Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
As the resident expert, how big is the star vent from point to point? That will be my next upgrade to my campaign hat.

I added a cavalry cord to it the other day but with my fat...I mean over proportional sized...head, the acorns don't hang out very far. I will probably have to fabricate one using 550 cord.

I love the pic's you find dean. Keep them coming.

T2eC16hzoE9s5ngyQuBQ5H9V1g60_57.jpg

LOVE the star vents! And that brim stitching too...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As the resident expert, how big is the star vent from point to point? That will be my next upgrade to my campaign hat.

I added a cavalry cord to it the other day but with my fat...I mean over proportional sized...head, the acorns don't hang out very far. I will probably have to fabricate one using 550 cord.

Thanks, Cat. I honestly am not sure of the star vent dimensions but my best guess based on some photo-analysis is that the star vent is about 1 1/2" wide from point tip to point tip. I'm basing that on the size of the vent pictured in relation to the grosgrain ribbon being 5/8" wide than using that dimension to come pretty close on the star vent dimension. (I do know that the vent was specified as being 3 1/4" up the side of the crown from the brim):

1904CampaignHat-furrepro-side.jpg

1904CampaignHat-repro-Stardetail.jpg

spanish-american-war-m1902-campaign-hat-star-vent-named-engineer-co-omaha-neb_180991206841.jpg

dean

Last edited:

deanglen

What size do you wear? 7 3/4? 7 5/8?

dean

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Depending on the hat I'm both. I have a some that are 7 5/8 and a couple in 7 3/4. The 1904 Campaign hat is 7 5/8, Akubra but it sits high on my head. A couple cowboy/fedora conversions are 7 3/4 and they fit comfortable.

It's tough finding big hats to fit my pony keg of a head. I compensate by telling people you can't fit all my good looks into a small head.

deanglen

An old ebay listing had these great shots of an authentic M1889. It's black, and I read somewhere that officers were allowed these dark versions, in addition the hat cord is an officer's. There was a close up of the snowflake vent, but the holes were so tiny they did not show up well, which means reproducing that style vent means using a pretty tiny punch. The brim stitching is a longer stitch length than I used on my M1883 repro, so I'll have to check the settings on my machine to see if I can reproduce it. And use the triple-stitch setting for uniform spacing.

dsp_photo3_3544-Copy.jpg

dsp_photo3_3545.jpg

dsp_photo3_3546-Copy.jpg

dsp_photo3_3560.jpg

dsp_photo3_3547-Copy.jpg

dsp_photo3_3548-Copy.jpg

dsp_photo3_3549.jpg

dsp_photo3_3556.jpg

dsp_photo3_3557.jpg

dsp_photo3_3562.jpg

dean

Last edited:

deanglen

Here's my M1899 refurb of a hat from Coon Creek Sutlers that was supposed to be an Indian Wars campaign hat. Basically I re-ribboned it, took out the cheap sweat and liner, and sewed in some leather close to spec dimensions, added brim stitch, 1" vents, and creased it fore and aft, and trimmed the brim a tapered 3" on the sides, 2 3/4" front and back. BTW it's wool, some originals were, apparently:

0109131433.jpg

01091314341.jpg

0109131434a.jpg

0109131435.jpg

0109131435a.jpg

0109131435b.jpg

01091314361.jpg

0109131436a.jpg

dean

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
M1911 Campaign Hat

My oldest boy bought this for me for Christmas last year from an Army-Navy store. It's my knockabout-yardwork hat. It also doubles as a hard hat, it's so stiff. I love it.

20130119_170532.jpg

deanglen

Dean, amazing work on that refurb!

Aaron

Well, thank you, Aaron! I've been creasing and re-creasing it different ways, and I must say, for a wool hat, hot water to shape it hasn't done much if anything to alter it. I wonder if it's a 10% fur blend wool felt. Right now, I've eased the top fore and aft crease and put some swoop in the front and back brim with slight side crown indents. I think this is how it will stay!:

0121131516.jpg

0121131526.jpg

0121131527.jpg

dean

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I've got a old campaign hat from sometime around WWI. It doesn't fit me, but I like having a piece of American history sitting around the house, and I'm sure it's the oldest hat I have by far. I don't know much about it, or campaign hats in general.

8403581398_4a85120a3a_b.jpg

And inside...
8402491451_73dce01f68_b.jpg

TomS

One Too Many
When I see pics of this period I'm always surprised at the amount of individualism that was afforded to the soldier. Even in Garrison photos, where regulations would be more vigorously enforced, the men still seem to be allowed to do their own thing to certain extents. Not the way it was when I was in the USMC...lol!!

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know when, or why, the hat device (crossed sabers/rifles) went from the side of the hat to the front?

I've seen photos from the civil war with them on the front, then some from the Spanish American war era with them on the side, then back to front. Any idea why? Was it a service branch thing? An individual unit thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner