all you experts. I have a few Akubra fur felts the best of the bunch being a grey Fedora and a Brown Federation (Indy type) and also I have two Cuenca panamas which are OK but not fantastic. I can't stop thinking about hats and think I must be sick but the only solution I find is to buy another hat. I aspire to a Montecristi but don't really know where to start can anyone put me on the right track.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
The one the only Panamabob.

Most of us get ours from Panamabob. He is a member here. Excellent Montecristi Panama hats.

Go to search and put in his name and send him a pm.His Phone # is 260-343-2686. He will fix you right up. :)

Sharpey

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
English Bob said:
Hi, English Bob here. I am new to The Fedora Lounge and wanted to say Hi and ask advice from all you experts. I have a few Akubra fur felts the best of the bunch being a grey Fedora and a Brown Federation (Indy type) and also I have two Cuenca panamas which are OK but not fantastic. I can't stop thinking about hats and think I must be sick but the only solution I find is to buy another hat. I aspire to a Montecristi but don't really know where to start can anyone put me on the right track.

English Bob, I agree with Sharpetoys. Can't do better than Panama Bob as your supplier and Art Fawcett as your blocker, both are here on the Lounge. I just bought a Montecristi from them and I love it...

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/hats/dscn5457.html

English Bob

New in Town
Good Advice Thanks

Thanks Sharpetoys and Kaleponi Craig. I have looked at The Montecristi hatworks site and it looks the business. Although I understand what weaves per sq inch is I havn't any experience of how it feels and looks. Where would you start 400/600 or higher. I am also not sure if it is feasible also to have a hat blocked in the USA and sent to the UK, maybe it would be better to buy a ready blocked hat as per the standard forms on the site. Tell me more

Canadave

One Too Many
English Bob said:
...I am also not sure if it is feasible also to have a hat blocked in the USA and sent to the UK, maybe it would be better to buy a ready blocked hat as per the standard forms on the site. Tell me more

I think if you know the style you want, it should be no problem getting it blocked by Art and sent to you in the UK. He sent mine to Canada with no problem. Here's a thread that shows my body from Robert (Panamabob) and the finished product by Art.

Welcome and good luck,

David

English Bob

New in Town
Nice Hat

Thanks for the thread. Great looking hat, very individual. What is the spec, grade, brim, crown etc or are some things too good to share.

Canadave

One Too Many
All good questions, and you know what? I'll have to measure. With my large hat size, I just asked Bob to find a body that would work for me. Then I asked Art for a C-crown (and we discussed ribbon style). Other than that, I trusted him.

The brim is ~2 3/4" at the front, and 3" at the sides and back. The crown is 5" to the top of the pinch and 4" at the back (nice rake!). I'm not even sure of the grade...we'd have to ask Robert. The WPSI is about 480, but it's hard to count!

Hope that helps.

David

English Bob

New in Town
Dog and hat

Hi Sharpey, thanks for nice words,hat is an Akubra Reef. unusual as it it solid straw (wont bend) nice hat and pretty cheap for summers in garden with daft dog (Oscar Akubra)

English Bob

New in Town
Reef Band

Sharpey, a Montecristi blocked like the reef would be beautiful. Band is a dark red Paisley Pugaree triple fold and the hat style is like Cross between Aussie bush style and Planter.
Crown is 41/4" front 4" back 41/2" sides (slight rake)and brim is 31/2".
Send photo if you decide to go ahead.
You have vision my man.
p.s How do you add a quote to your message I can't figure it out

English Bob

New in Town
Shipping costs

Sharpey,
The answer to the shipping cost conundrum is to buy more hats. The cost per hat comes down. check it out.

Canadave

One Too Many
English Bob said:
...p.s How do you add a quote to your message I can't figure it out

Hey EBob...just click on the quote button to the right on the post you want to quote, and you'll figure it out from there! :) Good luck,

David

PS You can edit what is within the quotes, like I did above.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
You are the man.

English Bob said:
Sharpey, a Montecristi blocked like the reef would be beautiful. Band is a dark red Paisley Pugaree triple fold and the hat style is like Cross between Aussie bush style and Planter.
Crown is 41/4" front 4" back 41/2" sides (slight rake)and brim is 31/2".
Send photo if you decide to go ahead.
You have vision my man.
p.s How do you add a quote to your message I can't figure it out

Thank you. I have a Montecristi hat body that would work out.I have the pugs already plus a bunch of Vintage ribbon and the finest roan you but today.

I have hat the hat body about a year and this was such a large body I have more than enough for the brim.
Will make a great fishing hat here in Florida. :)
Regards,

Sharpey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda