Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

liten

One of the Regulars
i think they pined it there because it was a larger erea for the badge to sit flat on the hat, on the front of the hat, they tended to stick out ,and get probly knocked off ,iand they broke easyly if were not lead filled

liten

One of the Regulars
Thanks dean im currently finishing off a 1876 campaign hat , and have managed to get over the problem of folding the edge of the brim over , like the orignals. ive got to the sweatband stage now , and was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me the correct color to dye , going by hats ive seen for sale , its a redish color of a tan. thanks peter

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks dean im currently finishing off a 1876 campaign hat , and have managed to get over the problem of folding the edge of the brim over , like the orignals. ive got to the sweatband stage now , and was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me the correct color to dye , going by hats ive seen for sale , its a redish color of a tan. thanks peter

Peter,

Just a couple of questions for you. Weren't 1876 Campaign Hats black? According to the regulations I found on line, they were. The later models were described as "drab", which I assume was the light brown/tan/beige color many hats have. What is your technique for bending over the brim edge? With an 1876 model, it would be folded bottom over top, of course. The M1904s that I want to recreate folded top over bottom, yet bending wool felt is hard enough, the fur felt is even trickier. Can't wait to see your work!

dean

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Peter,

Just a couple of questions for you. Weren't 1876 Campaign Hats black? According to the regulations I found on line, they were. The later models were described as "drab", which I assume was the light brown/tan/beige color many hats have. What is your technique for bending over the brim edge? With an 1876 model, it would be folded bottom over top, of course. The M1904s that I want to recreate folded top over bottom, yet bending wool felt is hard enough, the fur felt is even trickier. Can't wait to see your work!

dean

Reading what he wrote, I think he's asking about dying the sweatband, not the hat body.

TomS

One Too Many
Does anyone know when, or why, the hat device (crossed sabers/rifles) went from the side of the hat to the front?

I've seen photos from the civil war with them on the front, then some from the Spanish American war era with them on the side, then back to front. Any idea why? Was it a service branch thing? An individual unit thing?

This is just my guess, but it seems that individuality was allowed, or perhaps even encouraged, and the placement of insignias were something that the individual soldier/Marine determined. The concept of individuality is not something that we veterans of the latter twentieth century can relate to, but it seems to be the norm during earlier periods. I base this conclusion on the fact that so many group photos show enlisted men AND officers/NCOs in the same photo with all manner of individualism present; clearly the *bosses* knew about it. Just my .02!
Best,
TomS

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
i think they pined it there because it was a larger erea for the badge to sit flat on the hat, on the front of the hat, they tended to stick out ,and get probly knocked off ,iand they broke easyly if were not lead filled

That's the best/only reason I've heard so far. It will have to work for me. Thanks, liten.

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
This is just my guess, but it seems that individuality was allowed, or perhaps even encouraged, and the placement of insignias were something that the individual soldier/Marine determined. The concept of individuality is not some thing that we veterans of the latter twentieth century can relate to, but it seems to be the norm during earlier periods. I base this conclusion on the fact that so many group photos show enlisted men AND officers/NCOs in the same photo with all manner of individualism present; clearly the *bosses* knew about it. Just my .02!
Best,
TomS

I don't remember my NCO's ever talking about individualism. I must have been on sick call that day. Thanks, TomS.

TomS

One Too Many
I don't remember my NCO's ever talking about individualism. I must have been on sick call that day. Thanks, TomS.

I suspect if you read my post with greater care you will take greater clarity, sir. While I recognize you are new to the forum, your sarcasm isn't well placed.

Last edited:

liten

One of the Regulars
Peter,

dean

yes thats correct dean , they are a black hat, i found it to hard to fold , so i stuck another peice of felt to the underside of the brim, then it was simple enough job to trim the edge , allowing for the 3/8 fold and stuck it down , then i got a leather worker to stitch it down with two rows of stitching like orignals, the sweatband hides the fabric edge in the hat hole, i used self adhesve felt to do the job which was two mils thick , thanks peter

liten

One of the Regulars
just to add, the hat i used was a civil slouch hat from river junction, that had the 6inch crown like orignals, then i got the correct rippon and vents form dirty bills. peter

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
This is just my guess, but it seems that individuality was allowed, or perhaps even encouraged, and the placement of insignias were something that the individual soldier/Marine determined. The concept of individuality is not something that we veterans of the latter twentieth century can relate to, but it seems to be the norm during earlier periods. I base this conclusion on the fact that so many group photos show enlisted men AND officers/NCOs in the same photo with all manner of individualism present; clearly the *bosses* knew about it. Just my .02!
Best,
TomS

This was a different Navy than the one I knew!

LandingpartyUSSSouthCarolinaBB-26.jpg

LandingpartyVeraCruzMexico1914.jpg

By the away, one reason the whites in the 2nd pic look so dingy, is that they dipped them in coffee for an expedient camo. Both are from the Vera Cruz, Mexico "incident."

PS: I guess you can call these Campaign Hats! The white hat is NOT a "cap" in the USN.....

liten

One of the Regulars
no he didnt directly sell the parts to me , the vents and rippon were of a hat that he sold to me years ago! sorry if i put you wrong . thanks peter

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Members of Naval Landing Party, Vera Cruz, Mexico 1914

post-5-1220415163_zps9eb1a425.jpg

Marine and Navy Officers, Vera Cruz, Mexico. Note EGA Device.

post-376-1270316134_zpsec456e12.jpg

The senior officers of the 1st Marine Brigade photographed at Veracruz in 1914. Front row, left to right: Lt. Col. Wendell C. Neville; Col. John A. Lejeune; Col. Littleton W. T. Waller, Commanding; and Maj. Smedley Butler.

post-376-1270316449_zpsf1efe4ae.jpg

Note that both styles of campaign hats were in use. Marines disembarking USS Utah BB31.

post-6133-1270485686_zps061901c7.jpg

Official USMC photo: Navy Corpsman with wounded Mexican defender. Note EGA device.

post-20979-1298384417_zpsfd918d02.jpg

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I suspect if you read my post with greater care you will take greater clarity, sir. While I recognize you are new to the forum, your sarcasm isn't well placed.

TomS, let me start with an apology. It was not my intention to be scarcastic or to offend. After re-reading the posts and timeframe I can see how you would have taken it that way.

I could offer long drawn out reasons and explanations but they would end up just being excuses.

Please accept this as a formal apology.

I will also PM this to you so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffel.

TomS

One Too Many
You are a gentleman of the first order. Please forgive ME if I over-reacted, sir. I suspect that I did.
Best,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy