Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Machine Gun Infantry and Motor Transport Corp

Attachments

• MG Infantry.jpg
    MG Infantry.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 198
  • MG infantry1.jpg
    MG infantry1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 199
  • motor transport.jpg
    motor transport.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 247
  • motor transport1.jpg
    motor transport1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 192
  • motor transport2.jpg
    motor transport2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 189

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Quartermaster and Signal Corp

Attachments

• quartermaste1r.jpg
    quartermaste1r.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 203
  • quartermaster.jpg
    quartermaster.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 185
  • signal corp.jpg
    signal corp.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 178
  • signal corp1.jpg
    signal corp1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 178

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Most have readable date/Depot stamps under the sweat band,although I don't like moving or bending the bands too much in fear of breaking threads. Some also have hatters stamps. They are all WW1 or earlier though.
The oldest is the Infantry hat (1915) and then there is the Chemical, Engineer and Signal Corp (1917) that I remember.
As you may already know,after WW1 the cords were one color and then the acorns another (the exception to that was WW1 cords for Machine gun units, MG Infantry or MG Cavalry tha had teh branch color cord but then had red acorns) and hat stitching started to lose stiching on the brim. I believe msot went with a 2 line stitched brim.
Ron

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Sweet. Please don't bend/break anything.

There is a soft spot in my heart for campaign hats. I have a Stratton that I wear around every now and again. I'd love to get a "real" one.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Some people were wondering if Stetson still makes the Drill hats for the Army and Marine Corps. Here is a picuture that Matt Deckard posted today
10175944_10152661054348811_7147049164978548278_n.jpg

Ten-Hut! STETSON drill Sargent campaign hats waiting to get their vents and chin straps. #drillseargent #drillinstructor #campaignhat #usarmy #usmarines #smokeybear @stetsonusa #stetson #stetsonusa
So it looks like that question is answered.

Jeff

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Several days ago, I asked a question Adventurer’s Gear Thread about a pair of leggings that my grandfather was wearing in a picture of him taken during his Army service in the Philippine Insurrection. I got some good information and was directed to a couple websites where I might find reproductions of the leggings. I started doing some searching here on the Fedora Lounge and came on a couple good threads that provided me with good information and also lead me in the direction of the Spanish American War era hat.

Thinking about that old photo of my granddad, and looking through this thread, got me to remembering I had bought a reproduction “Spanish American War hat” many years ago. When I say many, I mean many. It was in the early 1970s when I got the hat. I used to wear that hat a lot, mostly when on hiking, camping, and hunting trips back in my younger days. I remembered I still had that old hat stored away in the attic, so I started looking. After much digging I found the hat, brushed off about 30 years of dust, spider webs, and who knows what all else, and put it back on my head. Here it is in all its well-used glory. I just might bring it back into service as my “outdoor” hat.

And the old photo of my granddad, Will Brown, Sr. (1877-1932), that got it all started. This old photo was probably the most influential thing that got me started as a life-long hat wearer way back when I was just a kid. I used to look at it this old photo in my grandmother’s old photo album and dream about what it would be like to wear a hat like my granddad had so many, many years ago.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got to digging around in some old pictures and found this one of me and my two sons taken well over 30 years ago. I'd had that old Spanish American War campaign hat close to 10 years when the photo was made. Here's a "side-by-side" photo of me and the hat - 30 some years apart. The hat's not too much worse for the wear. I can't say as much for me. :)

Thanks to this thread, I got interested in digging out this old hat and, by doing so, brought back many really good memories.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Several days ago, I asked a question Adventurer’s Gear Thread about a pair of leggings that my grandfather was wearing in a picture of him taken during his Army service in the Philippine Insurrection. I got some good information and was directed to a couple websites where I might find reproductions of the leggings. I started doing some searching here on the Fedora Lounge and came on a couple good threads that provided me with good information and also lead me in the direction of the Spanish American War era hat.

Thinking about that old photo of my granddad, and looking through this thread, got me to remembering I had bought a reproduction “Spanish American War hat” many years ago. When I say many, I mean many. It was in the early 1970s when I got the hat. I used to wear that hat a lot, mostly when on hiking, camping, and hunting trips back in my younger days. I remembered I still had that old hat stored away in the attic, so I started looking. After much digging I found the hat, brushed off about 30 years of dust, spider webs, and who knows what all else, and put it back on my head. Here it is in all its well-used glory. I just might bring it back into service as my “outdoor” hat.

And the old photo of my granddad, Will Brown, Sr. (1877-1932), that got it all started. This old photo was probably the most influential thing that got me started as a life-long hat wearer way back when I was just a kid. I used to look at it this old photo in my grandmother’s old photo album and dream about what it would be like to wear a hat like my granddad had so many, many years ago.

Thanks for posting this. Love the photos.

KELORGO

New in Town
Does anybody know exactly what campaign hat cord is on alanfgag's Stetson in post #516 of this thread? Is there anywhere where this exact cord can be purchased?

The hat/cord are currently on page 52.

Thanks!
Kelorgo

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
It is an officer cord , field grade or company can't remember which one though. One had the net over the acorn top and the other did not. Mine is teh one without the net. Ron

Attachments

• officer1.jpg
    officer1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 190

ingineer

One Too Many
Does anybody know exactly what campaign hat cord is on alanfgag's Stetson in post #516 of this thread? Is there anywhere where this exact cord can be purchased?

The hat/cord are currently on page 52.

Thanks!
Kelorgo
Don't think you will ever get exact unless you travel back in time,
but suggest you order from WPG
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopdisp...xact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=
i have several cords but the blue one from them is the only one worthwhile IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24