Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1883 Original Campaign hat

I used to use this for my avatar, it's an original 1883 Campaign hat with artillery hat cord and I just thought I'd post this shot as an offshoot of the other thread I started. I do intend to get into regular fedoras, so thanks for patiently bearing all this campaign hat stuff! I like the campaign hats because they have aspects of western and fedora wear and the history attached to them, they represent an era in America that had a lot to say for it, to me.
1145197099100_1889hat.jpg

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Don't apologize. They're interesting threads - to me at least!

What are the specs on that hat? Brim width, open crown height, ribbon width, etc.
I assume such a hat wasn't lined. Was it a fur blend?

Joel

deanglen

Here are a few more shots
ST-1234c.jpg
7c_3.jpg

I would guess that the open crown measurement, at least 6 inches, the brims varied between 2.75 inches and 3.00, and the grosgrain ribbon was primarily 5/8", though apparently officers would choose private purchase items with thinner ribbon and bound edges.

Thanks for the interest!
Dean

deanglen

John,
Thank you for your shots! I have never seen the original black cavalry hats! Beautiful! Is there a name for that bow style? Love the snowflake vent! How did they put those vents in? Was it a template to puncture through, or some kind of spiked device in the snowflake shape? Was the felt rigid or soft? And do you know the quality of felt used? Love your site and the hats you offer! Another shot! )I'd love it if famous country artists would start wearing these styled hats instead of all the more common western hats. What do you think?
dsp_thomas3.jpg

deanglen

Lieutenant,

Thank you for your encouragement! Semper Fi! I've got some good shots of Marines in the Phillipines c.1900 with their campaign hats. Tough lookin dudes, for sure!

dean

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Absolutely

I'm following the campaign hat information closely - excellent stuff. You don't run much chance of boring anyone here if there's something new to be learned.
I like what you've shown us because I personally tend to feel silly in a "cowboy hat," but these seem to be a nice, masculine compromise between a western hat and a dressier fedora.
Besides, they pass that all-important test - uniqueness! You're not likely to run into some other fellow wearing the same hat.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
We do have a love of history around here. The fedora had to evolve from something and it was probable this campaign hat and other cowboy hats. That lid is in excellent condition for its age. How does the interior look? Is the sweatband still intact?
One thing I would like to know is where to find a good reproduction of this lid. I presume that this is the same campaign hat that the Rough Riders had worn.

Cheers!

Dan

deanglen

More views
ST-1233c.jpg

0o0o0o0.jpg

My guess is that mthatter could easily produce one. One guy who used to sell a repro was an F. Burgess, but he went out of business, and his hats only had two rows of stitching, not the reulation three. I would consider purchasing one from him if he would do it! How about it, John? the Dirty Billy offerings look strange when it comes to the ribbon and bows, not exactly like the photos I've seen.

mikepara

Practically Family
Campaign hats are great.

There are few military hats that look poor. Especially when worn in. I've seen all sorts but I must admit, the ones I like are the older the better.

Being non American I've had little contact with genuine U.S Cavalry or Civil War Kepi's / hats so post away.

A while ago I scoured the net looking for pics of Major Allan Wilson and the Shangani Patrol from British South Africa [Rhodesia] best I could get...

Shangani-memorial-panel-rho.jpg

DOUGLAS

Please keep them photos comin.This is great stuff. I have tried to get in touch with Dirty Billys however it iwas a bit difficultand was unable to make the connection. I want to get one of those nutria hats.

deanglen

The Aussies have a real appreciation for campaign hats, and some I've seen look very similar to the boys of '98! I added some shots to the "Note the crease in this campaign hat" thread. I've tried not to post the same picture in both threads. I'll add some more tomorrow when I get to work, where most of them are stored on my computer. I got most of the shots off e-bay offerings of 3-D stereopticon cards, and since the copyright lapsed I think I'm pretty safe from infringement issues[
RoughRiders.jpg

This one is too famous to pass up, and well known to all, plus the variety on display is priceless.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
There are as many varieties of hat shapes as there are in the faces of the men. I suppose there wasn't a regulation on the hat crease until they came up with the Montana pinch variety.

Cheers!

Dan

deanglen

I remember reading somewhere that the "fore-and-aft" crease was regulation, but I love the fact that they were allowed such variations, a very American mind-set toward uniformity, a balance of the tension in group vs. individual.

squid

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
I remember reading somewhere that the "fore-and-aft" crease was regulation, but I love the fact that they were allowed such variations, a very American mind-set toward uniformity, a balance of the tension in group vs. individual.

I was thinking that that much individualism would not be tolerated in today's military. But look at the white hat of ten defferent sailors, and you will see at least five different styles of shaping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko