Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like the officers referring to the 1872 issue hat, commonly referred as the Andrews hat, they were made of cheap inferior material and only lasted a short time ,out in the field. they were not a popular hat.

Hi

The timing would be right for that to be an Andrew's hat, but the description "black, high crowned, stiff-brimmed hat" makes it sound more like an old Hardee hat. The Andrew's hat folded so at least part of the brim would have to be soft(er).

Just my $0.02 and worth every cent.

deanglen

National Guard Campaign hats of the early 1900s

Feast your eyes, these guys look tough, rough and ready...once a month. They rock a campaign hat, too!

07275v_zps938f6550.jpg

28004v_zps2ab68234.jpg

28003v_zps4e413edf.jpg

13671v_zpse46bdb6c.jpg

13670v_zpsecfb482f.jpg

13665v_zps06411785.jpg

13173v_zps3f4d962a.jpg

13172v_zpsd8ee9439.jpg

13170v_zpse25bff57.jpg

dean

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Great pics, Dean. What a variety of assorted bashes and creases. Uniforms look like SAW period or shortly after?

PS: Thanks for the ribbon you sent me! :)

TomS

One Too Many
That's awesome. I'm always struck by the level of individuality that is apparently permitted in the wearing of uniforms! Thanks for sharing...

deanglen

"PS: Thanks for the ribbon you sent me! " You're welcome!

If you click on the photos and choose view in new window, they are larger and better to view!

dean

Story

I'll Lock Up
In case this was missed when it first came out -

The broad-brimmed, high-crowned hat that national park rangers wear with their class A uniform was first specified as National Park Service apparel in the agency's 1920 uniform regulations. Since this was only four years after Congress created the National Park Service, the hat that rangers call the "flat hat" is one of the agency's longest-standing traditions. It is instantly recognized, though many people will tell you that it's a "Smokey Bear hat" and some will say it's a Stetson.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/02/short-history-flat-hats-lemon-squeezer-pinch7583

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Before I go "elsewhere" I was wondering if anyone on this site could make me a Campaign Hat to spec? Thanks I'm torn between the "Montana Peak" which I like but want it shorter than some of the commerically available models and the Marine Philipine or Army Spanish American kind. I'm currently having some caps made here as well as a "Sinatra" but don't know if anyone here could do what I'm thinking about.

Thanks in advance...

Worf

1961MJS

Hi Worf

I had Major Moore build me a Roughrider hat that's shown back in the BUCKAROO Hatter thread. If you have a cutout from your head, or if you have him send you a conformer you can get the right size. If you have an idea how high the open crown should be and what brim you want, he can fix you up. I'm sure there are others that can do similar work, but Mike has built me three hats to my specs and they came out just like I asked. The fourth hat was just an unfortunate incident where I was in his shop having the John Wayne hat built and there was this big hat in Steel that spoke to me... The Big Black One I have is a copy.

I have a Rough Rider hat, a Doc Holliday Hat, and a John Wayne hat built. You can tell which hat is a copy of which movie character.

Rough Rider: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?34367-BUCKAROO-BONANZA!-The-Hats-that-Major-Mike-Moore-Makes&p=1380952&highlight=rough#post1380952

Doc Holliday hat: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?34367-BUCKAROO-BONANZA!-The-Hats-that-Major-Mike-Moore-Makes/page45

John Wayne Cavalry Hat: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?34367-BUCKAROO-BONANZA!-The-Hats-that-Major-Mike-Moore-Makes/page63

Just my $0.02

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Doug and 1961 thanks muchly for the information. I've been to thelastbestwest webbie several dozen times over the last week. That's where I got my first taste of what I really wanted. In that I'm using hat and cap makers from this site I wanted to try here and see if I could keep some of business "in the family" so to speak. '61 your hats are marvelous. I toyed with a full on Western (I love Wayne's "brim up" cavalry hats) but being ex-Army the campaign hats speak to me a little more. I'll contact Major Moore and see what can be done first. Thanks again.

Worf

liten

One of the Regulars
hi any of you out there looking to make up your own campaign hat, like dean has! lots of potential candidates on ebay at the moment, under [vintage cowboy hats ] the right colours heights etc and well priced $20

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know who makes the campaign hats worn by Department of the Interior rangers? I am curious about both the felt and the straw versions. Thanks.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The 1" vents I used came from here, but I spray painted them for a brass look:

https://ventmastersstore.com/shop/open-screen-vents-tab-style-c-23_37.html

You can get a more accurate pair on ebay, but they were 20 some bucks a pair. I just couldn't justify it on this first attempt. I bought the type with the tab holders from the site above.

Cattus is referring to the 1/4" vents I got from here:

http://www.fez-o-rama.com/tassels-and-venting-1-4-venting-c-9_13

This was for the 1883 repro I sent to Rene (Speedster). I have one pair left if anyone wants them. Originally I ordered brass and left them that way and later found out that they should have been 'blackened brass'. I tinted them with a black sharpie for the blackened brass effect (The hats that used them has two rows of brim stitching)

1213120645.jpg

dean

I'm going to give a campaign hat another shot, after finding an excellent candidate on ebay the other day. Dean, I see the 1" brass screened vents going for $22 that you mentioned. I found these, which I think are pretty similar, if not identical. I think they would do perfectly.

https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/4pc-1-inch-shiny-brass-screened-grommets.html

They are $3.99 for four screened grommets.

But more than the cost I was wondering about properly installing them. I have a kit for installing brass grommets, and they require a formed mandrel that holds the grommet steady while you use a setting tool to roll the brass sleeve down against the washer. The setting tool also has a long cone that projects through the grommet and washer to keep everything aligned as you set the grommet. I've never seen a grommet kit larger than 1/2", so I'm not sure how the screened grommets could even be mounted. If you can find a 1" hand setting tool, I'm not sure it would work without punching the screen out of the grommet.

As I think about it, I think if you had the mandrel, it could use it without the setting tool as long as you were very careful and even with your hammmer blows to roll the brass sleeve down against the washer. I think it might be worth it to get this 12 pack for $6.99, and practice 10 times before trying it on my hat!

https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/12pc-1-inch-antique-brass-screened-grommets.html

Last edited:

deanglen

MJ, I'm looking forward to seeing your project! I'm working on finding a 7 5/8 for Worf that will be a suitable candidate for an 1883 like I made for Rene. I have a set of $23.00 1/4" vents off ebay and the trick now is getting the hat body to work from. And the correct 5/8" grosgrain. Great to see there is still interest in these hats! Post a lot of pics!

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou