Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

To each his own, I do my best to cover it up, but there's a song by Tracy Lawerence that says "You Can't Hide Redneck" and when you grow up with it, you can't help but get a big redneck streak through yourself. I mean no offense to anybody by my actions/opinions obviously and it's the diversity that makes this world an interesting place.

Doran said:
An "illegal immigrant hunting permit."

Hmmm.

I wonder if anyone will post a "hick hunting permit."

What an unfortunate situation that could be ...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
I don't really see the horror of what they were doing but I guess I'm glad it didn't come to violence, on either side.

They were keeping me awake with the (bad) music. [Its badness is secondary to it being on in the first place after 9PM in contravention to the (very, very sensible) park rules.]

Dr Doran

AtomicEraTom said:
To each his own, I do my best to cover it up, but there's a song by Tracy Lawerence that says "You Can't Hide Redneck" and when you grow up with it, you can't help but get a big redneck streak through yourself. I mean no offense to anybody by my actions/opinions obviously and it's the diversity that makes this world an interesting place.

That's true. It's all good. By the way, welcome to the Lounge. I like your posts.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
There was a guy on the street when I was a kid. He had a huge gut. He'd drive down the street with a little dog resting on his gut and a chihuahua on the other window barking.lol

Mike in Seattle

We used to have the Kravitzes next door. We tried loads of times to chat with them, but to no avail. Other neighbors said they were always odd and kept to themselves. She was always getting a step-stool to look over the fence when she thought we weren't around. Trying to see in the den window or the garage window or breakfast room window. When the moving van arrived with our stuff one Saturday morning, she was upstairs watching everything as it came off the truck. Fortunately, it started to drizzle about the time all the boxes were unloaded and all of the furniture had to be wrapped up - I'm sure THAT killed her. It was like Lucy & Ethel watching Tallulah Bankhead move in next door.

They also copied everything we did. We put in a fountain, they do. We bought table & chairs & umbrellas for the deck, within 24 hours the truck from Home Depot is making a delivery. First Christmas, we put up one test string to compare C9 and C7 bulbs. Opted for the larger. She had "Abner" out early the next morning stringing lights - unbeknownst to her, we'd laid in a big supply of the bigger bulbed strings after our test the night before. They turned on their lights (single string of smaller size going along the eaves)...and then ours came on - roof outlined, every peak & valley, mini lights in the windows. Abner had to go out early and add more the next morning. I had an entire section of our blog devoted to them.

They moved about five years ago - the kids were off to college - but they still live somewhere in the area because we'd see them at the market or driving around. Odd thing was late last week, I noticed a van slowly circling the neighborhood several times. I finally looked up from the desk in time to see the driver - good old Alice... I snapped a quick pic because I knew there'd be a few friends saying I probably imagined it or need my eyes checked.

Mike in Seattle said:
We used to have the Kravitzes next door. We tried loads of times to chat with them, but to no avail. Other neighbors said they were always odd and kept to themselves. She was always getting a step-stool to look over the fence when she thought we weren't around. Trying to see in the den window or the garage window or breakfast room window. When the moving van arrived with our stuff one Saturday morning, she was upstairs watching everything as it came off the truck. Fortunately, it started to drizzle about the time all the boxes were unloaded and all of the furniture had to be wrapped up - I'm sure THAT killed her. It was like Lucy & Ethel watching Tallulah Bankhead move in next door.

They also copied everything we did. We put in a fountain, they do. We bought table & chairs & umbrellas for the deck, within 24 hours the truck from Home Depot is making a delivery. First Christmas, we put up one test string to compare C9 and C7 bulbs. Opted for the larger. She had "Abner" out early the next morning stringing lights - unbeknownst to her, we'd laid in a big supply of the bigger bulbed strings after our test the night before. They turned on their lights (single string of smaller size going along the eaves)...and then ours came on - roof outlined, every peak & valley, mini lights in the windows. Abner had to go out early and add more the next morning. I had an entire section of our blog devoted to them.

They moved about five years ago - the kids were off to college - but they still live somewhere in the area because we'd see them at the market or driving around. Odd thing was late last week, I noticed a van slowly circling the neighborhood several times. I finally looked up from the desk in time to see the driver - good old Alice... I snapped a quick pic because I knew there'd be a few friends saying I probably imagined it or need my eyes checked.

I would have a lot of fun with the Keeping up with the Jones' thing. lol lol lol
I would change things around every few days. Move one thing into the garage and switch. I wouldn't want to give the poor husband a heart attack though. :rolleyes:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I have one who discusses his crack habit at 8 in the morning. I've called the police on them before as he was beating his wife. I try and stay out of his way now.

Another with a rooster that never shuts up. In the city it is not legal. These are the same folks who slaughtered a goat in their driveway for a celebration they were having. I cried for a day when I figured what the heck was going on. Their children throw rocks and sticks at my dogs. I have never seen a parent from this house monitor their kids in 10 years (I believe they have 9 kids in the household). They take my cans out of my recycling, which I don't mind but think is strange.

Two doors down is a man who breeds fighting pits. Many calls against him. I don't blame the breed - I blame him. He also likes to ride his Harley back and forth down the alley after 11 on the weekends. I stay way out of his way.

I do want my dogs to bark (reference above drugs/pits etc). Single girl in bad neighborhood - I have spread the word that my dogs bite (though they never have). I am very aware of their barking however and will put them in immediately if it's out of line or for the wrong reasons. Never worried about leaves from others trees. That's just nature to me and sometimes nature cannot be controlled, try as I might. I don't like to get involved as you might ascertain. We have our own Block Bully for that.

If I were you, I'd invest in some protection. Just my 2 cents.

The Shirt

Practically Family
It's amazing what it does to your head when you live in a terrible neighborhood. I fret now at other people's houses when say they leave the garage door open for more than a minute or so. I grew up in a very nice neighborhood so this has been quite a learning experience. I do have escape routes from every room in the house. Something large and iron to smack them with in every room. New locks at every possible entry. Multiple ones at that. I'm not really into guns, probably more likely used on myself accidentally then ever used against someone. I have more motion lighting than you can shake a stick at. Bike locks on the gates....etc.

I've had very little actual trouble personally at my place. Although someone likes to hang out on my patio and eat hoho's while I'm not home. We've only had graffiti once and one window smash in 10 years. I feel pretty lucky.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
It's amazing what it does to your head when you live in a terrible neighborhood. I fret now at other people's houses when say they leave the garage door open for more than a minute or so. I grew up in a very nice neighborhood so this has been quite a learning experience. I do have escape routes from every room in the house. Something large and iron to smack them with in every room. New locks at every possible entry. Multiple ones at that. I'm not really into guns, probably more likely used on myself accidentally then ever used against someone. I have more motion lighting than you can shake a stick at. Bike locks on the gates....etc.

I've had very little actual trouble personally at my place. Although someone likes to hang out on my patio and eat hoho's while I'm not home. We've only had graffiti once and one window smash in 10 years. I feel pretty lucky.

Well its great to hear that you have top security! Eating ho-hos on the patio....sounds like y'all got a stalker with a hostess fetish. And Mr. Powers, I like the way you think sir!

GranadaGuy617 said:
Well its great to hear that you have top security! Eating ho-hos on the patio....sounds like y'all got a stalker with a hostess fetish. And Mr. Powers, I like the way you think sir!

Ho ho?! I would fix that really quickly. I would set a couple of these up:
6120blackbig.jpg

From the product information:
Having trouble with returning animal "visitors"? Need a deterrent that will keep even the most daring animals away, time and time again? Then try the Scarecrow, a device that blasts animals with a blast of water when they approach. Simply push the mounting spike into your lawn, attach your garden hose and you'll have a foolproof animal deterring system. Requires a 9V battery (sold separately).

Its motion sensor activated. Place it near the table and your pest will get wet enough to get gone. ;) :p
I know I am devious and I think of these things all the time. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner