Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Nuther Depp Hat Story

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
091706_ss_WelcomeOurNew.jpg

thunderw21 said:
I for one welcome our new fedora-wearing movie star overlord.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
woodsie said:
Hey Colby,
Will you give me your newly acquired vintage Whippet with the thin ribbon? Please autograph it with a medium point black Sharpie, and include a bushel of oranges from your wonderful Sunshine State, Priority Mail. If you don't my momma will be sure to e-mail you, and you don't wanna get my momma angry.
Best Wishes,
Woods:p
Why of course little boy...You have your people (mommy) get in touch with my people (shoot an email to my agent)...and we'll see what we can do...and replicas will be on their way!:D ...Now I'm going back to cleaning my guns...:p

Mr. Lucky said:
Off topic? Not quite. You ARE demeaning the entire act by your need for qualification and utter presumption. First and foremost, how do you know what SHE did? Are you assuming that she Googled and found an email for his production company or is this a statement of fact? I found no such reference in the story. In fact, after searching IMDBPro, which I pay for, and finding only a link to his company's one page website, I still have no access to an email. Now, do you know the text of presumptive email? Was the tone that of 'begging?' If so, would you care to share the exact content? Obviously, you know NOTHING of these people, yet you are so quick to condemn! Yes, I know very little too, but at least I am refraining from going negative instantaneously and am willing to give the mother and son the benefit of the doubt, without qualification, in the hopes that it was simply an impulsive action by a child that resulted in a selfless act of kindness that brought joy to all concerned. Why does it have to be anything else?

I'm not weighing into the debate but:

The Article said:
Taylor's mother, who was borderline embarrassed by her blunt 12-year-old's remark, never believed that Depp meant it when he said, "As soon as I am done with it, it's yours."

"Jack went around telling all of his friends that he was getting Johnny Depp's hat," Brand said. As she reminded Taylor not to get his hopes up, Brand did what any mother would -- she tried to make his wish come true.

On April 23, she e-mailed Depp's production company and told them the story of what happened. After almost losing hope, Brand received an e-mail back, asking for Taylor's address, nearly three weeks later. "I figured we'd get an autographed picture or something," Brand said.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm not weighing into the debate but:
That's what I was saying. And that kinda' reinforces my point: the email MIGHT have been given to her. There is no record, that I can find, of an available, public email! And I highly doubt that his agent would give that out - it's not his site or in his IMDBPro record for a reason. So maybe, just maybe the email was given -by an assistant or someone at the event- to her in order to make it happen.

Sure, now I'm the one making the assumptions. But they are assumptions made on both experience in this business, and out of the hope that, as I have stated before on this thread, that it was simply a lovely story, all around.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Depp is obviously a fedora aficionado and I would be surprised if never stumbled across this site.
Imagine the look on his face after reading this thread.. :rolleyes:

Feraud,

I posted with a hidden agenda...:eek: in the hope of getting the favourite silverbelly hat off Johnny's head writing such nice things about him...;) but since it came out later that Depp is a multiple personality and revealed himself in soo many forms [huh] I did not knew whom I should address...
I decided earlier to get a similar variation of that silverbelly beauty from Art - that should work out better.

Anyhow the silverbelly signature fedora of Johnny has been definitely an inspiration for my last order.
Some other sources of inspiration were>
http://www.anderszorn.info/portraits/tof215.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Joaquín_Sorolla_004.jpg
Silverbelly hat - it seems to be a really timeless classic!

Cheers

Tom

univibe88

One Too Many
I think that was really nice of Mr Depp.

I do feel the need to criticize the article itself. It starts off trying to make a point about how unfortunately most news is about the awful things celebrities are doing. That is a good point to make, but then it spends four paragraphs giving us specific names and recent scandles. Great, so you just gave these people more press and attention for the actions you were trying to condemn. Good job.

Secondly, I don't like how it ends by quoting the family as being "1000% positive" that it's not the same hat and that it is tattered. Now, there is another angle to attack the family about that remark, but that is besides my point. I think it was irresponsible of the author of the article to even bring it up.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Something is wrong with the tattered comment - the pic we see is not a tattered hat, unless the back side of the hat is tattered. Sounds like somebody that really is not so familiar with vintage hats as the rest of us - a tattered hat to us means visibly mishapen with trauma to the felt and/or trimmings, and the hat on that kid's head does not fit that description.

MAB1

Suspended
Boy... you people just read too much into stuff.

It was a nice gesture to a lil fan. Clap your hands together and be done with it.:)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Live And Let Live

I, for one, have just never been inclined to seek autographs although I have had many opportunities with many celebrities over the years. Someone's signature is just of no interest to me and even if I really admire an artist's work, they are just people to me, no more.

However, it is also not in my nature to try to judge, correct or change others who do seek such mementos - whether for fun or profit.

To each his/her own and it's up to the celebrity to agree or demure when something is requested of them. Not really my business, y'know?

G

woodsie

Banned
Original Assessment

Ah, what joy in seeing such a lively and stirring debate come to a seeming close, with mostly informed opinions on both sides. I still stand by my original assessment as to the boy and his mommy, and the preponderance of evidence seems overwhelming. Short of hiring a private detective(As one fine FL member seems inclined to do) to get to the issue of how she came into possession of the production company's email, the matter is settled, and reasonable folks may differ ever so slightly. Finally, please don't utter that you're "Non-judgmental", whilst criticizing others' judgment. It is the height of literal and figurative folly.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
-- Herbert Spencer

'Nuff out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy