Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now looking for a MacLachlan 50 or 100

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my devil's advocate moment for the day, Max:

For the amount of $$ you seem willing to shell out I think you'll find that hats made prior to 1940 are of significantly higher quality than all of these "fifty" and "100" hats from the 50's and 60s.

There, I said it. ;)

I don’t have any hats made prior to the 1940s so what do I know? But this is the internet so I can pretend to know what I’m talking about. ;)

It is nice to have so many of the same quality range hats (50s and 100s) from the different makers in one person’s hands who can compare and contrast them, and I’m anxiously waiting for such a review. That said, I remember Alan writing that the 100 wasn’t a better hat than the 50, it was just made later and the price increase was a product of inflation rather than quality. That was a light bulb moment for me.

It’s also been my casual observation that the pre-1940s hat have nice tall crowns but the brims are shorter than I’d prefer.

Heck, I didn’t even know Mac Lachlan made a 50 or a 100 so I’m obviously not the guy whose opinion should carry much weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I don’t have any hats made prior to the 1940s so what do I know? But this is the internet so I can pretend to know what I’m talking about. ;)

It is nice to have so many of the same quality range hats (50s and 100s) from the different makers in one person’s hands who can compare and contrast them, and I’m anxiously waiting for such a review. That said, I remember Alan writing that the 100 wasn’t a better hat than the 50, it was just made later and the price increase was a product of inflation rather than quality. That was a light bulb moment for me.

It’s also been my casual observation that the pre-1940s hat have nice tall crowns but the brims are shorter than I’d prefer.

Heck, I didn’t even know Mac Lachlan made a 50 or a 100 so I’m obviously not the guy whose opinion should carry much weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I didn't know either, until Charlie told me.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Here's my devil's advocate moment for the day, Max:

For the amount of $$ you seem willing to shell out I think you'll find that hats made prior to 1940 are of significantly higher quality than all of these "fifty" and "100" hats from the 50's and 60s.

There, I said it. ;)
I have several pre-1940s hats. Some I acquired from Moon, some from eBay, some from Etsy, and some from other Loungers.

My best hats, with the best felt, in my opinion, are my 1950's Dobbs.

I have a Dobbs 50, a Dobbs 100, a couple of Stetson 100s, and a Churchill 50 here in Mexico City.

The Dobbs 100 is better than the 50, the 50 is better than the Stetson 100s, and the Stetson 100s are better than the Churchill 50.

I have another Dobbs 100 already in my brother-in-law's in Texas, as well as a Churchill 100 and a Cavanagh 50.

On the way to Texas is a Knox 100 I just acquired, that used to be Alan's, and I want to compare it to a couple Knox 40s I already own.

I have an excellent MacLachlan I would like to compare to a ML 50 and a ML100.

I would like to have 50s and 100s of several brands to compare between them.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I certainly agree that pre-40s hats can be better, but in building a collection it’s nice to have a broad selection.

To be specific in agreement, my favorite Stetsons: the early 1910-20 3X and Stetson Special I got from Justin. My “least favorite”: later 50s 100s and early 60s 7Xs. They might even be called disappointing.

Even given that opinion, I wouldn’t feel like much of a collector if I didn’t have some of both pools and decades. The Doc’s collection is VAST and it would not be complete without some of these later $$ hats.

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I certainly agree that pre-40s hats can be better, but in building a collection it’s nice to have a broad selection.

To be specific in agreement, my favorite Stetsons: the early 1910-20 3X and Stetson Special I got from Justin. My “least favorite”: later 50s 100s and early 60s 7Xs. They might even be called disappointing.

Even given that opinion, I wouldn’t feel like much of a collector if I didn’t have some of both pools and decades. The Doc’s collection is VAST and it would not be complete without some of these later $$ hats.
Thank you, Danielito (Daniel could be pronounced or thought of in Spanish or English, but I always think of your name in Spanish).

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have several pre-1940s hats. Some I acquired from Moon, some from eBay, some from Etsy, and some from other Loungers.

My best hats, with the best felt, in my opinion, are my 1950's Dobbs.

I have a Dobbs 50, a Dobbs 100, a couple of Stetson 100s, and a Churchill 50 here in Mexico City.

The Dobbs 100 is better than the 50, the 50 is better than the Stetson 100s, and the Stetson 100s are better than the Churchill 50.

I have another Dobbs 100 already in my brother-in-law's in Texas, as well as a Churchill 100 and a Cavanagh 50.

On the way to Texas is a Knox 100 I just acquired, that used to be Alan's, and I want to compare it to a couple Knox 40s I already own.

I have an excellent MacLachlan I would like to compare to a ML 50 and a ML100.

I would like to have 50s and 100s of several brands to compare between them.

Hey boys. This next load is “the one” we been waiting on. Time for diversion plan Alpha.
Six out.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I am curious and I always try to understand the American headwear.
I would like to know what MacLachlan 50 and 100 means and if possible to see an image or more.
Max your research is directed towards a specific model and often I can not get myself involved
Thanks

I am curious and I always try to understand the American headwear.
I would like to know what MacLachlan 50 and 100 means and if possible to see an image or more.
Max your research is directed towards a specific model and often I can not get myself involved
Thanks
Daniele,

50 or 100 refers to the price point. So the hat would have retailed for $50 or $100. While it's a measure of quality, as you know quality also depends on other factors, such as year of manufacture, etc.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Here’s a proof of life past...1948

https://www.periodpaper.com/product...r-fifty-fashion-irwin-smith-art-033396-ny8-45

B6572523-048E-459E-9F6E-F9EE6F868776.jpeg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I have a tan Maclachlan with the air-vac leather head band like mentioned in the ad. It also has a wind trolley and overwelt brim like the one pictured. I'd have to check if it mentions 50 or 100. Beautiful hat and lovely felt.
Great! Is Gamez your last name?
PM sent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points