Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
alexandra said:
Sometimes I can't stop thinking "there's chocolate in the kitchen" over and over and over and I can't think of anything else until I eat it.

I suggest not keeping chocolate in the house, or any other fattening food that you can't resist. Keep healthy, good-tasting food around and ready to eat.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I suggest not keeping chocolate in the house, or any other fattening food that you can't resist. Keep healthy, good-tasting food around and ready to eat.

unfortunately some of us live with relatives, roommates, or partners who are total enablers. someone ALWAYS has something junky in my house, and is willing to share at the drop of a hat. still, it's not nearly as bad as when i lived with my ex-girlfriend -- she worked at trader joes and brought me stuff home whether i asked her to or not!! :rage:

alexandra

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
unfortunately some of us live with relatives, roommates, or partners who are total enablers. someone ALWAYS has something junky in my house, and is willing to share at the drop of a hat. still, it's not nearly as bad as when i lived with my ex-girlfriend -- she worked at trader joes and brought me stuff home whether i asked her to or not!! :rage:

Exactly. I'm not about to tell the people I live with that they're not allowed to buy food because I'm fat.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Understood--I have the same problem when I visit my parents. But I have told them to please not buy any cookies or caramel corn or chips for me.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I find I am very strong willed in the grocery store. I stick to my list. However, if my husband brings home a box of doughnuts I just can't resist them ;) I have another method I've been working on for awhile and it's been going pretty good, if I want cookies or cake I will bake them from scratch instead of buying them. That way I have to work for them! I cut the recipe in half too because then I won't have to look at them for days. My children don't seem to mind, they really haven't complained about the lack of twinkies and oreos and they like to help me in the kitchen.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
VBSO update...

well ladies, it's been almost a week since i started my drastic sugar cut-back and i feel GREAT. i've been eating healthier snacks and pretty normal meals, have been cooking for myself more, and since i've had so little coffee (i'm a mocha girl, which are definitely on my "forbidden" list) i'm beginning to be able to function without caffeine again! i haven't been hungry at all, and my sugar cravings are going away. i've dropped 5 pounds so far! that's a fourth of my goal (lose 20 pounds)! i'm sure it's mostly water weight, but man does it feel good!! best of all, i am SO PROUD of myself every time i have the urge to go get a mocha and a sweet while i'm out running errands or at school -- and don't do it!

the diary-keeping has been insanely helpful. i carry the journal with me and record stuff as i go along. i list =everything= going into my mouth, which helps me to not graze endlessly on stuff. reflecting on my eating habits is really helping me make changes since i'm more apt to remember things if i write them down. i recommend it to ANYONE trying to change the way they eat :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
well ladies, it's been almost a week since i started my drastic sugar cut-back and i feel GREAT. i've been eating healthier snacks and pretty normal meals, have been cooking for myself more, and since i've had so little coffee (i'm a mocha girl, which are definitely on my "forbidden" list) i'm beginning to be able to function without caffeine again! i haven't been hungry at all, and my sugar cravings are going away. i've dropped 5 pounds so far! that's a fourth of my goal (lose 20 pounds)! i'm sure it's mostly water weight, but man does it feel good!! best of all, i am SO PROUD of myself every time i have the urge to go get a mocha and a sweet while i'm out running errands or at school -- and don't do it!

the diary-keeping has been insanely helpful. i carry the journal with me and record stuff as i go along. i list =everything= going into my mouth, which helps me to not graze endlessly on stuff. reflecting on my eating habits is really helping me make changes since i'm more apt to remember things if i write them down. i recommend it to ANYONE trying to change the way they eat :)

:eusa_clap

I've found that when I don't eat high-carb, sugary foods in the morning, I don't get that mid-afternoon crash. And congratulations on kicking the caffeine habit. That's hard to do.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just wanted to share with ya'll the progress my mom and I have made. We've been doing Weight Watchers, and we joined at the end of July last year.

Here is a picture from last year, Memorial Day, and then one from this year. Both are taken at the Bonnie and Clyde festival. It's been so gradual, I think we were both surprised at the difference. We are both about half way to our goal. So maybe next Memorial day we'll be at goal :)

Before:
momme07.jpg

After:
momme.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Well done you two! What a difference!!!

I have been 'going it alone' and not weighing myself but going on inches lost. What I find disheartening is that I have some 'friends' who won't acknowledge my weight loss at all. I'm not imagining the inches! But they seem quite happy to keep me as 'the fat jolly one'
It really annoys me!

They all seemed quite put out when a friend I'd not seen in ages came over at a show and said 'gosh you look trim!' noone agreed or said anything supportive. They are all naturally slim/superskinny and I'm starting to feel disheartened.

Any words of encouragement?:(

The Shirt

Practically Family
Kitty - you're gorgeous. Poo on them for not being supportive. Sometimes people don't like it when the dynamic or the attention goes to anyone but themselves. They are probably aware of your losses but may have trouble adjusting to the role change from 'the jolly one' to the 'smokin' one'. :) It's not your job to make them feel more secure about themselves. Just keep doing what you are doing. Especially if it's making you feel better.

I just started WW and am very inspired by you Texasgirl. It's the one program that works for me - I just never have figured out that "lifestyle" bit. Maybe this time!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Kitty, they are probably just jealous. Like Shirt said, they are having to rethink where you fit in. I don't really have many girlfriends so I can't say from my experience. I do know no one I work with has said a word, but I think it's been so gradual. But people I haven't seen in awhile do notice.

I think one of the hardest things about weight loss is remembering you are doing it for yourself. You can't do it for anyone else's approval.

Shirt, good luck to you! You know, I've always had a hard time with the lifestyle change part too. But this time it really is different. For one, I am losing it slow. It's been about 10 months, 23 pounds. I refuse to not allow myself treats. One thing my leader says which I try to follow. There are 21 meals a week. So you have something extra for 2 of those? You still have 19 meals to do better.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
well ladies, i haven't been doing NEARLY as well as i should with the not eating sugar thing, BUT i've been so busy and have been biking so much that i've slimmed down a bit! i actually wore a dress the other day that hasn't fit in EIGHT YEARS. EIGHT!!! i'm super-excited! and now since i've seen some results, i actually have more motivation to eat healthier! :D

congrats to everyone who is making healthy choices in their life.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Texasgirl - you look great!! I am always impressed with anyone who makes the commitment to truly make a change in their life! All of you ladies who are working at being more healthy - I say good show and I give my encouragement!

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Kitty, don't get disheartened, you have to remember who you're doing this for, you. I had a friend actually tell me not to lose too much weight because I wouldn't be as fun if I did. This was right when I started WW, it's been a year, and I've fallen off the wagon a little, but I'm back on now. I think it's just that people put you in this box that you're supposed to stay in whether you want to or not, and when you change what "kind" of friend you are (the chubby one, the eating friend, the work out buddy, etc) it makes people uncomfortable. But it's also hard with friends that have never struggled with weight, take it with a grain of salt, and realize how smokin' beautiful you are.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
A couple other suggestions I'd like to make, one via my WW leader and one I've found works for me. At every meal you eat there is a point where you sigh, it's just a natural thing, if you stop eating at that point, you'll find that you're satisfied, but not overly full. Keeps me from over eating. The other one is wear a girdle, I started wearing one because my back gets really tired due to my ample bosom. I noticed, however, that when I do, I don't seem to be as hungry, as in it gives me a full feeling when everything is sucked in. And I don't find that I'm any more hungry after I take it off, it just sort of keeps me in check, kind of like wearing tight jeans to a Thanksgiving dinner, just makes you aware of how much you've eaten.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Thanks Swinging Bee!
I find that when I do 40s events I eat less as I wear a long line girdle to hold my stockings up. (I eat even less when I do WW1 and wear a full length corset!lol )
It's odd what you say about friends, whilst I still love those friends dearly I have made new friends through trying to be healthier. The ladies pounding the treadmill every week at the same time as me, and a woman at work who is super fit but struggles to stay that way-also a friend who has a lot more to lose than me but says I'm 'inspirational' to her:eek: which made me feel a whole lot better.
Plus my chap says I act differently since I've been going to the gym and says I always come home grinning and that I'm more confident.
Thanks again gals for the words of encouragement!
K
x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou