Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
LinaSofia, they look fab on you! Wouldn't it be fun if we all met up in our Ray-Bans? I haven't worn my contacts since I got mine because I love them so much!

Romamor4

Familiar Face
I never should have looked at this thread!!! These new Ray-Bans are AMAZING and I just bought a new pair of glasses at my eye doctor :confused:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
il_570xN.162317149.jpg

I thought it would take forever to find 1940's frames but these are almost exactly like the ones in the picture I posted a few weeks ago. i sure hope they look good on me.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For the Ray-bans- I looked on their website and I couldn't find that style. Is it a UK only thing?

I did see a nice half-rimless pair on their site, but my script is too strong to have a pair of rimless. I already have a problem with my lenses cracking in rimmed frames, and I am very careful. (My current pair of glasses has a cracked lense.) I've been told that the lense cracking is due to the strength of my script. I'm looking for a new eyeglass store, because I'm getting sick of the cracking, and the store I go to is far away and expensive, which means a cracked lense is hard to replace.

Also, does anyone have any experience with America's Best?

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
For the Ray-bans- I looked on their website and I couldn't find that style. Is it a UK only thing?

I did see a nice half-rimless pair on their site, but my script is too strong to have a pair of rimless. I already have a problem with my lenses cracking in rimmed frames, and I am very careful. (My current pair of glasses has a cracked lense.) I've been told that the lense cracking is due to the strength of my script. I'm looking for a new eyeglass store, because I'm getting sick of the cracking, and the store I go to is far away and expensive, which means a cracked lense is hard to replace.

Also, does anyone have any experience with America's Best?

I looked them up on the American website, Sheeps. They're there but don't use the "womens" frames filter because they are apparently classified as men's frames (?). I'm saving up my pennies to buy a pair too! Hope there's enough RayBan awesomeness to spread around cuz I think you ladies started something. I can at least guarantee that in my town I'd be the only gal sportin' 'em!!!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I looked them up on the American website, Sheeps. They're there but don't use the "womens" frames filter because they are apparently classified as men's frames (?). I'm saving up my pennies to buy a pair too! Hope there's enough RayBan awesomeness to spread around cuz I think you ladies started something. I can at least guarantee that in my town I'd be the only gal sportin' 'em!!!

Ok, that would be why I didn't find them. How are they MEN's frames??? That has got to be a mistake. I'm reminded of that episode of Fraiser where Marty (the father character) buys a paid of ladies glasses and comments that he's getting all these looks from the ladies when walking down the street.

PinkyViolence

New in Town
I love vintage frames! Here are mine.

Syho6.jpg

I got these at Old Focals in Pasadena, CA. They are about $100, less then the $300 designer pair I found at a normal retailer. They feel like metal and have lasted longer then the other vintage style (modern made) frames I've bought in the past. I love these to death!

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Those are awesome, PinkyViolence!

My pair of glasses recently broke in half while I was cleaning them, so when I saw those Ray-Bans on the site I was so happy. They look great on the ladies who posted here!

I have a question though, if the original lens from a pair of 50s eyeglasses have been removed, can a presciption still be put in them? Or do they need the original lens to measure the size they would need to make for them to fit into the frames? If someone could answer this, I'd appreciate it very much. I really know nothing about the whole process. :p

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
^Tigerlily, it doesn't matter if the original lenses have been removed. All of my vintage frames have bean deadstock so they didn't have lenses to begin with.
PinkyViolence you rock that look!
deadpandiva, love those! please post pics when they arrive!
As for the Ray-Bans, they look great on the girls who've posted here, but I wasn't impressed when I tried them on. They looked a tad narrow and small on my face compared to the vintage ones I own. So I'm sticking to good old cat-eyes and other shapes that suit me better.

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
deadpandiva, I'm looking forward to seeing those on you when they arrive, please post a pic! When I have some spare pennies I'm going to get a pair of 40s glasses, so I can swap between them and my ray-bans depending on mood!

PinkyViolence

New in Town
Those are awesome, PinkyViolence!

I have a question though, if the original lens from a pair of 50s eyeglasses have been removed, can a presciption still be put in them? Or do they need the original lens to measure the size they would need to make for them to fit into the frames? If someone could answer this, I'd appreciate it very much. I really know nothing about the whole process. :p

Yes all the lens have been removed. I had to take my frames to another place to get the lenses put in (another $100 or so). When they put the lens in they measure out the correct size for frames. So, first you buy the frames, then you take the frames to a lenscrafters or other glasses place to have them put the lens in. Very simple!

missjones

New in Town
i posted earlier that the cat eye Ray Bans didn't suit me either. i tried both the regular frames and the sunglasses; the frames were too narrow and the sunglasses were wider but they dug into my face.

i was disappointed, but i am pleased to report that i found the Jackie Ohh sunglasses do look great so i'm getting those filled with my prescription:

RB4101-01_02.png

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Thank you cherry lips and PinkyViolence for your answers. :) I've been wondering this for a while now but kept forgetting to ask! I can't wait to get my prescription put in my vintage cateyes.

stardust

New in Town
thanks girls! :)
Becca, I love mine too! They're great aren't they! I don't think I'll be wearing my contacts much now either... :D

I'm short sighted so don't need them when I'm at the computer (8 hrs a day at work!). Other than that I don't take them off and I NEVER wore my glasses. I get compliments left right and center. Glad you girls are enjoying yours just as much :)

stardust

New in Town
Ok, that would be why I didn't find them. How are they MEN's frames??? That has got to be a mistake. I'm reminded of that episode of Fraiser where Marty (the father character) buys a paid of ladies glasses and comments that he's getting all these looks from the ladies when walking down the street.

This is where I got the model from (AU site) but perhaps you could use this to enquire at the Opticians?

click

Deadman

New in Town
Hi, we can fit what ever style of lens you want into a frame from standard plastic to high index anti reflection coated and anything in between. If you want flat glass period lenses we can even have those made and fitted.

Take a look and please ask if you have a specific need.
http://www.deadmensspex.com

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got my new glasses on Monday!

2l8g3tg.jpg

I wore them out of the house on Tuesday, got lots of compliments. They are made by Shuron, and are called Nusir Royale: http://www.shuron.com/nusir1.htm. The color I have is called "Mauve" (really a deep red with rhinestones and flowers). I love them. I bought the frames from simplyeyeglasses.com, as they had the best price.

I also got high index lenses, as I had a problem with my polycarbonite lenses cracking (apparently they now cut the lenses with routers, which causes the poly to crack). These glasses are lighter than my old ones now- the lenses are so thin. The frames are light as well. When I went into the optical shop, the technician was really excited about my glasses and showed them around the office, because he remembers them the first time around.

I've never liked a pair of glasses so much!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana