Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, it's the UPS song...

Shearer

Practically Family
This has always been a pet peeve of mine...

Yeah, it's sad that some people are only being exposed to new things through TV commercials. You'd think Audrey would be a big enough icon by now, but go figure.

It drives me batty, though, when advertisers use inappropriate songs in their commercials. The one that's always driven me over the edge is Carnival Cruise line (or whichever, I can't remember) using Iggy Pop's Lust for Life. And was it Volkswagen using Nick Drake's Pink Moon?

I always want to say to the advertisers, "I do not think this song means what you think it means!" [huh]

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postal Service are one of my favourite bands! How dare they mar the song by using it on an advert.

That said I did discover Joanna Newsom and Devendra Banhart via adverts, but they were both new songs (used on an Orange advert and Cathedral Cheese ad respectively).

Ignorance is one of the worst human traits.
Ever.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Joanna Newsom was used in an advertisement? I loved her first CD, but I can't listen to it anymore because it makes me cry!

The latest ad that's bugging me is the AARP commercial where they use "Everybody's Happy Nowadays" by the Buzzcocks. It's one of my all-time favorite songs, I'm so afraid they are gonna ruin it for me!

Chanfan

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
The latest ad that's bugging me is the AARP commercial where they use "Everybody's Happy Nowadays" by the Buzzcocks. It's one of my all-time favorite songs, I'm so afraid they are gonna ruin it for me!

Indeed, that one has been worrying me. It's been long enough where I expect songs from my era to have long since sold out, but AARP? Nice way to remind me that I'm old!

I like the Buzzcocks well enough that I doubt it will ruin it for me, however. :)

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Pigeon Toe:

They used This Side of the Blue in an advert about the New York blackout.

If her first album made you cry don't buy her second album! I'm hard as nails and it broke my heart :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart