Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I must confess that I'm finding it difficult to go to the gym after work. Since joining I've only been a shameful 3 times! Once I'm there I do actually enjoy it but I'm finding the motivation to go when I'm tired (i.e. all of the time) very difficult. After an hour tube journey I have to catch a bus to get to the gym, I think if it was more local I wouldn't have this problem but the one nearer me is much more expensive. Luckily it's not a contract and I pay monthly so can leave at any time, perhaps a home programme would be better. Any help ladies? I can't be the only one who struggles to get to the gym 3 times a week!

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I think it is so much easier to go in the morning. I recently dumped my gym membership, I was paying way too much and I prefer to run. And outside is free!

Morning workouts are hard at first, but a lot easier than talking myself into it after work. And it becomes a habit after a while. Good luck!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I agree, though the most gyming I ever did was when our student house boiler broke, so the only place to geta hot shower was at the gym! So I did a workout every morning for about a week!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I get up at 6.15 so it wouldn't be possible for me to go in the morning! I just need to force myself to go after work somehow :p

Zig2k143

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
ok, so i need some suggestions. what i'm asking for may not be in existence though!

i am looking for some sort of physical activity to tone my arms and abdomen, while not taking much energy from my legs. i bike a lot and walk constantly, so my legs and feet are usually too tired to do much more than transport me places. my arms, back, and tumm are another story altogether! i don't belong to a gym, and wouldn't go even if i did so that's out.

suggestions beyond "do 1000 crunches a day"??

Kayaking is great excerise for toning arms and abdomen and uses no leg muscles... If aren't around a lake or river... Buy a rowing machine...

Here are some others.

Batting Cages, Driving Range, Archery, Even just dumbells and crunches... What do you enjoy doing is the question. You will not continue to do anything if you don't enjoy it.

Barry

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
You will not continue to do anything if you don't enjoy it.

So true...

I bought a spinning bike. In addition to working out in a gym I spin 3x a week to the "fitness series" set of videos called Spinervals. The competition series videos are designed for triathletes. I use a heart rate monitor and try to keep focused. The hardest part for me was changing my eating and drinking habits. Once I changed those it was a lot easier to spin in the mornings or evenings. Instead of going out to eat all the time I cook at home. I drink beer and wine occasionally but not all that often. So far I'm down 30 pounds and I have 10-15 to go until I reach my goal weight. My body fat % has dropped dramatically.

Barry

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Barry said:
So true...

I bought a spinning bike. In addition to working out in a gym I spin 3x a week to the "fitness series" set of videos called Spinervals. The competition series videos are designed for triathletes. I use a heart rate monitor and try to keep focused. The hardest part for me was changing my eating and drinking habits. Once I changed those it was a lot easier to spin in the mornings or evenings. Instead of going out to eat all the time I cook at home. I drink beer and wine occasionally but not all that often. So far I'm down 30 pounds and I have 10-15 to go until I reach my goal weight. My body fat % has dropped dramatically.

Barry

Great going Barry!!!!

I'm about 60 pounds from my goal weight.. I've dropped 145 pounds...

Barry

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
Great going Barry!!!!

I'm about 60 pounds from my goal weight.. I've dropped 145 pounds...

That's amazing! Congrats! It sure feels good, doesn't it? I feel so much better having lost all that weight. Once I started to crack some of my old bad eating habits it started to get easier but that took a long time to do. I really don't have the urge to pick up bad food or beverages in the grocery store anymore and that's a good feeling too.

Barry

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Barry said:
That's amazing! Congrats! It sure feels good, doesn't it? I feel so much better having lost all that weight. Once I started to crack some of my old bad eating habits it started to get easier but that took a long time to do. I really don't have the urge to pick up bad food or beverages in the grocery store anymore and that's a good feeling too.

Barry

I took like 6 weeks off or I'd be doing better but after a year and a half I needed it. www.afitspot.com if you want to check out my story.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My story

Up until about six months ago, I was a Body-for-Lifer. Then I was in a car wreck that sprained my neck and back and gave me TMJ problems, so I couldn't lift weights. A few months later, I contracted an acute infection of H. pylori, the bacteria that causes ulcers. Without going into unpleasant gastrointestinal detail, I had to stop eating fruits and vegetables and start eating stuff made with white flour. I felt like a Ford with 70,000 miles on it.

I was finally able to get back on Body-for-Life this week--and what a difference! My pants are already a little looser (that white flour puts on the weight) and I'm not sluggish during midafternoon (another side effect of those doughnuts and muffins). I already feel like my old self again.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Up until about six months ago, I was a Body-for-Lifer. Then I was in a car wreck that sprained my neck and back and gave me TMJ problems, so I couldn't lift weights. A few months later, I contracted an acute infection of H. pylori, the bacteria that causes ulcers. Without going into unpleasant gastrointestinal detail, I had to stop eating fruits and vegetables and start eating stuff made with white flour. I felt like a Ford with 70,000 miles on it.

I was finally able to get back on Body-for-Life this week--and what a difference! My pants are already a little looser (that white flour puts on the weight) and I'm not sluggish during midafternoon (another side effect of those doughnuts and muffins). I already feel like my old self again.

Isn't it a great feeling to be back into it.. Keep up the good work.... I'm sure you will get ride of more of the bloat in the next week or so.. It's funny how you get back into it the body just gives up all the water it's holding on to.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself as well.

And it's not just the water...that white flour can give you lots of gas!

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself as well.

And it's not just the water...that white flour can give you lots of gas!

Lol yea... when I eat unhealthy you can say I get more gas then when I'm eating heart healthy.... I feel so much better when I eat right its a wonder why I eat bad at all I don't know. It must be an addiction. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I took like 6 weeks off or I'd be doing better but after a year and a half I needed it. www.afitspot.com if you want to check out my story.

Amazing Zig!! Congrats, I'm so happy for you. You look awesome, and you're so handsome! Great site, keep up the hard work! You WILL lose the rest!

I've lost almost 80 pounds now and we're getting ready to go out to eat Chinese. I haven't had it in over six months or so. The thing is to just start eating normally again right after! ;)
I *realllllly* need to excercise tho!

Nikki
(my before's and afters again here, http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343348698
I've lost over 60lbs twice)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I just got my gym membership and I love it!

The lat machine totally wrecks me, but I think I should speed up my weight-loss progress a lot now.

And I had to buy new workout clothes, and was able to get things in size 8, so that felt good. Not a bad place to start, I figure.

-Viola

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I'm not really a fan of exercising, although i admit it does make me feel better. I've started (trying) to walk my dog everyday for 30 minutes to an hour. He's the best exercise buddy, much more motivation to walk than if I went by myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot