Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Anneloes

New in Town
My regular (reading) glasses, which I got at a regular optician's. I don't wear them all day long but do need them for watching tv/using my computer/reading, etcetera. I'm still able to see without them but I get a horrible head ache if I do that for too long at a time.

The second pic is a little weird, haha.

photoon20091219at1240.jpg

photoon20091219at12402.jpg

Anneloes

New in Town
cherry lips said:
Annaloes, those specs suit your pretty face perfectly. Are they Versace?

Haha, no! They are actually the home brand of the store I got them at lol ! (Specsavers, for the Dutch on here - the model is called Blackberry)

Inky

One Too Many
alright, ladies I need your help!!

I have strange vision in that i have a very nearsighted right eye and a moderately far sighted left eye. I've worn glasses off and on to correct the nearsighted eye but they always make me dizzy due to the distance of the lens from my eye, so the best solution has been wearing one right contact and nothing in my left eye.

With age approaching FAST my eyes have decided to no longer cooperate but one wants to take over and it's requiring me to start wearing reading glasses for my job as a transcriptionist, reading, sewing and knitting. Basically I need to have my reading glasses with me handy at all times throughout the day.

Did ladies use eyeglass chains in the 40's? if so, does anyone have any pictures, ideas, etc? I don't want a modern beaded one, it's not my style, and the black cord ones seem so sporty. Here I am in my frames before getting the prescription filled (ignore the writing on the left lens!).

4413449169_c2767e747a.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
I don't know about the chains, but I just have to say those glasses ROCK, Inky!

(and as it is a practicality thing, I would assume that someone had to have thought of an eyeglass chain before the ugly black cord-y ones!)
Inky said:

Inky

One Too Many
Lenore said:
I don't know about the chains, but I just have to say those glasses ROCK, Inky!

(and as it is a practicality thing, I would assume that someone had to have thought of an eyeglass chain before the ugly black cord-y ones!)

I would think so too! i'm trying to find more info with my google-fu right now :)

thank you for the feedback on my glasses. they are new Shuron Nusir Royale's in Pewter with silver metal. I cannot say enough good things about Shuron quality and their customer service - I highly recommend them.

www.shuron.com

Cricket

Practically Family
I am not sure where, but I saw some photos of ladies with what appeared to be simple pearl eyeglass chains. I have also seen almost a geometric, square-shaped tortoise chains. And a few metal, floral, etc. pieces that caught my eye.

eyeglass_demo_photo_display.jpg

DSCN2198_display.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Cricket said:
I am not sure where, but I saw some photos of ladies with what appeared to be simple pearl eyeglass chains. I have also seen almost a geometric, square-shaped tortoise chains. And a few metal, floral, etc. pieces that caught my eye.

eyeglass_demo_photo_display.jpg

DSCN2198_display.jpg

oh i am loving that first one!! thanks cricket, going to see if i can find something along those lines.

Cricket

Practically Family
Inky said:
oh i am loving that first one!! thanks cricket, going to see if i can find something along those lines.

Yeah, I liked that one too. I wear glasses at night when I take my contacts out. I use to have a chain, but upon looking in the mirror at a glance one night, I realized how silly I looked. It was one of the glass, beaded ones, and it was not my style either.

I threw it away so I may be on the look out as well. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Inky, those are great specs -- my grandmother had exactly those same frames, and they lasted forever.

I've seen chains in photos going back at least to the '50s, including the beaded-plastic novelty styles, and I think before that it was relatively common to use a piece of narrow ribbon in whatever color you wanted, tied around the stems of the glasses and secured with a little foam rubber sleeve thing that would slide over the end of the stems as a comfort pad

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Some of these frames are amazing! I bought a pair of blue upswept frames from Retrospecs in St Albans about 9 months ago and I get so many lovely comments about them. The only problem is that because they're from the 50s (and apparently women had smaller faces back then..?) the frames don't extend outwards enough for my liking. I think next time I'll have to go for some non-vintage ones, you've all inspired me enough!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Medvssa said:
I received the second pair of glasses :D :D I love them, I am gonna get prescription on these first :)

4111475589_d2352d7caa.jpg

:D

Men DO make passes at girls who wear glasses, but it all depends on their frames ;)

This picture reminds me that I have a pair of Donna Karan sunglasses around with a very similar shape and they were always really comfortable - I think I should just get my current prescription put into them.

I wear contact lenses for dancing and anything sporty - on the occasions when I swim lengths I like contacts so I can wear goggles and still see the clock at the end of the pool! But I don't like them for every day.

December

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
on the occasions when I swim lengths I like contacts so I can wear goggles and still see the clock at the end of the pool!

This is the most frustrating thing about glasses!! lol

These are mine, from Dead Men's Spex. I wear them everday and I get so many compliments on them- the first frame that have ever attracted any attention!

DSCF4636.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner