Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola, I am not seeing any red meat or green veggies in the typical foods you describe above. Being shaky and tired and cold all sounds a lot like anemia to me. Get your iron checked.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was recently diagnosed with anemia (mild). I was somewhat cold, but not tired or shaky. I agree, though, that the red meat and green vegetables are good things.

I started taking iron pills a few days ago and I've suddenly gotten tan (the real red kind, not the fake orange spray-on kind, thank goodness).

Miss 1929

I was super-anemic at one point in life, so they shot me full of vitamin B. I went from sleeping 20 hours a day to staying awake for three days straight, it was intense!
Definitely though Viola, you should check in with a doctor. Something isn't right if you're feeling like that.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I cleaned my PM box some - sorry about that!

Today I had chicken breast deli slices on ezekial bread for breakfast and a grapefruit for lunch and rice and fish (salmon and perch) for dinner.

Also 200 calories of candy and 32 oz. of coffee and 32 of tea.

I wasn't anemic a few months ago. I'll check it again - that one's free from the Red Cross. I admit I worry about the diabetes thing, mostly because everyone in my family seems to do it like its going out of fashion. That's why I'm trying to keep my weight low and exercise high.

Miss 1929

I still don't see anything green there... eat your vegetables, young lady! A British lady I used to work for always said you could tell if your meals were balanced if you had something red, something yellow and something green on your plate. Simple system, but she was so healthy!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Viola, I don't know if sprouted wheat (e.g., Ezekial bread) still counts as wheat. When I tried Ezekial bread, it made me bloat as much as regular bread, so I'm inclined to think it counts as wheat. Gluten intolerance (celiac disease, where gluten damages your intestines) is separate from wheat intolerance. Neither one is an allergy.

If you must have bread, Bob's Red Mill has some terrific wheat-free bread mixes. They're kind of expensive to make, though. If you like soup, Pacific and Imagine make organic soups--the red lentil curry and Cuban black bean are especially good.

Protein powders are good, too--I make a fruit/protein shake every morning with Spiru-Tein. It's tasty, it's full of vitamins, and it doesn't contain whey in case you're sensitive to dairy. It seems expensive, but a can contains a lot of servings.

Like you, I'm trying to avoid diabetes, which seems to strike my relatives around age 55. The site I mentioned--the one with instructions for testing your own blood sugar--is run and frequented by people who are really into managing their diabetes and pre-diabetes. The woman who started it studied medical literature and the reactions of herself and other diabetics to various foods. Her conclusion is that the recommendations of the American Diabetes Association to "eat healthy whole grains" don't concur with medical studies or her own observations.

Also, the Heart Scan Blog, http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/, is written by a cardiologist who became diabetic and reversed it. He writes a lot of posts about managing and preventing diabetes and pre-diabetes. Unlike most doctors, he's knowledgeable about diet and supplements; he recommends a limited carb diet with adequate protein and good fats for his patients. Dr. Williams' conclusion from observing himself and his patients is that the American Heart Association's recommendation to "eat healthy whole grains" is terrible. He also points out that the American Diabetes Association is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and Cadbury, the chocolate maker.

Foofoogal

Banned
I stay borderline anemic and have to take iron often.

Since this is on exercise and nutrition I was wondering if anyone knew what one piece of exercise equipment would be best.

A good treadmill or a combo elliptical/bike? This cold weather is making me a muffin I am afraid. :eusa_doh:

I don't watch oprah often but she had a show on diabetes with Dr.Oz yesterday and he basically said best thing to help diabetes is stay away from white things. Sugar, white bread, pasta, etc. and exercise.
Diabetes as well as Thyroid or Graves runs in families. I am 7 years in remission from Graves due to diet. I still have my thyroid and am on no meds like they do in Europe and Japan.
Goitrens are my friend. Greens, Broccoli, Cauliflower and stay off of iodine.
http://thyroid.about.com/

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The best piece of exercise equipment is one you'll use. ;)

My dog loves the treadmill, and she's always thrilled to get on it and run. I have a basic pair of sueded tennis shoes I dance in.

For strength training, you can use free weights or a resistance workout like Ballet Conditioning.

That, and a $15 stop watch, is the extent of my exercise equipment.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's funny! My dog has done that once or twice, too. She tries to go really fast if she sees a cat outside the window.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
I cleaned my PM box some - sorry about that!

Today I had chicken breast deli slices on ezekial bread for breakfast and a grapefruit for lunch and rice and fish (salmon and perch) for dinner.

Also 200 calories of candy and 32 oz. of coffee and 32 of tea.

I wasn't anemic a few months ago. I'll check it again - that one's free from the Red Cross. I admit I worry about the diabetes thing, mostly because everyone in my family seems to do it like its going out of fashion. That's why I'm trying to keep my weight low and exercise high.

Try some dark green veggies such as spinach. I hate the cooked variety, but raw spinach for salads, etc. is delicious. I also got into the habit of adding a small amount of sunflower seeds, cashews and raisins to my salads to help keep anemia at bay.

And yes, red meat is supposed to help with anemia too.

This all goes back to: the less processed your food is, the more likely it'll be better for you.

RD

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
finally took some meaurements- again.

Been working hard at losing the stress weight I had put on. Almost back to my best number of pounds weighed since I was in really good shape in Fall 2008! About 3 more lbs to go, and I want to try to see if I can break the glass ceiling I had hit then. BUT the good news is the measurements I just took have me RIGHT on at Fall 2008. Bust:42 (in a brassiere and out of one), Waist: 32, and Hips: 39-3/4. So today I am a very happy girl! This is a huge woohoo for me, a size 6-8 in modern clothes. All my good skirts need to be taken in a the waist-YES!!:)

I'm off to dance aerobics class at the Y (a little late), and then to go pickup some of my favorite Valhrohna 72% dark chocolate at Trader Joes...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I recently eliminated nearly all starchy, sugary carbs from my diet: grains, yogurt, beans and fruit. They were giving me acid reflux.

Result: I feel great! Little aches and pains are gone. I don't wake up tired in the morning. I get full quickly on meat, nuts, eggs and high-fiber vegetables--and yet I'm getting my old figure back. :D

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I have been researching diet and various things. When I turned 30 I was planning on going vegetarian. I bought some veggie/vegan cookbooks. When I went to go make a grocery list, I noticed that much of the recipes relied on soy (tofu) and seitan (wheat gluten). Now, soy mimics estrogen in your system and supresses your thyroid (so do other foods like cabbage, broccoli, peaches, cauliflower, like Foofoogal mentioned above). Yes, the Japanese eat it regularly, but their intake is not nearly as much as they use it as a supplement to their meals, such as soy sauce and miso. According to what I have read, they never use it as a protein replacement. Apparently, if you are going to eat soy you should stick to fermented kinds (like tempeh). I know there is a lot of controversy on this, but as I have thryoid issues, I'm steering clear for now.
A few of my vegan friends rave about seitan, but having IBS, I am supposed to avoid wheat gluten as it is very hard the digestive track.

While I still chose to avoid meat when possible (and some dairy, I just cannot tolerate it like I used to), I have discovered "real food," meaning you consume nothing processed.

Yes, it's a little overwhelming when you think about not being able to buy ANYTHING processed...no pasta, no refined oils, no store-bought butter or condiments, no bread, yogurt, etc. BUT, one gal whom I've truly enjoyed reading her blog has said "if your great great great grandmother wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it."

This got me thinking...perhaps the real food way of eating is truly a vintage way of revamping my diet. I'm kind of excited! It'll take me some time to go "real" because I'm not going to throw out all the food I just bought on my grocery trip...plus I need to stock up on some things in order to make homemade bread and yogurt (kitchen appliances) but I think it might be a good way to get healthy and get rid of all the modern junk they put into food nowadays.

I'll be attempting to: make my own bread using sprouted wheat flour, make my own kefir, make my own yogurt, and buy local, fresh produce. No more mac and cheese for me (my fav!). They put soy, corn syrup, etc. in everything now. Wow!

:eek:fftopic:
If you haven't seen the documentary "Food, Inc." I highly recommend it. It takes a look at the modern food industry and promotes small, local sources for food. It's amazing how the big corporations own EVERYTHING now, including a lot of the organic brands out there!

ON TOPIC...
Foofoogal...I'm the opposite with my thyroid. I'm supposed to avoid goitrens and my doctor wants me to start salting my foods again. I retain water like it's going out of style when I get too much sodium so I switched to a salt substitute. I really need to go off BC pills too, but my time of the month is unbearable when I'm off them :(

Flat Foot Floey

Hey DaisyWilde;

I am vegetarian for over 10 years. Most of this time I didn't care about proteins and stuff and was alkways healthy. I started cooking with soy or tofu late.
Since I'm doing more sport I wanted to have more proteins. So I also did some research. There quite a few studies that deny the bad effect on estrogens and stuff.

Just read this for example. It's for bodybuilding nutrition supplements but basically about the same youre talking
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

I also know a bodybuilder who is VEGAN and eats a lot of soy stuff. He body is really amazing with sixpack and huge muscles everywhere. He is on a low carb diet when he wants to define his muscles more...it really works.

I am donating blood for some years now. After a workout I maybe have to less iron to donate but if I wait a few days (2 or 3) my blood is balanced again.

Best regards,

Florian

PS: Oopsy...Are guys allowed to post here or not? Sorry, I'm new

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I actually just started reading a c1950 book by Gayelord Hauser about living longer and looking younger. He's a big proponent of yogurt, brewers yeast, wheat germ, black strap molasses and fortifying milk with powdered skim milk. He also talks about natural foods and discusses the way people used to eat, as in pre-1950's, and how even back then, he felt a lot of food had lost it's nutritional value. Fred Astaire's Mother was a huge supporter.

You can read a little more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayelord_Hauser

I'm trying to add wheat germ (vitamin E) and black strap molasses (copper, manganese and some other stuff that supposedly improves iron) and the powdered milk enrichment, but haven't found brewers yeast yet. I will say, I've tried black strap molasses a few ways and I just don't care for it one little bit. TOTALLY ruined a perfectly good cup of java! So, I take it like a real gal and slurp it off the spoon and follow with a coffee chaser. Although Gayelord says coffee is a no-no.

Since my Mom's cardiac bypass surgery in May 2009, our diets have changed quite a bit. We eat a little turkey and fish and rarely chicken. Her doctor is concerned with anemia and says it can happen when you revamp a diet the way we have had to. I want to run a few of these "vintage" nutrition ideas past him to see if it's safe and would benefit my Mom. In the meantime, it's a curious read, especially when the author talks about the newly discovered B12 vitamin!

il_430xN.86109574.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Daisie, I have IBS and am allergic to soy and am vegan. Dairy protein is also a trigger for IBS. I started out being vegetarian, but learned that my symptoms are more controllable when I eliminate dairy and eggs. Animal fat is a MAJOR IBS trigger. You're right about soy and thyroid, but it is only recommend that you avoid soy if you already have a thyroid condition. For healthy people, it's completely safe. Even for people with a thyroid condition, as long as you don't eat soy soon after taking your thyroid meds, it's ok.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Viola, I don't know if sprouted wheat (e.g., Ezekial bread) still counts as wheat. When I tried Ezekial bread, it made me bloat as much as regular bread, so I'm inclined to think it counts as wheat. Gluten intolerance (celiac disease, where gluten damages your intestines) is separate from wheat intolerance. Neither one is an allergy.

Paisley - Thank you for bringing up gluten intolerance. I have that through my mother's side, and when initially diagnosed, I want gluten-free cold turkey for several years. But eventually wheat, barley and rye found their way back in to my diet, but only in small doses. Intolerances, I have learned do indeed ruin the small intestine, where vitamins and minerals are absorbed from our food. That is what renders many anemic, as well as vitamin deficient (I have that issue, and take a daily vitamin).

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
23SkidooWithYou said:
ISince my Mom's cardiac bypass surgery in May 2009, our diets have changed quite a bit. We eat a little turkey and fish and rarely chicken. Her doctor is concerned with anemia and says it can happen when you revamp a diet the way we have had to. I want to run a few of these "vintage" nutrition ideas past him to see if it's safe and would benefit my Mom. In the meantime, it's a curious read, especially when the author talks about the newly discovered B12 vitamin!

This cardiologist is really into nutrition and prevention:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Jennifer Lynn said:
Paisley - Thank you for bringing up gluten intolerance. I have that through my mother's side, and when initially diagnosed, I want gluten-free cold turkey for several years. But eventually wheat, barley and rye found their way back in to my diet, but only in small doses. Intolerances, I have learned do indeed ruin the small intestine, where vitamins and minerals are absorbed from our food. That is what renders many anemic, as well as vitamin deficient (I have that issue, and take a daily vitamin).

Those yummy breads and cakes and brownies are insidious. The more I find out about grain, the more I think it doesn't belong in the diet of humans. If you have celiac, it ruins your intestines. If you're diabetic, it sends your blood sugar sky high. If you're prone to acid reflux, as I am, it can give you a raging bout of it. Not great for your teeth or waistline, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR