Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nuances of WWII HBT pants??

Doug C

Practically Family
Do either the Army's '42 pattern HBT pants or the USMC's '43 pattern HBT pants have a draw-string at the bottom of the legs for tightening at the ankles... I thought they did but can't really tell from the pictures.

Doug C

I had a pair of cargo shorts from Express, of all places, in this exact fabric. They died last summer, man they were my favourite shorts ever.

DSCN3653.jpg

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
"Cargo Shorts" indeed...(Stephen Fry speaking)
You're slipping Baron...

I congratulate you on their death.

It wouldn't have been this exact fabric, this exact fabric is long extinct.
They just do not make it like this anymore.
You'd maybe have to see it in the flesh and touch it to know.

Honest.

B
T

honest guv, Express had found a bolt of WWII fabric and cobbled a pair of shorts together for me . . . likely? mefinks nahht

More a last remnant of a past self than a slippage. Couldn'ta got through summer without them. Cargo shorts or spandex . . . my choice is made, though i do look damn good in spandex.

bk

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
This is my first post! It's funny I should happen upon this thread, because ironically, I just found a pair of reversible 1st camo pattern HBT's at a thrift store here in Santa Barbara. I thought maybe everyone might enjoy seeing them. The condition is fantastic (if they're authentic and not a re-enactor thing) -- like they've been warehoused for 65 years. Enjoy!

greenside1.jpg

greenside2.jpg

tanside1.jpg

internalcrotch.jpg

drawstring.jpg

button.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
Welcome Eniksleestack (I loved Land of the Lost) - So you found those at a thrift store? Wow, cool find. Probably paid next to nothing too huh?

Doug C

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
I scored a pair of WW2 US Mountain trousers, NOS in a large size, in a rag shop in London. Strange.

B
T

"Rag Shop"? Is that the British equivalent of an American thrift store?

How are the European thrift stores? I's sure that US thrift stores, especially in metropolitan areas, are so great b/c Americans are the world's champions at conspicuous consumption.:eek:

I'm going on my honeymoon later this summer, taking my first ever trip to England and France. I might like to check out the second-hand shopping opportunities.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Slim pickings in "vintage" in England.
Thrift shops are mostly full of absolute junk but you can't help looking.
The Thrift shops in "posh" areas of London have designer clothing and good shoes though.
"Rag Shop" is an American expression- I thought, for a thrift shop.

B
T

I was under the impression that "rag shop" was the name for those industrial-scale used clothing warehouses where dealers find their stuff. They typically have high minimum spends and this keeps the punters away. it would not be possible to go in there and buy a pair of trousers.

The stuff that doesn't get sold gets, well, ragged. Ripped up into rags.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rag Market

BellyTank said:
"Rag Shop" is an American expression- I thought, for a thrift shop.

B
T

In Birmingham we have the Rag Market - pre-war a whole covered market was given over to second hand clothes. Not any more, but there are still a few good vintage stalls.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I saw those.
I had a pair of those too.

They are a direct copy of civilian ski-pants.
No suspenders necessary.

I recently found this pair of vintage, military mountain/climbing/alpine trousers:

dc4a_3.jpg

dedf_3.jpg

e3fb_3.jpg

Strange.
German/European styled, in British Army green denim, with War Dept. stamp.
But very Northern European.
Nice too.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart