Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Well the Nut next door is back at it. Last week there was a big wind through the Bay Area and guess what???? Well, I'll be darned, but in the fall when there's a big wind, the leaves fall out of the tree and into her yard. Now the idiot is complaining and wants me to cut down all the trees in the yard. I think it's time for this 83 year old to be IN A HOME not at HOME. lol Can you believe that some dummy at work actually thinks that she has a right to complain??? "well, they're your leaves from your tree". Yeah dummy, that's part of living in this world and living in a city; trees grow and shed leaves.

She's an old woman. At least offer to rake the leaves for her. Even if she doesn't accept you have the moral high ground.

CataWhatas

New in Town
Most are fantastic. One is not.

My sons should not thank our armed forces for their service.

Nor should the oldest mow, rake leaves, shovel snow, help as needed the blind couple across the street.

We should not walk 4 blocks to service because the babies shouldn't be outside - I did stay home with the kids as newborns as needed but the twins are 2.

I should require my 4 year old to wear his coat properly - he wants to wear it backwards, then must always hold DH or my hand as his hood is in his face. Really, he's wearing the coat and staying by us, I don't see a problem.

Since the boys say please, thank you, excuse me and open or hold doors for others, we are too strict. If so, why is my kid wearing his coat backwards?

8pm is far too early to send under school aged children to bed. 9pm is mean for school aged children.

Hanging laundry out to dry and having chickens, ducks and guinea fowl in our fully fenced in yard devalues the neighborhood. But, we are at fault when her report on our illegal livestock turns into her being ticketed for several city ordinance violations. The birds are fully legal due to our lot size. Her unfenced pool, junker cars and three couches in the yard are not. But I didn't call because I'm too busy trying to keep my children from dumping mud on each other and the dogs to give a care for her issues, and I disagree to some extent on two of the issues.

Boys do not need to know how to garden. If they want to dig holes in my yard, I'm putting them to work.

The fruit trees hang over the fence. Not on her side, on the other neighbors. We didn't plant the trees and I'm not moving established, healthy fruit trees. We keep the trees well maintained, the neighbor gets the fruit on their side, we're all happy.

The lovely new to us slate roof looks dated and the darker blue gray color doesn't work with the pale gray wood siding. While I am not a huge fan of the current colors (too blah McMansion HOA looking), and I know the siding needs to be scraped and repainted - a non leaking roof won over painting.

Since I wear clothing that covers more than it shows, along with covering my hair, I'm clearly abused. Hrm, no. The reason for my attire would never tolerate an abusive spouse. I consider myself very blessed to be able to be home, raising kids and keeping a comfortable home.

Wow, I feel deprived. I have great neighbors, all around. We stand out in the yard and visit in the late afternoons, we watch each others' homes when we're out of town, we've even worked out how we mow our yards so you don't get a big ugly mowed/non-mowed line if we each can't get to the chore on the same day. When Hurricane Ike blew through here a few years ago knocking all of our fencing down, we got together and paid for our fences to be re-built (except my next door neighbor. Poor soul, he and his wife are a young couple, and he oh-so apologetically explained that he just couldn't afford the kind of fence we all wanted. I said "no problem, I'll pay for our common fence. Perhaps someday you'll give me a hand when I need it."). We do have one neighbor across the street we all call Mrs. Kravitz, as she's the neighborhood busy body. But she's harmless, and her kids were always very polite and well behaved.

Perhaps one of us should stir the pot...

Wow, I feel deprived. I have great neighbors, all around. We stand out in the yard and visit in the late afternoons, we watch each others' homes when we're out of town, we've even worked out how we mow our yards so you don't get a big ugly mowed/non-mowed line if we each can't get to the chore on the same day. When Hurricane Ike blew through here a few years ago knocking all of our fencing down, we got together and paid for our fences to be re-built (except my next door neighbor. Poor soul, he and his wife are a young couple, and he oh-so apologetically explained that he just couldn't afford the kind of fence we all wanted. I said "no problem, I'll pay for our common fence. Perhaps someday you'll give me a hand when I need it."). We do have one neighbor across the street we all call Mrs. Kravitz, as she's the neighborhood busy body. But she's harmless, and her kids were always very polite and well behaved.

Perhaps one of us should stir the pot...

You should thank God you live in that gated community. :p

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
OK, the old nut is back at it again. I was spraying the magnolia tree with this natural bonide brand spray that suffocates insects. I've been spraying it every summer for 3 years. It's never stained her house and her husband is quite aware that I use it. There's only a mist that touches her house. So anyway, I'm spraying the tree and the idiot comes out screaming and stands in the spray. So I tell the loon not to stand in it, that it won't stain the house, but I'll hose down the side after I'm done. She takes off. So after I'm done, I change nozzles and hose down the side of her garage. The idiot comes out AGAIN screaming. I tell her that it's the clean water. She says; "clean water, spray water I don't care, now this side of the house looks different color than the other side". So I told her, to go hose down the end of the house, I'm only spraying what I touched.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
My sister had a neighbor who liked to set off fireworks, discharge firearms, build fires into which he tossed spray cans, all at 3 AM. One day he set fire to his house, and when the fire dept. arrived he started shooting at them. They had to call the SWAT team, who found him hiding under her back porch with an AR15. She thought her troubles were over when he went to prison, but he was released after 2 years, and it was back to business as usual. Needless to say, she moved.

Last edited:

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I seem pretty blessed to live in a good neighborhood. We're one of the youngest couples in this 'hood and most of the neighbors keep to themselves. The ones that don't are VERY friendly and generous. All the neighbors are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59Lark

Practically Family
at the present time I own two house, one is in a working class area and the neighbours don't bother anyone at all, and mind their own business. Hardly anyone complains but the odour of pot and long grass and some stealing from sheds but I have not had that problems as my two labs keep the sticky fingers off my property at night. The other property which my daughter lives in, and I will have to sell soon, the neighbours seem to be in everyones business and if you don't cut the grass or keep up the look, they will stare you down and actually someone cut the grass when I didn't do it fast enough, and someone commented on how long it took for me to get the flowerbeds fixed up and the old man I had doing it said, well sonny I am 75 yrs old and it takes me a while . The only problem with the old house is the one neighbours who party outside in the summer on long weekends, I voted for new central air and thank god for it when they are up till 3am . and at least no fireworks or guns. 59lark

3fingers

One Too Many
A crazy neighbor motivated my wife and I to prioritize buying a home and move away from her. Our little neighborhood was quiet and everyone got along well except for her and her daughter. It was a great favor she did us and karma moved into our former home to torture her.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Imagine my horror when I discovered this book about a family who lives at the end of the block where I was buying a house:

Killers in the Family: Inside a Real Family of Criminals Bound by Blood.

Spoiler alert: most of the family members are now serving long prison sentences. Haven't had any trouble from them.

However, I do have some nutty people living nearby:

"INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Two people were hurt after a crash following what appeared to be a burglary at a home on the near east side of Indianapolis.

"According to Indianapolis Metropolitan police, the break-in happened at New York and LaSalle streets around 3:30 a.m. Monday.

"The person inside the home called friends during the burglary, and one of them confronted the suspect, grabbing on to a white van as it was leaving the scene.

"The van traveled for about half a block before crashing into a bridge support on New York Street. The man holding on to the van and the driver were hurt. Both were taken to area hospitals with serious injuries, police said." Source: Fox 59 News.

This is in the same neighborhood where residents thought it would be an awesome idea to put the city jail there. Savvier people from surrounding areas voted it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto