Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Eye-wear

I searched for a topic on eye-wear as a generalization, but couldn't find one, so please re-direct this post if starting a new topic is inappropriate :)

I have a problem where my glasses really aren't remotely 1920s, 40s or 50s looking and this often makes my styled hair look stupid and generally ruins my outfit, so much so that I don't wear vintage on a daily basis. I don't want to wear contact lenses everyday as they make my eyes dry and aren't cheap to buy. I have considered laser eye surgery to remedy these matters, but feel this is quite a drastic measure just to make my outfit work.

I wondered what you ladies do, if you too have problems and if you had any photos of your vintage eye apparel to give me some ideas of frames, looks and how to put the ensemble together.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
These are my current glasses. I got them about a year ago. Kate Spade "Camelot". I like them so much that I'll keep them for another year (and may have my glasses gal order another frame, just in case).

Polkadots!
6yWG5Wg-vi.jpg

No make up today, just lip tint.
KdAifDPIcK8yz0CVHnZ6e2B9tU2dId-vi.jpg

I have a very strong prescription and I have to get smallish frames or the edges of the lenses are so thick they have trouble getting them in the frame.
I also have a wide face, so finding smallish frames that will fit is tough! This is my 3rd or 4th pair of Kate Spade frames.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything you'll ever want to know about specs will be found right here! (Note the circa-1935 Rimway Ful-Vues on the chronic astigmatic in the avatar at left.)

BUMP!
After some time (read: years) I'm being pulled back into World of Astigmatism..
My old glasses are.. OK, but not breathtaking.
So, I need some shopping advice here:
(note the picture left from this post) - small pompadour on the top, red hair and round(ish) face.

I like these:
6785670711_aac564edf3_z.jpg

..should I go for them?

THANK YOU in advance, ladies. :yo:

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I recently got my vintage inspired glasses from UK retailer "Specsavers." I am absolutely in love with them, but there's a few problems I'm encountering.

Glasses.JPG

a) while they make everything appear a little bit crisper and more HD (who knew that my "How to Marry a Millionaire" isn't actually that bad quality, my eyes are just fuzzy)
they
b) make me incredibly dizzy after minutes of wearing them.

I've been powering through trying to get used to them, but whenever I take them off I first feel relief and then the immense need to throw up. Basically like being sea sick!

Am I doing anything wrong?

p.s. Ignore the insane smile on the left

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Did you get your prescription changed? If so, that can cause nausea and headaches for a couple of days until your eyes become adjusted. Happens to me every time I get new lenses, but it always passes. Resist the temptation to switch back to your old specs -- that only defeats the purpose.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Did you get your prescription changed? If so, that can cause nausea and headaches for a couple of days until your eyes become adjusted. Happens to me every time I get new lenses, but it always passes. Resist the temptation to switch back to your old specs -- that only defeats the purpose.

Unfortunately it's my first pair of glasses so I have nothing to compare it to!

At the moment I want to desperately not wear them at all. Especially in this heat nausea is no fun.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Unfortunately it's my first pair of glasses so I have nothing to compare it to!

At the moment I want to desperately not wear them at all. Especially in this heat nausea is no fun.

I too have been in that woozy world of addictingly crisp images and the resulting headaches and general feeling of, "whoaaaa" when the lenses come off. I think your prescription might be too strong. Take them back to your eye doc and see if that might be the case.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I too have been in that woozy world of addictingly crisp images and the resulting headaches and general feeling of, "whoaaaa" when the lenses come off. I think your prescription might be too strong. Take them back to your eye doc and see if that might be the case.

Have I seriously managed to do an eye test wrong?

Oh dear lord...

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Oh dear lord...

No need for remedial eye testing, it's more likely something as simple as your frames needing to be adjusted. If one of your ears is slightly higher than the other -- which is more common than you think -- your glasses won't sit properly and will cause eyestrain, which causes the headaches and the nausea. Your optician can make a minor adjustment to compensate for this, and you'll be fine. Many opticians won't even charge you for this service.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What's the curvature of the lenses? I recall during one of my last jaunts to the optometrist, I kept complaining that the new replacement lenses in my glasses days late continued to give me a headache. The prescriptions were the same, but the new lenses were curved like .03 something more than before and when they remade the lenses to the same curvature of the old one, no more headaches.

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
These are my current glasses. I got them about a year ago. Kate Spade "Camelot". I like them so much that I'll keep them for another year (and may have my glasses gal order another frame, just in case).

Polkadots!
View attachment 2061

Those are attractive specs. I also have Kate Spade cateye frames: the Roberta model.

21cUvBHWSbL.jpg

I have quite a round face and find that completely rimless glasses or the round forties style specs aren't flattering at all. When I got these I was quite satisfied to make merely a nodding reference to vintage. However the prospect of mixing frames that reference the fifties with forties or thirties fashions is starting to bug me.

Lily Powers

Practically Family

Oh dear lord...

No, unless you had a cheat sheet. :D Your description of what you were experiencing reminded of mine. I'm nearsighted and my lenses were made to give me the sharpest distance view. I loved it, until I tried to read or when I took them off. Then I got the woozies. The eye doc adjusted the prescription down and that's all it took.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I'm nearsighted as well. I too had a problem with my glasses giving me headaches and making me feel sick. I wore the glasses for a week to make sure it really was the glasses giving me issues.
I went back to the eye doctor, she rechecks my eyes and changed the Rx, going by my old eye glasses. I got a much better Rx the second time, free of charge. Since I've had issues with this shop before when being fitted for glasses. I no longer buy my glasses from them. I only go back just to have my eyes checked.
I buy my glasses online at Zenni and never had to return a single pair of glasses they fit me wonderfully. Plus I save more money too when I buy from Zenni, depending on the frames I buy.

The last eye check up I got, I told my eye doctor I've been getting a lot of headaches. She gave me a new Rx and the doctor told me since I sit at a computer at work I should not wear my glasses while on the computer. I should only ware my glasses when I need to see things far away. I did what my eye doctor said, the headaches stopped completely.

I only ware my glasses when I watch TV, at night when I am outside, and when I need to see things far away.

Now, when I leave the house I have to make sure I have my keys and eye glasses with me.

Here are the glasses I got from Zenni http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvi...30411-00767_zpse1b6780a.jpg.html?o=5&newest=1 rim less and no screws on the corners of the frames since I got tired of having to look for the screw driver. Plus the frames are so light weight. I no longer have painful scabs around my ears where the frames would dig in to my skin no matter how many times I bent the arms.

Cute frames TSF and Stray Cat

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm nearsighted as well.
IMG-20130411-00767_zpse1b6780a.jpg.html

Cute frames TSF and Stray Cat
Thank you. :thumb:
I've tried the rimless frames, however they don't look nice on me (maybe they do - but I don't like them much!) I prefer these ones, they are suitable both for the office and the everday doings. :nod:
Only time I've got headaches was when I first got my eyewear, way long time ago.. but, after some adjustment I was fine. (my problem was: my eyes "jumpped around" too much, and I had hard time focusing)

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Update:

I went back to the optician. They seem fine to them, the curvature on the more cat eyed pair was a bit strong so they made them a bit more flat.

They advised to give it at least a month before I begin to seriously worry. Having said that- it has already significantly improved and especially driving feels like a dream with glasses!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112