Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off color comments

EricH

One of the Regulars
Apparently hats are alive and well judging by the current Ebay prices. Those of us at it for a while have filled our racks, boxes, and closets with all manner and color of hat. And, to judge by recent posts, Art and the other resident hatters are pretty much able to make a living. Now, though, is the time for us snobs to act and start broadening the palette a bit on color beyond the gray, black, and browns. Look at an old Whippet advertisement and you see there was a rainbow of color choices. (How come those never show up?)

So what are the missing colors gentlemen (and ladies) that we need to complete lol our collection. Perhaps we can offer our hatters a little leverage to put on their felt suppliers.

I'd personally like some colors with purples (well maybe violet) and blues in them. Something a little richer and brighter. Good for a colorful suit or a nice light felt summer hat.

What are your thoughts?

Eric
(Still pining for that violet Citation)

Feraud

Bartender
I am with you on this although I think black is not as accepted as it should be. Black hats need a bit more acceptance than a religious or gangster icon.
Going forward I am only adding interesting color choices to my hat collection.
The latest are

Knox Flying Cloud in slate blue-
DSC00853.jpg

Stetson Whippet in olive -
DSC01297.jpg

Penny's Marathon in black -
DSC00520.jpg

Baron Kurtz has a favorite of mine, a peach Portis. That is an amazing hat!

EricH said:
Look at an old Whippet advertisement and you see there was a rainbow of color choices. (How come those never show up?)

Might it be that while they made 'em (fedoras in general, Whippets included, of course) in a wide variety of colors, the standard grays and browns sold in the largest numbers and for that reason more of them are still with us?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Marty. It looks off white in the photo but its white white.
BK, that is a vintage Knox Vagabond.

that's what sucks about collecting, right? All those things you gotta add to the collection, and they're rare enough that you're likely to see, what, 2 of them in your lifetime. You can't afford to be picky about sizes! I feel for you.

(for the record, i do not collect. I only keep what'll fit me)

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
And if "Mothers for a Safe Internet" read it you could find yourselves in jail! Trading babies, indeed! Dis-Gus-Ting.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, the both of you!

;)

bk
Not me. I am keepin' the hat! :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BK, I don't intentionally seek out hats that don't fitbut sometimes as you alluded I am faced with hat of such beauty and rarity that I can't stop myself.
When I find another white Vagabond in perfect condition I will gladly let this one go. It will make someone with a size 7-1/2 really happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner