Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's A2 ?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm a pretty slim guy, being at 6'0 1/2" and 160 lbs, but I have to say, my G-1 jacket (by Sporty's Pilot shop, nothing upper-end) is almost as baggy as President Bush's jacket that he's wearing in the picture above, not that it's actually a G-1 there, but the fit is similar. I think the waist on mine is more trim, but the sleeves are a bit on the baggy side. As for Obama's A-2, I can't say he looks absolutely awful in it, but the fit is pretty poor, yeah. In theory, I'm not a fan of modern "relaxed fit" jackets or clothing in general, but it seems to be a prevailing feature in much of the clothing manufactured. That, or it's almost ridiculously slim-fit/tight.

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Hacker here is your AFI 2903 note the red

I'm at a loss here...I fly within these regs every day -- it says it is authorized unless restricted. You're welcome to post links to the written guidance that provides those specific safety of flight concerns, because I don't know of one. There's not one in AETC, and guys are flying with them every day. I'll take some photos in the next couple days if that's what it takes.

Coopers and Saddlery had the side panles. just gave one away to a ROTC kid. It was not modified by pop or his 4 sons.

That's interesting -- I have owned both as well, including this 1988 Cooper that I just sold -- and they did not have a side panel.

75ef9d43.jpg

0fdbb651.jpg

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hacker I am just saying that the reg states that it is up to the command/wing to say if it is safe to fly in an A-2. AMC at Dover AFB says no. The boys(girls included) in USAFE were not allowed to wear their A-2s in flight. AETC is another animal and you may be allowed to wear em in flight. Aim High and keep the blue side up (for landings anyway)

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
He actually rose to the rank of Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He served in the PTO and was in Naval Aviation, though not an aviator. He may have achieved the second highest military rank of any modern president…Ike being first.

AF

Nixon was a Commandera in the Navy.

I think you overlooked a few, LBJ, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt (I am only including 20th Century on) to name a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_rank

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This thread has been cleaned up a bit (and some good content removed with the junk, unfortunately). Please stick with jacket talk and away from politics or Presidential slapping.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Now THAT is a good looking, well fitting jacket! :eusa_clap

Thanks, Zombie.

Again, it is an issued Saddlery. I'm repeating this because I want all to understand that the issued Saddlery was not the same jacket as the orange label Cooper...even though Neil Cooper made them both. The Saddlery A-2s that were made for the USAF in 1988 and in 1996 were made from thicker goatskin, they had a better finish and had better hardwear than civilian Coopers from the same time frame. They were just more substantial jackets and, IMO, were as good of a quality as some very expensive repros. To this day, I would put the '88 Saddlery's goatskin up against any I've seen, including that found in older B and C series G-1s.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Nixon was a Commandera in the Navy.

I think you overlooked a few, LBJ, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt (I am only including 20th Century on) to name a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_rank

Hi Jaguar66,

Yes, I actually found several references to Nixon's rank...some said Commander and some said Lt. Commander. I didn't want to be the one to promote him, so I stuck with Lt. Commander. That would make him the same rank as LBJ, and LBJ was a reservist. Harry Truman finally achieved the rank of Colonel, and that would outrank a Lt. Commander, but I didn't count it because Truman achieved that rank later, while he was in the reserves. He may have even been VP or President when he got his bird, I don't know. I didn't count TR because I wasn't sure when he made Colonel. Was it in the 1900s or before? Anyhow, I didn't count him as a modern president, though I understand some folks may.

So in short, I scored Nixon highest because he became at least a Lt. Commander while on active duty and I was sure it was in the 1900s.

AF

PS. Mods, I want to keep it at least a little about jackets, so please let me say....TR’s son wore a flight jacket in WWI, I once saw a photo of Nixon dwearing the G-1 he always wanted when he was a ground pounder in the Navy, and I understand that General Macarthur was wearing an A-2 when President Truman fired him. :)

DustyUSAF

New in Town
I do believe that Obama is wearing a current issue '07 Cockpit USA jacket in the photo. I feel bad for him, since this is the same jacket I was issued and it is horrible. It weighs a ton, it's very stiff, and the color reminds me of a bottle of Yoo-Hoo. I respect him for wearing the same jacket as the troops, but hopefully after he got back aboard Air Force One he realized that we need a better jacket. I have been trying like crazy to hunt down a '99 Avirex or even a '96 Saddlery to wear in place of my current issued jacket. The bomber community takes our "bomber jackets" pretty seriously, and I know many dudes that actually wear theirs in flight.

There was one comment earlier about aircrew not wanting to wear the jacket. I will say that when I see someone who is not a flyer wearing an A-2 Leather "Flying Jacket", it loses a little bit of its "prestige". To me, the A-2 represents the end of an 8 year long journey from civilian to Mission Qualified pilot. So, it does bother me a little when I see non-rated officers and enlisted wearing it, but if you're authorized to do so, go for it. I'm going to continue to wear the heck out of mine, regardless.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
The modern A2 looks better on bigger guys. And few jackets look good when worn over a bulletproof vest - a popular fashion item in Afghanistan these days.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey Dusty, Look at it this way a civilian wearing an A-2 is a compliment to the aviators (enlisted and commissioned, and civilian) past and present. Imitation is the highest form of flattery...

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Hey Dusty, Look at it this way a civilian wearing an A-2 is a compliment to the aviators (enlisted and commissioned, and civilian) past and present. Imitation is the highest form of flattery...

I think he was referencing the trend of active duty USAF non-aviators maneuvering their way through the regulations to be issued and wear the A-2.

I agree that there's a type of compliment being made when civilians want to wear issued military clothing...so long as it isn't the "wannabe" types who are doing it. Big difference in my mind between guys who are gear enthusiasts and wannabe-military-types.

I think he was referencing the trend of active duty USAF non-aviators maneuvering their way through the regulations to be issued and wear the A-2.

I agree that there's a type of compliment being made when civilians want to wear issued military clothing...so long as it isn't the "wannabe" types who are doing it. Big difference in my mind between guys who are gear enthusiasts and wannabe-military-types.

Problem is, no way to tell without meeting them which they are! My son is a huge history, especially WWII buff. He got into reenacting some years back. Some great guys who take the gear, etc. Seriously. Also, lots of wannabe losers. I kinda feel sorry for those folks. Mostly lonely nerds with no friends. I'd take 'em all as a compliment. Servicemen are their heroes. Good deal!

yar

New in Town
Who are those "wannabe losers" or "wannabe-military-types" that you are talking about and why are they "mostly lonely nerds with no friends"? Civilians who wear the A2 only because they think its a good looking and well made jacket? Just curious :confused:

Diamondback1

New in Town
I do believe that Obama is wearing a current issue '07 Cockpit USA jacket in the photo. I feel bad for him, since this is the same jacket I was issued and it is horrible. It weighs a ton, it's very stiff, and the color reminds me of a bottle of Yoo-Hoo. I respect him for wearing the same jacket as the troops, but hopefully after he got back aboard Air Force One he realized that we need a better jacket. I have been trying like crazy to hunt down a '99 Avirex or even a '96 Saddlery to wear in place of my current issued jacket. The bomber community takes our "bomber jackets" pretty seriously, and I know many dudes that actually wear theirs in flight.

There was one comment earlier about aircrew not wanting to wear the jacket. I will say that when I see someone who is not a flyer wearing an A-2 Leather "Flying Jacket", it loses a little bit of its "prestige". To me, the A-2 represents the end of an 8 year long journey from civilian to Mission Qualified pilot. So, it does bother me a little when I see non-rated officers and enlisted wearing it, but if you're authorized to do so, go for it. I'm going to continue to wear the heck out of mine, regardless.
Understandable. Personally, I wouldn't wear anything "issued" I didn't earn. To each his/her own however.

DustyUSAF

New in Town

That's more along the lines of what I was getting at.
I don't have a problem with civilians wearing the A-2, it's a great jacket. I wish I had a "non-issued" A-2 that I could wear with civilian clothes. I think what Hacker means by "wannabe-military-types" are these young guys that wear leather jackets and try to pick up chicks by telling them they are a pilot. I am a bit of a history buff/gear enthusiast myself, and it's easy to tell the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner