Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just had some nutty neighbors this weekend, on Saturday night in fact, whilst camping. The wife and daughter and I went camping on Lake Sonoma. Alas, the next FIVE campsites on our arm of the lake ("Quicksilver Campsite") were occupied by a horde of college kids who PLAYED MUSIC FROM A RADIO all afternoon and all evening. Despite the official "silent time starts at 9 PM" policy, they were still playing their Pearl Jam and (insert name of other unpleasant sexual "clever" innuendo double entendre rock band name) until PAST 10 PM. Finally I had to walk to their site and ask them to turn it off as "We have a two year old who wakes us up early" (as though I should have needed an excuse). I heard some "Okays" and a single monstrously irritating "We'll turn it down, but not off" which of course would have incurred an immediate lightning bolt if Zeus actually existed. But they did turn it off (I certainly didn't hear it).

I was not looking forward to confronting them, mainly because I didn't want to get up, but once I did confront them, all was well.

In this kind of situation you cannot call the cops or the park rangers since these campsites are quite far from the parking lot -- almost an hour's hike. Or would the park ranger have come down on a horse to answer a noise complaint? Our cell phones didn't work either, so (not that it would come to this) if the college jocks had decided to, for example, beat us up or kill us, there would have been very little we could do. Luckily it didn't turn into a California version of the film "Southern Comfort" as they were willing to listen to reason and turn off the Whitesnake.

Doran said:
I just had some nutty neighbors this weekend, on Saturday night in fact, whilst camping. The wife and daughter and I went camping on Lake Sonoma. Alas, the next FIVE campsites on our arm of the lake ("Quicksilver Campsite") were occupied by a horde of college kids who PLAYED MUSIC FROM A RADIO all afternoon and all evening. Despite the official "silent time starts at 9 PM" policy, they were still playing their Pearl Jam and (insert name of other unpleasant sexual "clever" innuendo double entendre rock band name) until PAST 10 PM. Finally I had to walk to their site and ask them to turn it off as "We have a two year old who wakes us up early" (as though I should have needed an excuse). I heard some "Okays" and a single monstrously irritating "We'll turn it down, but not off" which of course would have incurred an immediate lightning bolt if Zeus actually existed. But they did turn it off (I certainly didn't hear it).

I was not looking forward to confronting them, mainly because I didn't want to get up, but once I did confront them, all was well.

In this kind of situation you cannot call the cops or the park rangers since these campsites are quite far from the parking lot -- almost an hour's hike. Or would the park ranger have come down on a horse to answer a noise complaint? Our cell phones didn't work either, so (not that it would come to this) if the college jocks had decided to, for example, beat us up or kill us, there would have been very little we could do. Luckily it didn't turn into a California version of the film "Southern Comfort" as they were willing to listen to reason and turn off the Whitesnake.

It could have been worse. Ever seen Deliverance? :eek:
Another example of the death of common sense and manners. :rage:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
It still cast shade on the yard where other plants grow--interfering with their daily sunlight. I am not sure what "13 feet above the groun is though."
Try growing tomatoes in the shade if you mean above the "ground." Not to mention the extra leaves that fall on your side that you get to rake up. Then to make matters worse al the stupid seedlings that pop up all over the yard due to the proliferation of seeds the damned trees drop. Sure no problem. It isn't hurting a thing. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: :rage:
That is a hypothetical though as there are no branches 13 feet above the ground. There are no branches near the fence. :p

Whine whine moan moan. It's all a natural occurence.:eusa_booh boo hoo. As though the sun stays at high noon over the yard so there is never any shade. As though birds don't eat seeds, crap in the yard and then the seedlings and weeds take sprout. As though the wind doesn't blow. :fing28:

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i saw our 'nut' today...

seriously, a couple weeks ago this guy was cutting wood with his chainsaw well past 9:30pm and complained to us a few days earlier about us slamming our back door shut around 8 at night...

plus, it's already gotten into the 80s here...so i hope he has enough wood for the summer...that's what i told his wife...

she apologized for him doing that so late and admitted his family never taught him any manners...

lollol

some people, right...

Dr Doran

SamMarlowPI said:
i saw our 'nut' today...

seriously, a couple weeks ago this guy was cutting wood with his chainsaw well past 9:30pm and complained to us a few days earlier about us slamming our back door shut around 8 at night...

plus, it's already gotten into the 80s here...so i hope he has enough wood for the summer...that's what i told his wife...

she apologized for him doing that so late and admitted his family never taught him any manners...

lollol

some people, right...

Well, at least he had a "better half." Seriously, if he had been unmarried there might have been no civilizing or softening influence on him whatsoever.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It was true. She'd trim them then vacuum them. You could kick them and not one leaf or clob of dirt would come out.

Then another lady, her husband laid bricks along the border of the lawn, she didn't like the angle he laid them, pulled them all out and had him start over.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
oh wow...thats interesting...

one lady&husband chased us away from their house because they didn't want us using chalk on their sidewalk...

kind of understandable...but not to a 10 year old child...

lollollol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:

I don't really see the horror of what they were doing but I guess I'm glad it didn't come to violence, on either side.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Oh, there was an old man who lived a couple feet from the school. His was a corner lot and he had a four foot hedge on the outer border along the sidewalk. When school let out he'd be right there making sure no one touched his hedge. Some of the older bullies liked to run up, grab someone's books or lunch pails and throw it into his yard. He'd flip out.lol

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I have one. My aunt has these neighbours that would phone the city ordinance fellows and have another neighbours car towed because it was parked on the street. City bylaws prohibit parking a vehicle on a residential street for more than 72 hours if it hasn't been moved.

Apparently it's happened several times, and because it's a big city the ordinance fellows don't seem to care that it is in fact parked in front of the owners house. The bylaw is designed so you can't park a non-functional vehicle or trailer on city streets, but these people are so fed up with going away for the weekend and coming back to find their other car missing that they're known for parking several blocks away, and walking to their own property.

Speaking of chainsaws, my dad has a very expensive one. I live with my parents and generally get roped into doing the neighbours construction projects when I'm not at my office. My neighbour borrowed our chainsaw and returned it, busted beyond repair. Turns out he was using it to cut up sod. Still attached to the topsoil. My dad was a little angry, but this man is a 60 y/o retired banker and didn't know better.

Also, I used to have a neighbour who looked just like Ned Flanders. He had a religious program on the local religion channel. I used to get phone calls from various folks saying they couldn't believe Ned Flanders just walked into my neighbours house. Seriously, he had the hair, the moustache and the glasses. And he was a religious nut. After I got out of private school, he thought I (emphasis on I) dressed a bit funny.

Thomas

Foofoogal

Banned
When I was a kid in the innocent years we lived on a street with about 100 kids. There was a mean man that didn't like kids at all. He had birds (parrots? ) and taught them to cuss like sailors. All the moms kept all the kids away from him.
Another man on the same street took every single blade of grass out of his yard. Just dirt and cacti. This would be ok in Arizona but it was in lush green South Texas. Everyone just thought he was strange. lol

Carlisle Blues

Foofoogal said:
When I was a kid in the innocent years we lived on a street with about 100 kids. There was a mean man that didn't like kids at all. He had birds (parrots? ) and taught them to cuss like sailors. All the moms kept all the kids away from him.
lol

That was me. :mad: Boo :eek:

Lincsong said:
Whine whine moan moan. It's all a natural occurence.:eusa_booh boo hoo. As though the sun stays at high noon over the yard so there is never any shade. As though birds don't eat seeds, crap in the yard and then the seedlings and weeds take sprout. As though the wind doesn't blow. :fing28:

:rolleyes: :kick: shakeshead

I would hate to be your neighbor with your trees growing over in the yard, loud music and constant hammering.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Maybe rough instead of nutty

I have one who discusses his crack habit at 8 in the morning. I've called the police on them before as he was beating his wife. I try and stay out of his way now.

Another with a rooster that never shuts up. In the city it is not legal. These are the same folks who slaughtered a goat in their driveway for a celebration they were having. I cried for a day when I figured what the heck was going on. Their children throw rocks and sticks at my dogs. I have never seen a parent from this house monitor their kids in 10 years (I believe they have 9 kids in the household). They take my cans out of my recycling, which I don't mind but think is strange.

Two doors down is a man who breeds fighting pits. Many calls against him. I don't blame the breed - I blame him. He also likes to ride his Harley back and forth down the alley after 11 on the weekends. I stay way out of his way.

I do want my dogs to bark (reference above drugs/pits etc). Single girl in bad neighborhood - I have spread the word that my dogs bite (though they never have). I am very aware of their barking however and will put them in immediately if it's out of line or for the wrong reasons. Never worried about leaves from others trees. That's just nature to me and sometimes nature cannot be controlled, try as I might. I don't like to get involved as you might ascertain. We have our own Block Bully for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner