Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
My gramps taught me basically everything I know about trapping, and physics and carpentry. He did everything, Mexican Army during WWII, College Prof by age of 30, Carpenter, Gun dealer, hunter/ trapper, astronomer, mathmetician, inventor, scientist...he was a genius. :eek:fftopic: I don't know whether to be proud of myself or to schedule a appointment with a shrink now...

Isn't passing along all that fun stuff to give our parents nightmares what grandparents are for?lol

Just means, when you get to college take a psych class or two. They're always fun... especially if you get to turn 'em into "Psychological Warfare class" like I did--which is further training for helping us all deal with the fruitbats this thread is all about.

"The circle is complete."--Darth Vader

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Re-Entry And Splashdown
via FoxyTunes

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Oh yes! Quite! I got that methodical side from my Mothers Father, and then from my Fathers Father, I get the Cuban Revolutionary / would be assassin. My grandfather and a number of other Cuban dignitaries attempted to assassinate Fidel and Raul Castro in either lat 1960 or early '61) I am currently writing a book about it, I am recording my grandmothers memories and I am going to speak with a man that was jailed in Guantanamo with my grandfather. I took a psych class last year in HS. Thats as far as its gonna go..onto culinary school for me.

:eek:fftopic: Just please don't call yourself "Carlos", or we're both gonna have a "Jason Bourne" problem on our hands.:eek: lol (It's a long story... one better saved for PMs, but it's tied to a lot of experimental psych work that designed to patch me up into "fighting trim" and make me a more effective protector for a girl I once loved.)

----------------
Now playing: Eric Serra - Whispering Statues
via FoxyTunes

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Reminds me of a Pink Panther cartoon where he and the neighbor start fighting.

I particularly can't understand the fools who go ape over a tree limb growing over a fence as though a tree has a concept of borders.:rage: Hey, dipstick, cut the branch and shut up.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My west side neighbors are artists. To say that they are eccentric would be the world's most heroic understatement. But I still love them. I loan them tools. Sometimes I get my tools back. I mow their grass when their mower is broken. It is pretty much always broken. I help them not go to jail for their many, many traffic violations. They commit more violations to let me know how much they appreciate my work. Once, when they were away and their porch caught on fire, Jackie and I managed to hold the blaze at bay with a garden hose until the fire department arrived to save the day. A few days later, Chuck came and re-borrowed most of my tools to rebuild the porch. Not too much bothers Chuck.

But for all their idiosyncrasies, they are pretty darn good artists. I once went to one of Chuck’s shows and there was a painting that he had done of my back yard. I didn’t know that he had painted my yard, but it wasn’t like I would have said no if he had asked. I couldn’t help but notice that the painting sported a hefty $1200.00 price tag. It caused me to puzzle for a moment as to who would pay $1200.00 for a painting of my back yard. I damn sure wouldn’t have.

But someone did.

After the show, I half jokingly asked Chuck where was my cut of the $1200.00 he got for the painting of my yard. He just smiled and asked if he could borrow my band saw the next weekend.

AF

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
All the neigbours on my street are nice people, with the exception of the one we don't know because he only ever comes out to drive away.

However, the neighbour whose garden borders ours is not nice at all. We have a tree house which we built from where we could in theory look at her garden (at the time of building the previous owner had high trees and was child friendly enough not to mind). The neigbour tried to force us to take it down when she cut the trees down as we could spy on her, but we argued that the treehouse was there before she moved in so we were allowed to keep it.

A few months ago I was taking a picture of myself in the treehouse with a telescope for an article in the local newspaper in which I was petitioning against the government plan to close the Jodrell Bank (the first ever radiotelescope). The neighbour came out into her garden and had a shout at me for using my telescope to spy on her. I didn't even try to point out that me telescope was angled at the sky and useless to spy on her anyway as it was too close and the image would be upside down and back to front. I simply explained that it was for an article, and she continued to treat me like an intruder. I understand her initial reaction (although I do find it a little silly) but her continuing to behave like that was rude I think as I gave her a perfectly valid and true explanation.

Not as bad as some of the posts here about violent neigbours, but another example of being rude. At least she's not actually on our street.

Lincsong said:
Reminds me of a Pink Panther cartoon where he and the neighbor start fighting.

I particularly can't understand the fools who go ape over a tree limb growing over a fence as though a tree has a concept of borders.:rage: Hey, dipstick, cut the branch and shut up.

If they planted the tree right up against the fence then they should expect to get grief over it being planted there. Its a matter of manners and being a good neighbor who doesn't encroach on your neighbor's property. There is no difference between that and squatters to me.:rage:
I just hedge the tree right up to the fence---unless I just happen to have some Round Up handy.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My peach tree was next to the fence when I moved in. I always thought of it as free peaches for the neighbors. But you're right in that many people don't consider the mature size of a tree, or its possible annoyances, when they plant it.

norton

One of the Regulars
Clara Noir said:
The police removed most of our exciting neighbours.

There's the neighbour on the left who spent last summer firing a gun through our adjoining fence and into our back garden. And the lady two doors up who thinks it's fine for her feral cats to poop in our garden, but it's not ok for us to chase them off...but that's about it.

Maybe he was hunting feral cats?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Re-reading this thread reminds me of how very lucky I am!

Our next-door neighbors, an Osteopathic physician with a charming wife and three children, are absolute joys! We live in an old established neighborhood, and so both have yards full of elderly shade trees, which occasionally drop branches. He takes care of those that fall in his yard, and we take care of those that fall in ours. Across the street lives a wonderful lady in her nineties, who brings us flowers form her garden. IN winter we shovel her walks.

After our recent carriage house fire, a group of the neighbor men pitched in and helped us salvage the remaining contents of the building. None would accept remuneration.

We are truly blessed!

Foofoogal

Banned
the last 2 places I have lived I have had wonderful neighbors. I pray for good ones ahead of time. ;)

Our neighbors where I just moved are very friendly and happy to have us. We clipped and cleaned up all the trees and there were alot of them. The one on one side of us is ecstatic as the last guy never did this and the neighbor had a time mowing under all the limbs.
Trying your best to get along with neighbors and help each other is very important and more so in these times.
We were in Germany when Hurricane Ike hit Houston last Sept. and couldn't get home to see our home for 2 wks. When we did a big tree had fell on our front porch. The neighbors had it cut up and stacked so not to let our home seem empty.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Extending the meaning of "neighbor" to "coworker in the next cube," there are times I wish I had an office and a door. Hearing about who said what to whom, from people who need their hearing checked, gets tiresome. I like these coworkers, but I'd like them even more if they didn't broadcast the insipid details of their lives.

The cube next to mine used to be occupied by somone who was constantly on the phone. Every time she called the Houston office, she said, "Houston, we have a problem. lol " At long last, she was replaced by someone more professional.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Reading this thread reminds me how glad I am that we live in the middle of 50 acres of Wyoming prairie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner