Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Doh!

One Too Many
If you're looking for a guy's opinion (I know, you didn't ask), an attractive woman is just that much more "hot" if she's wearing glasses. Don't know why; and my friends share the same opinion.

Maybe it's because my first crush wore glasses...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lady Day said:
I just ordered some vintage frames from http://www.allynscura.com/

Ill let you gals know how they look when they arrive :)

LD

Update:

Got the frames, but alas, my big o' head was just too big for the frames. So back they go :( Maybe Ill try some other frames from them. Im really looking to add a couple pairs of glasses to my vintage look.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Does anyone know how to use the measurment system for specs? Whenever I get new ones, the shop owner just steers me to the big head glasses so, I have no idea what to look for if I want to buy them online.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hi there Powder Room Girls (and Guys!)

Well, I am new here. Discovered this a while back and finally got round to joining!

This whole glasses thing - I like mine. Not vintage as I have a real hard time getting ones to fit across the bridge of my nose as it is narrow, as well as the right shape for my narrow face.

A couple of years ago I had fabulous Jo-90 style specs in dark, dark purple (who here remembers Jo-90?) Everyone used to comment on how great and retro they were. I would still be wearing them now if the colour hadn't started fading on the frames. Now I have copper coloured brushed metal ones which don't stand out as much but mean I can also wear earrings without it being TOO much.

I don't like contacts - they itch too much. I'd rather walk around without specs in a haze. It makes everyone look gorgeous!

I do have real English 40s glasses for Living History. They are very unflattering, uncomfortable and make me look a complete geek. If you have ever seen 'National Health' glasses you will know what I mean.

P.s: Quick Straw poll in my office says, they all like me with my glasses on and think I look like a completely different person without them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Does anyone know how to use the measurment system for specs? Whenever I get new ones, the shop owner just steers me to the big head glasses so, I have no idea what to look for if I want to buy them online.

I posted a reply something along the lines of this question earlier in this thread. :)

LD

olive bleu

One Too Many

I have worn glasses since i was 6, and i have always felt geeky in them.I do not wear them all the time as an adult, just on days when my eyes feel particularly strained. Maybe if i had a glamorous pair, i would feel differently about it.

I used to work for a busy catering company and i rarely wore my glasses there because I am a klutz by nature and having this metal apparatus on my face really just amplifies that. I walk into walls, trip over curbs, etc.But on the rare occasion that i did, there was one chef who would be truly ga-ga over me, and remark on how much he LOVED the librarian look.He would have to say it every single time. of course, i thought he was out of his mind.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I was just searching the boards for topics on eyeglasses - how I missed this one the first time around is beyond me!

Miss Dottie & Miss Bella Hell, you are both so cute in your specs!

I just love vintage frames! :)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I love contacts and glasses equally.

Contacts - no misting up in cold weather,
great when it rains,
makeup is appreciated more,
eye colour is (apparently) more evident

Glasses - mine are just pretty, (especially with my new hair cut)
contacts hurt when I'm looking at computer screens,
glasses don't dry out your eyes,

I love the vintage style glasses, don't think they'd suit my face shape though. Rectangular glasses are the only style to really suit me.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
My eyesight is dreadful and I have worn glasses since I was about 11. I really hate glasses and have been wearing contact lenses for 6 years, I couldn't live without them! I don't like the way I look with glasses and find them very impractical. The whole issue of touching your eyeball is pretty horrific the first few days you try them but you get used to it after a while, honest!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Eleanor Marie said:
Being from the UK, I am having trouble getting frames but will be trying soon. This is a good resource and I will go to London to get some done;
http://www.operaopera.net/page4.htm

I like the frames about half way down the page - mulit frames per pic, cats eyes style, I'd best get saving................. ;)

Look at those prices! :eek: There are cats eye ones on Retro Specs that would be much kinder on your wallet!

Zymmy

New in Town
Glasses are no good for horseback riding, so I'm pretty much all in contacts now. I have a tinted pair, so I get to have unrealistically green eyes. I love me some vintage sunglasses though. I'm thinking of getting a pair of pince nez sunglasses I saw recently, but I have a suspicion they might be really annoying to actually wear for any length of time. Has anyone tried the pince nez thing?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
I was just searching the boards for topics on eyeglasses - how I missed this one the first time around is beyond me!

Miss Dottie & Miss Bella Hell, you are both so cute in your specs!

I just love vintage frames! :)

You are very kind! If that is a picture of you (and if it is Kim_B, you are just so button cute) I love the ones you are wearing!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I have a terrible eyesight too, -10 and -9.5 (dunno if this is measured differently in different countries though..?).
My problem with glasses is that opticians tell me that I have to choose frames with a very small lens diameter, or else the lenses will be really thick bottle bottom ones. I'd love to get a pair of vintage style cateyes but I'm nervous that it won't look very good since I'm extremely myopic.
Have any of you with high dioptres tried to get a pair of cateye frames made and how did it look? On the other hand, really thick lenses would be totally authentic!:p

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Fleur De Guerre said:
Look at those prices! :eek: There are cats eye ones on Retro Specs that would be much kinder on your wallet!

Thanks Fleur, didn't know about this site - hopefully it won't be as hard on the cashflow!!! The quoted me £140 for the frames I liked on the other site - ouch!

:eusa_doh:

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I have pretty bad eyesight. I'm nearsighted, and just this year was finally able to get to an optometrist only to find that I've developed astigmatism in one eye as well (which explains why I got such a poor grade in drawing class - my teacher was constantly badgering me about my perspective assignments being slightly wonky or askew).

I love contact lenses because of the peripheral vision. I hate glasses because of the tension headaches, the possibility of fogging, slipping down the nose, etc. I'm irresponsible with my contacts though; I've been known to fall asleep in them. At least glasses are so uncomfortable you have to take them off.

I don't mind wearing glasses all that much, though. I wish I had a nice pair of vintage frames. Right now I'm stuck with these black Armanis I've had since I was 19 (they look kind of like those Buddy Holly glasses, though less severe) and I've run out of disposable contacts.

Glasses were a real trial growing up. I've worn them since I was 9, and was constantly teased over them, and still am! I've never known a guy to be interested in girls with glasses, although I adore when a man wears them. It often adds to their appeal, in my opinion.

Mojito

One Too Many
I moved to contacts when I was in my teens, and never looked back. For horseriding, scuba diving and running, I just don't think I could go back.

I recall the bad old days of having to use a heating unit to steralise contacts! I had an astigmatism as well, so was unable to use disposable contacts when the first came in. Now, astigmatisms are no issue at all, and I use bi-weekly lenses (I tried monthly over-night contacts, but they didn't work out for me).

I don't mind my glasses - I usually wear them to work one day a week, and the frames are light and delicate (thank goodness for modern technology that means lenses can be thin no matter what your visual problem!). I've never really thought about fitting lenses to vintage glasses...I'd probably just go for clear glass and wear them with contacts, or use vintage sunnies with the contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy