Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

kirawoidan

New in Town
I used to wear glasses until I had laser eye surgery when I was 17. Reading this thread makes me want to get a fake pair of glasses just for fun.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Though the librarian look can be so popular after 24 years of wearing glasses with vision that was 20/600 I had lasik eye surgery and I absolutely love it. It's miraculous!

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
here are my specs! yes, they're prescription
newglasses.JPG

Miss Bella, those are waaaay cute. My current specs are vintage-y as I'm afraid of buying vintage glasses that won't fit well.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
Ohh! I hate the phrase! My mom still uses it on me. If I only gave up the glasses, apparently I would have men lined up around the block. *rolls eyes*

I've tried finding a pair of vintage glasses, but haven't had any luck with any that fit my face and are afordable. So, I am in that vintage-esqe category as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fit the frame my dear.

from Allyn Scura's FAQ

http://www.allynscura.com/womensvintage_index.htm
Plus they have a nice return policy :)

How does the sizing work and what do all the numbers on the frames mean?
These numbers indicate the size of the frame fronts and temples. Specifically, numbers on the frame fronts refer to widths of one lens (at the widest points) and the distance between lenses (aka DBL), respectively. Usually conveyed in millimeters, the numbers 48-22, for example, mean the width of one lens is 48mm; bridge width or the distance between lenses is 22mm.

The numbers printed on the temples usually refer to the lengths of the temples. Before the eyewear industry shifted to the metric system exclusively, temples were often measured in inches. Given there are about 25mm per 1 inch, a typical 5"-6" temple measures 125mm-150mm by today's standards.

Another measurement we can provide is the overall width of the frame and/or hinge-to-hinge width. You can use this measurement to compare to a frame that you have that is similar in style.

Keep in mind that optical sizing is not consistent like shoe sizing. For example, if you wear a size 10 shoe, that's pretty much your size from shoe style to shoe style. However, with eyeglass frames, you might wear a size 40/20 in an antique wire frame, a 46/22 in a 1950s hornrim and a 58/16 in an Aviator. Although they are wildly different in terms of optical sizing, they may each fit the same face both physically and cosmetically.

Finally, frames are designed to be adjusted by an optician. A frame off the rack may be too loose, too tight or crooked. If a frame looks good on the face, but is uncomfortable, don't worry, it can most likely be adjusted to fit properly.

LD

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Heh heh! Thanks!

To be honest, I had just gotten my make up done (a practice round before my wedding) and I felt the need to camp it up.

And my hairstyling abilities are s-l-o-w-l-y improving. Oof!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Hee hee! Thanks. Took a bit of nerves to be honest--I can be so shy sometimes, and I don't think of myself as photogenic. But I just thought this picture was a hoot!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've worn glasses for about 14 years. Do I get more attention when I don't wear them? I don't know; I can't see far enough to tell.

Naama

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
My boyfriend wears big glasses with a black frame. He hates it, but I think it looks hot on him! ;)

I actually love guys with those big black framed glasses! Everyone makes fun of me because of that..... but I can't help myself lol

I actually should wear glasses, but I don't do it, because I don't see THAT bad (only when driving, then I have to wear them), and the glasses I have are ugly. But I want to get new ones as soon as possible.

Naama

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I have been in glasses from 5th grade~ I didn't get into contacts untill high school (because you know, image is everything :rolleyes: )

I usually wear my contacts, but love my glasses, they are a thick tortoisehell and 'artsy' looking. I would never have lasik surgery because a) it's scary and b) I like having the option of going back & forth with my contacts and specs.

chippler

New in Town
sorry but I think glasses are pretty annoying. You have to take them off to go swimming, they fog up when you go into a warm room in winter, it's too easy to put a fingerprint on the lens, when it rains you can't see and you have to take them off when ahem, um, getting intimate... not so fun getting intimate when everything is blurry.

I wore them for 8 years and then switched to contact lenses. I finally got laser eye surgery this year and it's awesome.

Glasses do look good, especially that sexy accountant/librarian look but I would rather nail my tongue to the wall than wear them again.

- Chris

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have pretty bad vision, been wearing glasses since I was eight years old. I moved up in the world and got contacts in high school, and since then can count on one hand the times I've actually worn my glasses in public. I only wear them at night, when I take my contacts out. It's not that I don't like the way I look in them. I just got a very cute pair of black Ray Bans, the inside lining is a pretty pink color, and I like the way I look in them. But, I see them as an annoyance. Constantly slipping off of my nose, fogging up with the slightest change in the atmosphere, always needing to wipe them off. I just see contacts as much easier to wear. I put them in first thing in the morning, and with the exception of them sometimes getting dried out on very windy or very hot days, I usually don't even realize that I'm wearing them.
So, I like glasses. I think some people look better with their glasses on then without them. My dad has always worn glasses, and I think he looks very handsome in them. He tried contacts for a while, but I always thought he looked better with his glasses on. But, for me, give me my contacts any day. If I have to wear my glasses during the day, I don't mind how they look, but I do see it as a bit of a nuisance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy