Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Kettlebells

Well, I'm trying to catch up on all of the posts but I've got about 20+ pages to go :D

I've been using kettlebells for about 12 weeks and so far I love, love the results. I've dropped 1-percent body fat, toned up my arms, and reshaped my bum and thighs - no more flat, droopy "thut." (Kettlebells do some amazing things for the rear side, at least that's the consenus of kettlebell users on the Video Fitness forum.) Nothing has helped my thut, not the Bar Method/Lotte Berk, pilates, weights, walking, ballet, or isometrics. So I'm happy with that alone.
The only thing it doesn't really challenge is my tummy. I have a pretty flat stomach (it's genetics, I promise), but I still tack on some ab work after my kb session to make sure I've really worked it well. However, kb trainers say that kbs really work the abs, so I'm probably missing something.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like an informerical but I really am happy about the changes my lipstick-red kb is making to my body. Anyway, this is the only thing I've had results with and enjoyed so much. I usually swing it 3 to 4 times weekly. Side note: kbs are kind of vintage. They're from Russia where they've been used since the 18th century. I thought that was a fun piece of history when I read it.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I'm halfway through the thread, but alreayd inspired, so thought I'd post a little bit about what I'm doing for fitness.

When I finished school I was quite overweight, but I changed my eating habits and started exercising and managed to lose about 20kg. I've probably put on half that since though :( I tried doing Curves, but ended up with shin splints from it. I then went to a normal gym, and worked with a personal trainer. It was such a waste of money for the trainer though, because I never went enough to make use of her! But the best part about the gym was the combat classes :D It was essentially a mixture of tae kwon do and aerobics all set to music. I loved those classes and used to do them twice a week. But just as I was starting to see great results from the classes, my Uni classes changed and i was no longer able to go :( So I kinda reached a point where I was stuck.

But I recently moved from Brisbane to the Blue Mountains in NSW; we live right next to the most beautiful national park :D I've been for a few walks through the park, which is essentially a hike, as there's lost of rocks and stairs and rock stairs :p But my boyfriend and I are trying a bit of a 'bootcamp' approach to my fitness. There's a horrible set of 'stairs' just down the road from us that I hate, but is perfect for training! It's pretty much a straight drop, so the path zigzags up the hill to the top. The stairs at the bottom aren't too bad, but then come the stone steps (as in, giant stones that you have to clamber up) and then almost at the top is an almost striaght up set of cement stairs. That's the killer! So for the next month, we're going to walk down and up everyday. I know it doesn't seem like much, but at the moment I can't even make it up the stairs without stopping 2 or 3 times, and that's at quite a slow pace (eeep so unfit!).

As for food, I have a very strict diet because of my skin condition. I'm 'allergic' to anything acidic - tomato, potato, citrus, berries, beef, carbonated beverages; and on top of that, 1/3 of my diet has to be green stuff :p So my goal is to have a salad every night for dinner (I LOVE salad!) and try and have veges at least 4 times a week. I only eat wholegrain bread (white makes me sick now) and I try so hard to stay away from fast food (most of which I can't eat anyway!). I'm also going to try and drink more water. This is pretty achieveable I think, so *fingers crossed*

My main goal is to tone up my legs and butt and to get a waist!! I
know that sounds strange, but I have a really thick waist, which drives me crazy!! My waist measurement is always 1 or 2 sizes bigger than my bust, and then of course there's my thighs (i have NO hips but awfully big thighs *sigh*). URgh! I hate being so out of proportion! So I'm hoping that getting into shape will help me back into proportion! :D

Wow, my posts always end up so long....sorry for the rambling!

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Ladies....tips for losing those last 5 pounds? I've plateau-d :(

MBH, I would say switch up your workout. If you do a certain type of cardio then try something new. You can also change the pace of your cardio workout. Perhaps you generally walk or run at a steady pace for 2 miles, try walking for 5 minutes and then increasing the speed and incline of your walk for two minutes, and then continue the pattern. After a while your body gets used to your exercise routine. If you continue the same routine, you will not see any new results, you will just maintain the shape you are currently in. Hope this helps!

jayem

A-List Customer
Don't ever underestimate the power of walking, ladies!

Gas prices are outrageous and I can't afford to be filling my tank up with $50 every week, so I've resorted to doing a lot of walking. I refuse to step on a scale, so I don't know if I've lost any weight, but I feel fantastic and have much more energy.

I've cut out a lot of sodium from my diet. Invest in a good blender, and you'll never crave junk. My favorite thing to make is what I call a virgin Appletini. I put some diet 7-Up, various diced apples (honeycrisp, granny smith, golden delicious, macintosh...), a touch or cranberry juice, and some natural honey in there. Add some ice and you have a delicious smoothie. Crock pots are also (wo)man's best friend. Little to no fat, healthy meals, and the food is ready once you come home.

Oh, and never forget your vitamins!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Sadly, my Pilates days are over for the time being. The class was only 8 weeks long, since it was a university credit. There's a Pilates studio right next to my work place, but there's no way I'm going to be able to fit their class hours into my schedule until school is over.

I did, however, pick up a weights/aerobics class this quarter. The instructor is really into it, and the intensity of the class is much higher than the Pilates structure. I like it!

I'm also taking a stretching class taught by an instructor from China. The class is amazingly relaxing...though I had to work REALLY hard not to burst out laughing during my first class when the instructor turned on the theme song from Titanic and had us dance to it.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I hate exercising, I love to swim and I like to bike, and that's about it. I bike for an hour every day, to class and back, and that seems to be enough for me.

Food-wise, I try and eat 300 g. of veggies for dinner each day, not so much cheese (although it's my favorite thing in the world!). I love desserts, though, so that's my Achilles heel. I eat something sweet basically every day, but I try not to. >.< Preferably, I'll only eat desserts in the weekend.

I love spinach so I eat a lot lot lot of that, for example today I will be having a very simple pasta dish with spinach and smoked salmon. Oh yes, I eat tons of fish too!

Caroline

One of the Regulars
jayem said:
Don't ever underestimate the power of walking, ladies!

Gas prices are outrageous and I can't afford to be filling my tank up with $50 every week, so I've resorted to doing a lot of walking. I refuse to step on a scale, so I don't know if I've lost any weight, but I feel fantastic and have much more energy.

I agree with the power of walking (although now that I've busted out ALL my old vintage gear, I'm not sure what FL-approved shoes I should be wearing when I walklol . When I go, it's for 30-60 minutes).

I'm one of those people who can't diet for any serious length of time, but I can run, and do other absurdly strenuous exercises at the gym, so I do that. I usually feel like Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in "Mommy Dearest" in that scene where she returns home from a run, panting and crying, but then it's done at least.

I just worked out this morning, and I still have mashed potato arms and a muffin top stomach, but I feel good. I refuse to do sit ups because I think they're the height of absurdity. Cutting out the white flour and alcohol seems to take some weight off. At the end of the day, I'm fighting several hundred years of genetics, so I just do my best.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Caroline said:
I agree with the power of walking (although now that I've busted out ALL my old vintage gear, I'm not sure what FL-approved shoes I should be wearing when I walklol . When I go, it's for 30-60 minutes).

Eh, I've given up on finding vintage-friendly walking shoes. Sure, there are plenty of shoes that are comfortable for, say, walking to classes or work. But when you're walking for that long, you've got to choose the shoes with the best support.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
gluegungeisha said:
Eh, I've given up on finding vintage-friendly walking shoes. Sure, there are plenty of shoes that are comfortable for, say, walking to classes or work. But when you're walking for that long, you've got to choose the shoes with the best support.

Exactly. The FL approved shoes (and I am bartender, so I can officially 'approve') are the shoes that do not damage your feet while you exercise or work out. It's pointless to hurt or harm oneself in the name of sticking to some idea of what should be worn.

I wear athletic shoes to work out. :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Man, I have just been so depressed lately about how out of shape I've gotten.

Since moving to Europe my figure has gone up about 2 inches in the bust, waist and hips, and although it's proportional, that doesn't mean my pants still fit! I just feel frumpy and uncomfortable in my clothing, but the dollar is so worthless that it's too expensive for me to buy new ones. I did buy one new pair of jeans, which were 2 sizes bigger than my regular size, which only made me more depressed!

I just can't stop eating. I'm on a dining hall meal plan, which serves us TERRIBLY unhealthy food. Plus, there's really not much time for me to get out and go for a walk during the week. I just feel so horrible.

How do you ladies practice self-control when it comes to junk food? That's the really big problem for me. I bought a jar of Nutella the other day and ate half of it in one sitting. I know the easy option is to just not buy it, but when encountered with sweets, what do you do to stop yourself from going crazy?

Smuterella

One Too Many
starting Monday I'm on a portion control thing....I eat way too much, thats my problem. I cannot believe I have a 30 inch waist, i know its not that big but its the biggest I've ever been

sixsexsix

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
How do you ladies practice self-control when it comes to junk food? That's the really big problem for me. I bought a jar of Nutella the other day and ate half of it in one sitting. I know the easy option is to just not buy it, but when encountered with sweets, what do you do to stop yourself from going crazy?

Honestly, this sounds terrible, but what I did was just gorge myself on it for a week straight. I ate so much candy/chips/chocolate bars that I was sick, and since then I just don't want them anymore. It didn't kill it for me, I will still have a little bite now and then, but for the most part I don't crave it at all.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, i am the queen of junkfood, and the superhero of zero self-control:( I have never found anything to work, untill i recently, out of desperation, have been on a low-carb diet.Most of my junk food addictions are carbs, and after doing this for about a month, i no longer really crave potato chips, which is HUGE!!!!!I can eat a handful and leave it there!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
starting Monday I'm on a portion control thing....I eat way too much, thats my problem. I cannot believe I have a 30 inch waist, i know its not that big but its the biggest I've ever been

ok. Now you just make me wanna cry.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
I did buy one new pair of jeans, which were 2 sizes bigger than my regular size, which only made me more depressed!

Not really of much help with the rest...since I suck at willpower.....but I did want to point out that the jeans probably aren't actually two sizes bigger.

Not sure what the Netherlands uses in sizing schemes...but the UK size is two sizes bigger then the US size number wise. So, not bigger, just a bigger number. ;)

alexandra

Practically Family
Today I decided I really need to lose weight and get in shape. I've always been really cool with being fat, but now I've gained enough weight to start feeling crappy about myself. No one wants that, so I guess I either have to deal with it or feel like crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred