Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Jennifer Lynn said:
Paisley - Thank you for bringing up gluten intolerance. I have that through my mother's side, and when initially diagnosed, I want gluten-free cold turkey for several years. But eventually wheat, barley and rye found their way back in to my diet, but only in small doses. Intolerances, I have learned do indeed ruin the small intestine, where vitamins and minerals are absorbed from our food. That is what renders many anemic, as well as vitamin deficient (I have that issue, and take a daily vitamin).
If you are truly gluten intolerant, you should not let it creep back into your diet at all!!! If you continue to ingest gluten, it dramatic increases your chances of getting colo-rectal cancer and people with gluten intolerance/celiac disease are more likely to die of colo-rectal cancer than normal people once they have it. We have gluten intolerance in our family (it's hereditary) and most family members have been tested, but my aunt refused to be tested because she didn't want to have to change her diet. So far, she is the only one in our family who got colo-rectal cancer and she passed much quicker than the average colo-rectal cancer patient with no gluten intolerance history.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
Daisie, I have IBS and am allergic to soy and am vegan. Dairy protein is also a trigger for IBS. I started out being vegetarian, but learned that my symptoms are more controllable when I eliminate dairy and eggs. Animal fat is a MAJOR IBS trigger.

Possibly, something in the animal's feed triggers a reaction in susceptible people. A cow's natural diet is mostly grass, not grains. Grains, dairy and legumes (such as soy) aren't part of the diet that humans evolved on, hence, they're common irritants.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
If you are truly gluten intolerant, you should not let it creep back into your diet at all!!! If you continue to ingest gluten, it dramatic increases your chances of getting colo-rectal cancer and people with gluten intolerance/celiac disease are more likely to die of colo-rectal cancer than normal people once they have it. We have gluten intolerance in our family (it's hereditary) and most family members have been tested, but my aunt refused to be tested because she didn't want to have to change her diet. So far, she is the only one in our family who got colo-rectal cancer and she passed much quicker than the average colo-rectal cancer patient with no gluten intolerance history.

At first, I thought letting gluten back into my diet was a bad idea, but I've heard from too many doctors on both sides of the fence to ignore the possibility that some are stuck with it, while others may have less of an intolerance than others, or end up cured over time. One doctor in particular had it himself and was gluten free for at least a decade, if not more. He decided to try a little gluten again, and got tested (both blood and endoscopic) several times and to his surprise, he is no longer afflicted.

True, folks in my situation are playing Russian roulette with our insides, but it is our chance to take. I rarely eat foods with gluten, but I tell yah I'm not going to pass up eating a burger at Fuddruckers.

On the gluten-free side though, I'm pleased to hear a lot more mainstream restaurants are going that route for their patrons. And not just gluten-free, but good tasting gluten-free. Olive Garden, Maggiano's Little Italy, and Fulton's are a few examples.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
exercise

I've been doing the Tracy Anderson arm workout (you tube ttracy anderson method and she's standing in front of 2 mirrors) for about 1 1/2 wks now. You can feeel the burn, working all the muscles, even those not normally used. Sposed to be good for flabby arms. Bout an ab circle about the same time, used it for a bit, like during commercial breaks, easy fun. Of course I fell again and scrapped up my knee so haven't been on it in a few.
And of course the wii fit plus =)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Possibly, something in the animal's feed triggers a reaction in susceptible people. A cow's natural diet is mostly grass, not grains. Grains, dairy and legumes (such as soy) aren't part of the diet that humans evolved on, hence, they're common irritants.
According to my doctor, fat is an intestinal stimulant, just as harsh as coffee and alcohol. It has nothing to do with the animal's diet.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Jennifer Lynn said:
At first, I thought letting gluten back into my diet was a bad idea, but I've heard from too many doctors on both sides of the fence to ignore the possibility that some are stuck with it, while others may have less of an intolerance than others, or end up cured over time. One doctor in particular had it himself and was gluten free for at least a decade, if not more. He decided to try a little gluten again, and got tested (both blood and endoscopic) several times and to his surprise, he is no longer afflicted.
There's also a difference between intolerance and having the genetic markers for celiac disease. If you mearly have an intolerance or allergy, you can heal the intestine and reintroduce it into your diet. If you, and your family, have the genetic marker for celiac disease, it's not Russian Roulette to keep eating gluten, it's a death sentence. There can be no celiac disease without the gene. It's something else, but not a true gluten intolerance.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Indeed, and that's something I've not kept in the forefront of my mind in the years since I've been diagnosed (gluten intolerance vs celiac sprue - check out celiac.com if curious). Perhaps I'll see to some genetic tests in the near future to rule that out for myself.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I joined Weight Watchers! One week ago.

Having gained about 60 pounds in the past 15 years, it is time to take it off. I figure I can either have annoyance of diet and exercise now, or the bigger annoyance of injecting insulin into myself for years. Besides, I miss wearing pretty clothes and looking cute in them.

I have a buddy going with me to meetings and we will be able to keep each other on track. We also go walking together and are in a gardening group together, so I see a lot of activity points in our shared future.

This week has been pretty easy - I am not using their recipes much yet but using their system to keep the foods that I like in my life, but trim down the portion sizes and adjust the ingredients so they are healthier. Their online tracking tools are great, and work on my Mac and my IPhone perfectly!

Tomorrow night I have my first weigh-in! I will post the news... wish me luck. I feel smaller, and I definitely feel much healthier already.

Skinny pictures:
Favorite dress:
15949_329813545006_703795006_9454607_7960240_n.jpg

My WW buddy and I, a while ago:
l_225fbefccc4ca9d5ce5fd66002e39392.jpg

TOO SKINNY! I am not planning on going down to 118 again. I look a little skeletal.
l_989dc585b7c25945b5a5130068740ac5.jpg

And a fat picture, this is why I am finally serious...
22449_315708214233_738114233_3520150_3140193_n.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Sara,

My weight has been all over the place in my 43 years on this planet. My lowest was 119 and it was a daily struggle to stay there, lots of obsessing over the scale. I wouldn't go back either! My highest was over 212. How high over 212, I'm not sure. I didn't have the courage to step on the scale until several weeks after changing how and what I ate. Like you, I had health on my mind (avoiding the quadruple cardiac bypass my Mom had last May) and it really seemed to *click* this go-around. I feel a lot less pressure to lose with HEALTH as the main focus. The fact that I can get into some cute vintage is really just a FUN, FUN, FUN fringe benefit!

I just know you are going to rock WW! ...but if you ever need to grumble or vent during the process, we're here for you sista! :D Good luck at the weigh in and let us know how you did!

Avalon

A-List Customer
I was doing good, watching what I ate and exercising, and then PLOMP! I fell off the wagon. Gained back five of the twenty pounds I lost. :( I'm starting fresh. My biggest roadblock is my sweet tooth. If it even looks like sugar, I want it. lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm right there with you all as well. I keep going up and down the same 10 lbs. I really would like to feel motivated as I know that the pending engagement is going to make me feel like I have to do something quick to drop a lot of weight. Nothing would be better than if I could fit into the vintage wedding dress of my dreams. Unfortunately as it stands today - I may find 1 out of 100 dresses that might fit. So I have a goal - now to think of the ring as a lapband.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
Daisie, I have IBS and am allergic to soy and am vegan. Dairy protein is also a trigger for IBS. I started out being vegetarian, but learned that my symptoms are more controllable when I eliminate dairy and eggs. Animal fat is a MAJOR IBS trigger. You're right about soy and thyroid, but it is only recommend that you avoid soy if you already have a thyroid condition. For healthy people, it's completely safe. Even for people with a thyroid condition, as long as you don't eat soy soon after taking your thyroid meds, it's ok.

I do know that dairy is a trigger for me. I seem to do okay with yogurt for some reason...but cheese and milk is a no go for me.

And I do have thyroid issues...so that counts out soy. My doctor said that if I do ingest soy, I shouldn't do it in large amounts and to avoid taking it too close to thyroid meds. He urged me not to use it as a protein replacement. My additional reading said that tempeh (fermented soy) is better than non-fermented soy. Apparently tofu isn't fermented as often anymore.

It appears as though maybe I should just quit eating...as one condition is triggered by what the other says to avoid and vice versa...haha. [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
DaisieWilde said:
It appears as though maybe I should just quit eating...as one condition is triggered by what the other says to avoid and vice versa...haha. [huh]
You're so right! To be honest, it's one of the reasons I gained all the weight I lost back. My digestion prefer a diet of white rice, applesauce and bananas. I could probably go back on the heavy duty meds and eat better, but in the long run, the side effects are worse. My GP doctor tells me I need to eat low carb to lose weight and control my blood sugar so I don't end up with diabetes, but my GI doctor tells me to stay away from low carb diets.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
You're so right! To be honest, it's one of the reasons I gained all the weight I lost back. My digestion prefer a diet of white rice, applesauce and bananas. I could probably go back on the heavy duty meds and eat better, but in the long run, the side effects are worse. My GP doctor tells me I need to eat low carb to lose weight and control my blood sugar so I don't end up with diabetes, but my GI doctor tells me to stay away from low carb diets.

Isn't it just maddening sometimes? Although I could totally eat applesauce, bananas and rice and be a happy kid :)

Miss 1929

Thanks 23!
I am so stoked, I just got back from my first weigh-in, and I lost 4.2 pounds in a week! And I feel GREAT, not hungry, not tired, totally energetic. I was poisoning myself with food.

I also just got another inspirational diet picture, which until now I never saw - this is from 1987, and I am wearing a half a million dollars in pearls, platinum and diamonds. I love this pic!
27041_10150113206725182_645000181_11478852_2139023_n.jpg

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
Thanks 23!
I am so stoked, I just got back from my first weigh-in, and I lost 4.2 pounds in a week! And I feel GREAT, not hungry, not tired, totally energetic. I was poisoning myself with food.

I also just got another inspirational diet picture, which until now I never saw - this is from 1987, and I am wearing a half a million dollars in pearls, platinum and diamonds. I love this pic!

1987? I thought this was a vintage photo! How beautiful! And I'll be the first to ask...how did you get so lucky as to bath yourself in such beautiful jewelry!!!

And congrats on moving towards your goal!!! :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a big WOOHOO Sara! Keep it going, girl!

Where was this picture taken? Glad you made it an avatar shot too!

Miss 1929 said:
Thanks 23!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Thanks 23!

Sara...I am stoked for you! 4.2 in a week? Way to go! :eusa_clap

I kinda got to the point where I felt poisoned by food too. Way too much take out and fast food and now I don't eat it at all. Well, I gave in once and my insides paid for 2 days! :( My diet still isn't perfect but I do catch myself thinking..."I really haven't been eating enough vegetables lately."

I'd love to know more about the jewelry too!
Also loving that table...sort of what I dream will be in the fourier of my mansion. keyword "dream"

Miss 1929

That was at Shreve & Co., one of the oldest and most fabulous jewelers in San Francisco, we did a live modeling day with 10 models in Art Deco era clothing for the 50th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. Somewhere, there is a swell shot of all of us on a fire truck, one was driving down the street and we all went out and posed on it in traffic with the hunky firemen. So much fun!

That's another reason to lose weight - I miss modeling! I used to do it a lot.

I really wanted to bolt with the necklace, which separates into two bracelets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner