Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OH MY GOD!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
It's rather sad to think that a suit has come to represent nothing more than a uniform of repression that must be avoided as much as possible,even if it means wearing an absolutely goofy looking getup like that.[huh]

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
If they can sell sport coats made of cheap material with very large logos on the back, they can sell these. At least that logoed coat covers all of you.

I would wonder what a business meeting could look like with everyone wearing one. T shirts with tuxedos printed on them is better than this!

Like Mr. Deckard said. Just buy a cheap suit and let the scissors cut through!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Sefton said:
It's rather sad to think that a suit has come to represent nothing more than a uniform of repression that must be avoided as much as possible,even if it means wearing an absolutely goofy looking getup like that.[huh]

That is a depressing thought. Makes one wonder if there's any hope left, or if we've sloppy-casual-wear'd ourselves into purgatory...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think I see the purpose

The photo above from the site tells the tale. These are actually perfect for the telecommuter who needs to do a video conference with the office via webcam. That's the use they show. You can throw this thing on, do the conference and look like you're not sitting around in your jammies, then shed it for the rest of the day.
Or, a person who is traveling on business can use the same laptop/webcam setup to check in early and look like they're up-and-at-it, then shed it and go back to bed (or just do the day's work in less businesslike clothes).
This is made for a new breed in the workforce who will probably end up being transitional. They work from home while being electronically tethered to an office somewhere else, and the standards haven't yet shifted for dress. So The Boss, who is suspicious of such an arrangement anyway, doesn't want to bring you up on screen at HIS office where HE is forced to wear a jacket and tie after fighting traffic for two hours, only to find an employee grinning back from their couch in a Dead Kennedys T-shirt.
Personally, I think it is a wiseacre's idea of trying to get away with something. But if these catch on, I'm skipping straight to the nursing home!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I would rather that one of my people were in their T-shirt on a teleconference, at least they weren't misrepresenting themselves. It's all about character.

i agree Hem, i find this concept really sad. and why stop there ? why not get a backdrop with a swanky office of your choice printed on it ? depressing. the idea of 'fake' is very strange when you start to really get into it.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p :p :p

If wearing a suit is so TERRIBLE and difficult...why not let me cut you in half? Doesn't make much sense but you get the general idea. LAzy Jack Arses

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well first question about this by me (ignorant female)

1. Are suits, even ill fitting modern ones, really -that- uncomfortable?
I guess I am trying to figure out if its like pantyhose and girdles bunching in all the wrong 'makes ones knickers ride up' or bra wires poking you, sort of ways of uncomfortable.
Seems to me that a suit is just a shirt and trousers and a coat.....is the cut really that bad that people feel like they need alternates?

Feraud

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Well first question about this by me (ignorant female)

1. Are suits, even ill fitting modern ones, really -that- uncomfortable?
I guess I am trying to figure out if its like pantyhose and girdles bunching in all the wrong 'makes ones knickers ride up' or bra wires poking you, sort of ways of uncomfortable.
Seems to me that a suit is just a shirt and trousers and a coat.....is the cut really that bad that people feel like they need alternates?

Personally I find low cut rise dress pants uncomfortable. Dress shirts tend to untuck with walking and any slight bend. This is not necessarily uncomfortable but unsightly and slightly annoying to me. Most suit jackets are comfortable as long as your arms to not move. Badly cut jackets make every arm movement a major clothing shifting event!

I would never say this is as uncomfortable as being encased in a girdle or poked by bra wires. Not that I would know...
There is a noticable difference in suit cuts if one is informed.

Then again, ignorance is bliss. :)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Personally, I don't find suits to be uncomfortable at all. Maybe it's just because I've lucked in to getting some fairly nice ones (all modern so far) cheap off eBay - I don't know how a really low, low end modern suit would feel. My nicest suit so far, the dark blue w/ light blue & brown subtle pinstripe Jos. A. Bank Signature suit that's been seen here on the Lounge, is great to wear apart from its armholes. I'm sure that when I can find a vintage suit in my size, it'll be better still.

So, no, I don't understand why suits are considered uncomfortable. Then again, I've never understood why so many people today consider jeans to be amazingly comfortable - I've always thought khakis or, preferably, wool trousers to be far, far more comfy than jeans.

EDIT: Yeah, low rise men's pants are horrid. I can't stand them, so I can see not liking those - and apparently, they're all the rage these days. All my suits have pants that come up to my navel, so while I'm not to the point of vintage high-waisted pants I'm ahead of the wretched low-rise junk of today's hip styles.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know anymore. Am I the crazy one thinking suits are made wrong nowadays with their low armholes and hip hugging trousers? Billions of people can't be wrong can they? Could my want of the return of the comfortable suit be the complete opposite of what men want in general? There is a reason why they are selling a conference call business bib. People care, though they just don't care to the point that they need to really put in the effort. Only just enough is good enough. Senator Jack said that a man should be dressed as though he were going someplace better than where he is at the moment. These men are going back to the bathroon.

Feraud

Bartender
I also think being "in the know" has something to do with it. Unless one is shown and experiences what quality is, we tend to settle for what we are given. I have experienced this with hats, flight jackets, and shoes.

Modern man spends a lot of money on convenience and prestige. I cannot believe a bespoke suit (or as close as possible) would not appeal to people.

I have been meaning to ask... with the knowledge and resources we have on the Lounge, is it possible to get quality constructed suits made?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou