Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Black 1889 Campaign hat:

T2eC16dw0E9szNFL0BRnLbVNQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqJroFDoq3y0FBRnuIp-g60_57.jpg

T2eC16VzEE9s3YHLBRoQpq60_57.jpg

KGrHqZhFC1CY-T6BRomwNQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqVlcFDyriJVW3BRnGeU60_57.jpg

T2eC16N8E9s4l6cOwBRor6c160_57.jpg

dean

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Original 1889?

Time to bring this great thread back to the top!

I spotted this 1889 campaign hat up on a shelf while touring Fort Davis NHS, outside Davis, Texas. (Home of Limpia Creek Hat Co, BTW.) Can't say for sure that it is original, as Limpia Creek offers an 1883 Campaign hat on their website, and they could have made this one up for the NHS.

P1000832.jpg

Other interesting hat related items displayed on the barracks .

P1000837.jpg

If you are ever in the Big Bend area of Texas, Fort Davis NHS is a must see!

deanglen

Time to bring this great thread back to the top!

I spotted this 1889 campaign hat up on a shelf while touring Fort Davis NHS, outside Davis, Texas. (Home of Limpia Creek Hat Co, BTW.) Can't say for sure that it is original, as Limpia Creek offers an 1883 Campaign hat on their website, and they could have made this one up for the NHS.

P1000832.jpg

Other interesting hat related items displayed on the barracks .

P1000837.jpg

If you are ever in the Big Bend area of Texas, Fort Davis NHS is a must see!

Absolutely heartwarming pictures, Grizz! Looks like a vintage vent on that one on the shelf. Would love to inspect it! The one on the rack looks like a Burgess repro.

dean

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Absolutely heartwarming pictures, Grizz! Looks like a vintage vent on that one on the shelf. Would love to inspect it! The one on the rack looks like a Burgess repro.

dean

Speaking of those vents, where are you getting the large mesh vents your using in your project hats? I might try my hand at doing an 1889.

deanglen

Speaking of those vents, where are you getting the large mesh vents your using in your project hats? I might try my hand at doing an 1889.

The 1" vents I used came from here, but I spray painted them for a brass look:

https://ventmastersstore.com/shop/open-screen-vents-tab-style-c-23_37.html

You can get a more accurate pair on ebay, but they were 20 some bucks a pair. I just couldn't justify it on this first attempt. I bought the type with the tab holders from the site above.

Cattus is referring to the 1/4" vents I got from here:

http://www.fez-o-rama.com/tassels-and-venting-1-4-venting-c-9_13

This was for the 1883 repro I sent to Rene (Speedster). I have one pair left if anyone wants them. Originally I ordered brass and left them that way and later found out that they should have been 'blackened brass'. I tinted them with a black sharpie for the blackened brass effect (The hats that used them has two rows of brim stitching)

1213120645.jpg

dean

McGeezer

Familiar Face
This is a great thread! Since joining this Board I have learned more stuff about hats that I never knew I didn't know.
I am curious though, most of the pics I see in this thread refer to the "campaign" hats with a center dent. I always thought that the "campaign" hat had a montana peak, ala WWI Army and Marines, Marine DI's, State police etc. Most of the hats I have seen portrayed here look like what I thought were called "slouch" hats.
Is that just my error, or a distinction without a difference?

Last edited:

deanglen

This is a great thread! Since joining this Board I have learned more stuff about hats that I never knew I didn't know.
I am curious though, most of the pics I see in this thread refer to the "campaign" hats with a center dent. I always thought that the "campaign" hat had a montana peak, ala WWI Army and Marines, Marine DI's, State police etc. Most of the hats I have seen portrayed here look like what I thought were called "slouch" hats.
Is that just my error, or a distinction without a difference?

McGee, The montana peak was used, here and there informally right along with the "fore-n-aft" crease. The montana peak drained rain water off better than the more common, and I suspect "regulation" straight pinch. By the introduction of the 1911 Campaign Hat, the montana peak must have been standardized, another reason being that the uniform appearence of the hat was valued over individual expression available with creases variously more relaxed or constricted. Note the variations here ina gathering of Span-Am War vets post conflict:

8-3-06S3A.jpg

Montana peaks, early versions and varying in configuration. Officers seem to remain with the fore-n-aft.

8-28-06s17a.jpg

8-28-06s23a.jpg

8-28-06s21a.jpg

9-4-06s11A_edited.jpg

From Wikipedia:
"A few years later, during the Spanish–American War the standard central crease on the crown was again found to be impractical as it tended to hold the rainwater from the frequent tropical downpours. Many soldiers again reshaped the crown to form a pinched "Montana peak." The army officially adopted the peaked design on 8 September 1911 as "1911 Hat, Service, M1911 (Campaign Hat.)"

dean

McGeezer

Familiar Face
Thanks, Deanglen, that explains it. Learn something new every day. Now, if I can find a montana peak "campaign" hat in something other than OD...say tan/pecan I'd buy it.

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know when, or why, the hat device (crossed sabers/rifles) went from the side of the hat to the front?

I've seen photos from the civil war with them on the front, then some from the Spanish American war era with them on the side, then back to front. Any idea why? Was it a service branch thing? An individual unit thing?

deanglen

Does anyone know when, or why, the hat device (crossed sabers/rifles) went from the side of the hat to the front?

I've seen photos from the civil war with them on the front, then some from the Spanish American war era with them on the side, then back to front. Any idea why? Was it a service branch thing? An individual unit thing?

Cattus,

I know you asked this once before...and I simply can't find it mentioned anywhere. I am searching for the answer.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner