Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd State Laws!

Feraud

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
I was born and raised in Jersey and lived there until I was 31. No one can merge, either. That is painfully evident when driving in Philadelphia. 99% of the time when someone merges incorrectly they have a yellow license plate!!! But I don't think NJ has the worst drivers. That goes to another state I won't mention on here lol
Go ahead. You can say New York.
We pride ourselves in permitting idiots to operate large, fast moving, deadly weapons while paying more attention to texting their friends than watching the road.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Yeps - the shooting Welshmen law applies in Chester too, as far as I know. Being from Chester and indeed owning a longbow myself, I always found that hilarious as a lot of my friends are Welsh and my sister was born just across the border and so is technically Welsh!

Another crazy English law is that every male over the age of 7 years must practice the longbow on the village green every sunday.

And a law that is still very much in force that our American cousins may find amusing is that in order to own a television set in these British Isles, one must purchase a license!

sixties.nut

And This would explain...

...Why your programming is far superior to ours. Just MHO... not to start any flame wars on this subject with my other cousins.lol

Missy Hellfire said:
And a law that is still very much in force that our American cousins may find amusing is that in order to own a television set in these British Isles, one must purchase a license!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
sixties.nut said:
...Why your programming is far superior to ours. Just MHO...
It's funny how many Americans think this and how many Brits would dispute it..........:rolleyes:

cupcake

Familiar Face
There is a law here (Perth, Australia) which is along the lines of "if you're digging a hole and a police officer orders you to stop, he must give you his horse"
I'm guessing it's left over from the gold rush days.
It's always amusing to watch people try their luck and immediately start digging whenever a horse riding policeman is in the area haha

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Missy Hellfire said:

Missy Hellfire,

It was my understanding that you could own a TV set without a license. You just couldn't turn it on!

And for my fellow Yanks, it is indeed very strongly enforced. They have vans with monitoring equipment that prowl the streets seeking electronic emissions from TV sets. If a house is emitting such signals and isn't on record as having a license the occupants of the house are fined.

I wonder how much of a challenge the new LCD and plasma screens to detect as compared to the old CRT models?

Cheers,
Tom

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Go ahead. You can say New York.
We pride ourselves in permitting idiots to operate large, fast moving, deadly weapons while paying more attention to texting their friends than watching the road.

lol Ding Ding Ding!!

And Delaware & Maryland. But PA can't seem to understand the concept of a turn signal so we're not that great, either.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Tango - As far as I understood the blurb on the back of the license, if you have a TV on your premises, whether switched on or not, which is capable of functioning it must have a license. The same now applies for computers that can pick up tv as well. It is however only one license per household so you can own as many television receiving things as you wish! I do however rather enjoy the absence of commercials on the BBC channels and the uninterrupted programming that is the result.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Missy Hellfire said:
Tango - As far as I understood the blurb on the back of the license, if you have a TV on your premises, whether switched on or not, which is capable of functioning it must have a license. The same now applies for computers that can pick up tv as well. It is however only one license per household so you can own as many television receiving things as you wish! I do however rather enjoy the absence of commercials on the BBC channels and the uninterrupted programming that is the result.

Wouldn't be the first time a base gave erroneous information to new arrivals! :D Of course, many Americans arriving for tours in the UK arrive with televisions that cannot receive PAL signals so that may be what they meant. Such TVs could be used to watch NTSC tapes and DVDs but not PAL broadcast TV. An argument could be made regarding functionality in that case.

On the other hand, if you have a TV sitting in a house not plugged in to power it probably won't be picked up by the monitor vans.

Myself, I had a multi-system TV and VCR when I arrived due to purchasing them while in Germany. I liked a lot of British TV so didn't complain about paying the tax.

Cheers,
Tom

cupcake

Familiar Face
Tango Yankee said:
Wouldn't be the first time a base gave erroneous information to new arrivals! :D Of course, many Americans arriving for tours in the UK arrive with televisions that cannot receive PAL signals so that may be what they meant. Such TVs could be used to watch NTSC tapes and DVDs but not PAL broadcast TV. An argument could be made regarding functionality in that case.

On the other hand, if you have a TV sitting in a house not plugged in to power it probably won't be picked up by the monitor vans.

Myself, I had a multi-system TV and VCR when I arrived due to purchasing them while in Germany. I liked a lot of British TV so didn't complain about paying the tax.

Cheers,
Tom

This conversation just brings to mind a certain episode of "The Young Ones" :lol:

davestlouis

Practically Family
Here's a city law from lovely St Louis MO, USA...
It’s illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.

and another...
A milk man may not run while on duty

And a beaut from University City MO...
One may not honk another’s horn.

From my home state of Ohio...
No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.

And the City of Akron...
No person shall solicit sex from another of the same gender if it offends the second person.

And the Queen City, Cincinnati...my hometown
Anal intercourse is banned.

Oxford, home of Miami University...
It is illegal to drive around the town square more than 100 times in a single session
It’s illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man’s picture.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Kentucky state law regarding blue-dyed ducklings...
One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

No person shall sell, exchange, offer to sell or exchange, display, or possess living baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or rabbits which have been dyed or colored; nor dye or color any baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or rabbits; nor sell, exchange, offer to sell or exchange or to give away baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl or rabbits, under two (2) months of age in any quantity less than six (6), except that any rabbit weighing three (3) pounds or more may be sold at an age of six (6) weeks. Any person who violates this section shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500.

History: Amended 1972 Ky. Acts ch 374, sec 1. --Created 1966 Ky. Acts ch. 215, sec.

davestlouis

Practically Family
In Arkansas...
A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.

And in Little Rock...
It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, California is a bit weird...

Women may not drive in a house coat.

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship. (I would love to know how they plan to stop them).

Bowling on the sidewalk is illegal.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.

Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.

No one may annoy a lizard in a city park.

There are pages and pages of them! This is an odd place.

Edward

Bartender
I always thought the US immigration form you get handed on the plane was hilarious, particularly the "are you entering the US for the purposes of committing an act of terrorism?" question. I'm not sure whether they think terrorists are actually that dumb, or whether, if you did do something like that, they'd come after you with a shocked "but you lied on the form!" lol

I remember reading that in the state of Washington (?) it was illegal to have sexual relations with a virgin - even if you have married them... Then there is somewhere in the US where it is illegal to have sexual relations with farm machinery. That they felt the need to pass such a law.... :eek:

Missy Hellfire said:
Another crazy English law is that every male over the age of 7 years must practice the longbow on the village green every sunday.

This is true.... Of course, it dates back to the time when it was considered that it might be necessary for the King to raise a citizen army to defend an attack from the French... The last time a feudal army was raised was 1746 - Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite army, slaughtered at Culloden Moor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran