Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

off topic- Medical Tourism

Status
Not open for further replies.

crwritt

One Too Many

My husband and I plan to visit Costa Rica in March. This year I turned 50 and that means I should have a colonoscopy. I did some research and found that a colonoscopy at a hospital in Costa Rica specializing in medical tourism will cost a mere $315 versus the more than $1000 my husband paid last year for his here in the US.

http://www.hcbinternational.com/medical-tourism-hospital-clinica-biblica.html?from=menu

The only problem for me is that I would be travelling (bus to Boston, plane to Miami, then to CR) on tuesday at the same time doing the colonoscopy prep. The procedure would be Wed AM.

Am I asking for trouble?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I am very familiar with Costa Rica and my sister is an MD there. I do not support the idea of "medical tourism" and most serious doctors do not. However, if you insist on getting a procedure done in Costa Rica Clinica Biblia is the only place I would consider, though I am not recommending that you do this. As for the prep, you do not want to do that while traveling. You need a day in a stationary environment. This will detract from your vacation.

M8

crwritt

One Too Many
It is Clinica Biblica. I am leery of attempting the prep during travel, though when my husband did his, he said it wasn't all that bad. The cost savings is so tempting, though.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I thought I would take this opportunity to say...

We are going to let this run for a while, but generally we are going to strive to stay on mission and keep our posts to a Golden Era / Fedora Lounge Community related topic range.

We want to keep this place on-point, interesting, and engaging for everyone involved, and that may at times mean reigning in posts that would be better suited for other forums.

Thanks!

And crwritt, not that I am not sympathetic! All the best to you and good luck!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
We are going to let this run for a while, but generally we are going to strive to stay on mission and keep our posts to a Golden Era / Fedora Lounge Community related topic range.

We want to keep this place on-point, interesting, and engaging for everyone involved, and that may at times mean reigning in posts that would be better suited for other forums.

How is this thread more off-topic than threads on fake (Kitty, you know you can't say that here!), mammograms, prostate screening, favorite sandwiches or costumed squirrels?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Not that I am speaking for Hemingway Jones but I personally think those should go too.

Yeah, it's just a really slippery slope determining what's "on" and "off-topic". Someone's always bound to be insulted - what makes their post get nixed while others stay? I mean, some people on the Lounge vent their personal sob stories too, and IMO doesn't really have a place in a public forum either, yet someone has to determine that it's on-topic enough to stay here.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I think you'll be spending a lot of time policing the forum as there seem to be as many posts off topic as on topic.

Back to the matter at hand, have you shopped around other clinics in your area to determine if you can find a lower rate for the procedure? You may be able to find a less expensive clinic. I personally would not wish to do the prep away from home. The prep seems to vary a great deal from person to person. For me it was rather bad.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
Yeah, it's just a really slippery slope determining what's "on" and "off-topic". Someone's always bound to be insulted - what makes their post get nixed while others stay? I mean, some people on the Lounge vent their personal sob stories too, and IMO doesn't really have a place in a public forum either, yet someone has to determine that it's on-topic enough to stay here.
Exactly and that's what your friendly neighborhood bartenders are here for! Thanks for helping us make the point, Kitty; I agree with you entirely, and it was just those sort of threads that have inspired us to reign things in a bit, nothing radical, just a wee bit.

As always, Kitty, thanks for your support. We appreciate it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner