Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
vintage eyeglasses

hey folks, remember me? I know there's a big thread someplace already about eyeglasses, but I have a question particular to ladies glasses. I'm looking at getting a new set of cat eye frames. The plan is to glue the vintage-style AB rhinestones onto the corners to make them look more vintage and add some fun.

So here's my dilemma - one pair I'm considering is a light skin-toned translucent plastic, and the others are tortoise shell. How common were either? I feel like rhinestones might look weird or be a stark contrast on the tortoise shell, and I haven't seen many vintage tortoise shell frames with the rhinestones on them, but I know they're out there. So here's where I come ask the vintage folks :) Thanks!

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
If you want to put rhinestones on something, go for the plain frames to decorate. It's a lot like when you get dress in the morning. The more plain your outfit is, the more you'd be able to add accessories to it.

When it comes to the rhinestones, go with colors that compliment the color of the frame or something within the same color family.

Tortoise shell has a lot of detail already and should be able to "speak" for itself. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
thanks! the shape of the tortoiseshell is much better, but i do wish they came in another color. The color as it is does not have a lot of brown color variation, so it's not too bad. I did find some online today that don't look bad, I just feel like I see the lighter colors more on the vintage frames.

I'll be using AB rhinestones no matter what, as that is what almost every vintage frame has.

crwritt

One Too Many
How about these?
pl1747_1.600x400.1307949742.png

http://www.eyebuydirect.com/fashion-glasses-rock-deborah-p-6023.html
pl1748_1.600x400.1307949765.png

Last edited:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ACK those are so cute! I love the more neutral color. The thick plastic frames don't work well on me unless it's something a little less harsh color-wise. I'm really scared of buying frames online tho....

crwritt

One Too Many
ACK those are so cute! I love the more neutral color. The thick plastic frames don't work well on me unless it's something a little less harsh color-wise. I'm really scared of buying frames online tho....
If you believe the website, they have an excellent return policy.
I almost got those, I thought they were so cute,but I only wear reading glasses right now, so I hate to spend good money on something I'm apt to lose or break, so I opted for something cheaper.
king_image.php

If I really needed prescription ones to wear all the time, I'd try Shuron.
beige_SM.jpg
These are new, but you can find vintage ones.

I like these, too
lucky-pearl-black-fr-XS.gif

I must have too much time on my hands!

Last edited:

swinggal

One Too Many
The upswept or 'cats-eye' glasses were a very popular in the 50s and 60s. I have seen black, tortoise shell, clear, pink and yellow vintage pairs in my time vintage shopping and some were sporting rhinestones in the corners. Some also have filligree instead. Here are some vintage examples:

Vintage Millappe

il_430xN.98837807.jpg

Yes, these are from the 50s. Amazing!

Vintage_1950s_Winged_Tortoise_Cat_Eye_With_Aurora_Rhinestone_Eyeglasses_Frame.jpg

Linda-glasses-s.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
Just and fyi there is a company called Coastal contacts (coastalcontacts.com) that runs specials all the time. If your on FB check them out. I got a pair that I only paid shipping of 16 dollars on (that was WITH my perscription) and they run that "free pair" sale all the time. They have some very vintage looking glasses too.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Crwritt have you ordered from them before? I "liked" them on facebook and make sure to share the link, for friends when ever they are having their free pair sale. You can only get one free pair, but still that's a good deal. lol

crwritt

One Too Many
Crwritt have you ordered from them before? I "liked" them on facebook and make sure to share the link, for friends when ever they are having their free pair sale. You can only get one free pair, but still that's a good deal. lol

I've browsed there, but not ordered yet. I'm at the reading glasses stage and tend to lose or break mine readily, so low budget dollar store glasses fit the bill for now. If I get so i have to wear prescription all the time, I'll be looking for some
nice cat eyes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is mostly on topic- retro glasses seem to all be 50's (and very cool). What did ladies wear in the 40's? Do they make retro 40's glasses?

The specs I'm wearing in my avatar pic were probably the most common type of glasses worn by women in the '40s -- they actually date to the mid-thirties, but the style remained very popular until after the war. Most eyeglasses were more or less unisex until the mid-forties, when you began to see more ornamentation on women's frames, and this led to the more exotic styles of the fifties. There were some proto-catseye styles in the mid-forties, but they weren't yet common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto